63 first issues...

Anything Corvair related
bkeyes

63 first issues...

Post by bkeyes »

Hello, I recently bought a pretty nice 63 convertible. Previous owner stated torque converter was bad. As soon as fluid is added and it is placed in gear there is a constant drip of trans fluid in the bell housing area. Stick shows empty within an hour or so. Just trying to gather ideas on this. Drive line will be removed in the fall.

The other oddity is that I noticed a clunking in the front suspension and found that the outboard end of the pitman arm is contacting the driver side tie rod. It looks to be installed correctly but I am not 100% sure. Anyone ever seen this?

Any ideas would be helpful! I am really excited to get this car road ready!
joelsplace

Re: 63 first issues...

Post by joelsplace »

The leak could just be a converter seal or a hole in the converter. You'll want to clean it up good and try to identify the leak before you take it apart.
I can't see the pitman arm contacting the tie rod unless something is seriously bent. Pictures?
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bkeyes

Post by bkeyes »

I have pictures to post but I can't seem to figure out how to post them.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Use POST REPLY instead of QUICK REPLY. POST REPLY provides you with additional options and features, including the ability to upload multiple photograph image files (ATTACHMENTS) from your computer and position them within the body of your text message. LOOK FOR THE ATTACHMENTS TAB AT THE BOTTOM. Clicking on it exposes the Add Files button so that you can select photo image files from your hard drive.

The photo images will become visible when you click on PREVIEW or SUBMIT.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bkeyes

Post by bkeyes »

20200812_201021.jpg
20200812_200836.jpg
Here are 2 pics of the interference. Where the pitman arm mounts to the relay rod, that joint is hitting the tie rod on the driver side. Both pics are with the wheel off so the interference is not shown but you can see the wear mark on the tie rod!

Ps: thank you for straightening me out on the pictures! Ugh!
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've never had that happen.
Your pitman arm bushing is shot. Order a nylon one from one of the vendors.
That isn't your interference problem though.
I can't tell from the picture but is the tie rod straight? If it is I would bet the center link is bent.
Northlake, TX
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Here's a 64. Same parts.
It looks like the tie rod clamp would hit from the picture but it doesn't.
Are you sure it is hitting or is that damage from something else?
Attachments
20200814_134640.jpg
Northlake, TX
bkeyes

Post by bkeyes »

It is definitely hitting. I could feel it in the wheel every time the suspension moved when I went for my short ride. I should be able to get it on my lift later this week so I can get a better look and get some better pics. I will get that nylon bushing ordered. Tie rod appears straight but I will double check.
bkeyes

Post by bkeyes »

Here is an update: I started preparing for power train removal today. Got all the under hood stuff completed. Got the car on my lift and began on the under car stuff. Went pretty good but had a tough time getting the axle bearing retainers to separate from the brake panels. Any tricks here? I could not get the speedo cable to come out though. I have the nut backed off but the cable itself will not come out. I sprayed it with some blaster and will try again tomorrow. Any ideas there? There was not a drop of atf in the trans pan when I removed the filler tube. However the diff fluid leaking out where the u joints are is very red like it has probably got a lot of atf in it.
So if I can get the speedo cable to release I should only have the 3 mounting nuts to remove and lower the unit down. Very exciting!
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If there is ATF in the differential the pinion seals are bad. That means a complete tear down of the differential.
ATF will ruin the ring and pinion quickly.
Northlake, TX
bkeyes

Post by bkeyes »

Ok, I have the power train removed. Removed all of the tin from the engine and separated the diff / trans assy from the engine yesterday. I drained the diff and it was full of atf. The converter has no visible signs of leakage on the outside. At this point I am probably looking for someone with experience in these things to take a look at it. More than likely the axle seals are bad as well. Could anyone recommend someone in my area to go to? I am in Alliance, Ohio but close enough to Akron / Canton and Youngstown as well. Here are a couple of pics of pile of parts to clean up!
Attachments
20200906_164409.jpg
20200906_165036.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

bkeyes wrote: » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:19 am

At this point I am probably looking for someone with experience in these things to take a look at it. More than likely the axle seals are bad as well. Could anyone recommend someone in my area to go to? I am in Alliance, Ohio but close enough to Akron / Canton and Youngstown as well.
Your best bet to find local Corvair support is to contact the local CORSA club chapter. They can likely provide recommendations and references for local support far better than most members of the Corvair Forum, who are generally not living in your area...

There are five chapters of the Corvair Society of America (CORSA) in your home state, and one of them appears to be practically in your back yard!

Friends of Corvair North Canton, OH (Less than 20 miles)
:link: http://friendsofcorvair.com/
"Friends of Corvair" is just that - a friendly club dedicated to fun, fellowship, and the enjoyment of the Corvair. Our nearly 100 members hail from all over north east and east central Ohio, with the Canton area as a central hub. We do things! Monthly gatherings are hosted by our various members, and can range from a simple dinner meeting to a road trip, picnic, museum tour, or any number of interesting activities. One thing's for sure....all of them include food! All age groups are represented, and families are encouraged to participate. Many of our members travel to regional and national CORSA meets to participate, compete, and show their cars. In Friends of Corvair, people are the focus; our common interest in the Corvair is the vehicle to bring us together. We welcome you as a Friend!
Sample Newsletter:
The Spinner Newsletter - Friends of Corvair - August 2020.pdf
The Spinner Newsletter - Friends of Corvair - August 2020
(728.73 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Brad Bodie
bkeyes

Post by bkeyes »

I know this is an old thread but I have solved most of the issues I threw out here and wanted to thank those who responded. First off, when I tore into the front end it was obvious what the interference was. Badly bent center link. Found a used one in great shape and ordered all new tie rods and pitman bushing. My trans fluid leak ended up being (more then likely) the seal between the trans and the diff. Diff was full of atf and level was right up to where the axle seals are. I joined up with a local corvair club and found a guy close to me who has a lot of knowledge and tons of parts. I purchased a recently rebuilt trans / diff unit from him and a ton of other parts. So now that weather is improving here in Ohio I am about ready to get the power pack back in the car. Thanks again for all of the help! I have more questions but will start a new post.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :ty: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Always good to get feedback and hear of successful progress. Looking forward to hearing more!
Brad Bodie

Return to “Corvair Talk”