1961 Monza 900 Compression good, No power

All Models and Years
jbragg33

1961 Monza 900 Compression good, No power

Post by jbragg33 »

The car is up and running, but we have run into some power issues. The compression is good, however it seems to have an issue on the left side according to my mechanic, and he couldn't figure it out. It sat for years, so I had hoped that with a little bit of driving it would solve the issue. What I got was limited power with acceleration. It idles great, but once in gear it acts like it is going to die unless you feather the accelerator. It has an oil leak that will have to be addressed, so it was also smoking quite a bit by the time I got it back home from its road test. Any thoughts out there?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1961 Monza 900 Compression good, No power

Post by bbodie52 »

Manual or Powerglide automatic transmission? Stock distributor with pints and condenser, or modified with a breakerless electronic ignition? (If modified, what kind of electronic ignition system?) If it sat for a long time, have the carburetors been disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt?

Does it have the orignal distributor or the 1962 and later distributor (distributor cap with attachment screws on the cap, rater than the 1960-1961 clip on distributor cap. Manual choke carburetors?

New (1962-69) and Old (1960-61) Corvair Distributors

Can you post some pictures of the engine compartment?
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Smoking from where? Smoke out of the exhaust means either oil rings not sealing or the car just has not been run in a long time and needs to burn accumulated oils out of itself. General smoke is likely from debris in the shrouding and or oil leaks.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I would bet one carburetor is stopped up.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
jbragg33

Post by jbragg33 »

Thanks for the reply and ideas. The carbs have been removed and rebuilt. It is a powerglide automatic transmission. The ignition coil has been replaced.

Here are a couple of pictures of the engine:
Attachments
IMG_1102.jpg
IMG_1104.jpg
IMG_1105.jpg
IMG_1106.jpg
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Lots of rebuilt carburetors either aren't done right or get stopped up again immediately from trash in the fuel system.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Fan on alternator is wrong fan. It is set up for a standard rotation V8 or whatever . You need a Corvair fan ( which has the fan blades et in the other direction to put on that internally regulated alternator. That fan will not cool the alternator well when run in a CCW direction.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”