Different Door Keys

Anything Corvair related
erco

Different Door Keys

Post by erco »

My '67 Monza has always had different keys for driver door (also the ignition key) and passenger door. Kind of a pain to have 2 different keys. My driver door key doesn't even really fit in the passenger door. I always assumed the passenger door lock was haphazardly replaced at some point. I just called a locksmith to inquire about re-keying the passenger door lock and he told me that GM did that on purpose from the factory.

True or false?
joelsplace

Re: Different Door Keys

Post by joelsplace »

I wouldn't use that locksmith. GM did not do that.
I would guess someone replaced the driver's lock and ignition switch at some point.
What letter do the keys have on them? That will tell you if they are even from the right year. '66 and prior have the same key blanks but in '67 they started rotating them every 4 years. My old brain can't keep all the years and letters straight but they never used a different blank for the driver vs passenger door or differently cut key for that matter. You can check the key cut against the number on the lock cylinder to see if it has been changed.

From 1936 through 1966 GM used the number 15 Groove on their key blanks.
The blanks were made by Briggs and Stratton.
The Hex Head part number is 32318 from B&S, H1098LA from ILCO, and B10 from Curtis and others.
The Pear Head part number is 32319 from B&S, O1098LA from ILCO, and B11 from Curtis and others.
In 1967 GM went to the "A" key for ignition (Rectangle head) but also used the old style Octagon head.
In 1967 GM went to the "B" key for the glove box (Oval Head) but also used the old style Pear head.
In 1968 GM went to the "C" key for ignition (Rectangle head)
In 1968 GM went to the "D" key for the glove box (Oval Head)
In 1969 GM went to the "E" key for ignition (Rectangle head)
In 1969 GM went to the "H" key for the glove box (Oval Head)
In 1970 GM went to the "J" key for the ignition (Rectangle head)
In 1970 GM went to the "K" key for the glove box (Oval Head)
In 1971 GM went to the "A" key for ignition (Rectangle head)
In 1971 GM went to the "B" key for the glove box (Oval Head)
They continued rotating the blanks from year to year until they went with the double sided convenience key that could be inserted either way.

From http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,993843
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I just checked my late '66 Sport Sedan. The hex head key opens both doors and the ignition. The pear head key opens the trunk and glove box. Both blanks are the same style as all previous year Corvairs.
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

TYVM joelsplace. You are truly the key master!
erco

Post by erco »

One more question for the key master:

I need just the trunk lock shaft/rod for my '67. Clark's only lists one for 60-64: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C1232

That rod looks just like this one for a '67 GTO:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/66-67-GTO-Chev ... 1165418600

NAPA sells the whole lock kit for under $10: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHTLK11

Seems like a part Dorman would sell.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Give one of the Corvair vendors a call. I'm sure you'll find one. I have several laying around but I don't know what they fit.
Northlake, TX
DawidBrook

Post by DawidBrook »

Ask a locksmith to install a new door on both sides and make a single key for it so that you won't have to use different keys to unlock it. I also have done that thing when for the first time i called a locksmith for emergency lockout services, there they helped me installing the locks with same key.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Agreed the locksmith's advice was incorrect. Unfortunately now it's hard to find a locksmith who can work on 50 some year old GM locks. The last good locksmith's shop I used closed ten years ago -- and I live in a BIG city.

The LM front trunk lock rod is an oddball part. It has a bend since the lock and mechanism are off center. I got a replacement trunk lock from Clark's that bound up badly when you turned it with the key. A "slight" adjustment to the original lock rod and it fixed the problem. Note: the rod worked fine in my other car with the original lock.

Return to “Corvair Talk”