OIL COOLER VERSIONS

All Models and Years
Mcwho

OIL COOLER VERSIONS

Post by Mcwho »

I have a 1965 Monza 110 coupe 4 speed. I am starting to discover different parts from what I expected. It started with a shifter problem. Now looking at the engine we see a air leak on cylinder #2, also I see my oil cooler has 4 sets of vanes. Apparently, for other research 4 fins, 6 fins and 12 fins units were used over the years. Is a 4 fin cooler sufficient for my engine, should I see a 8 fin or 12 fin unit or look for an aftermarket oil cooler. I don't see good sources for anything but used OE coolers.
20200724_102500.jpg
1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 110, 4 speed, Liberty Blue
terribleted

Re: OIL COOLER VERSIONS

Post by terribleted »

The oil cooler you have I have always been told is the most efficient. There were 3 plate, 8 plate, and 12 plate coolers as well as this 4 plate folded fin one that you have. I feel the 4 FF cooler plate IF it is clean is as good as the 8 plate. I would not run a 3 plate cooler. I would likely not go to the trouble to modify or collect proper shroud pieces to convert from a 4 plate or an 8 plate to the 12 plate for a stock 110HP or lower engine. Get some hew viton oil cooler seals, take that one off the car and clean it well. Get the crud out of the fins and you have a very good oil cooler.

This cooler would have been stock on a 64 110 engine what year is your engine?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

Terrible Ted
Thanks i feel better about this issue now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Stock Corvair cooling has evolved over the years into a good, reliable system. The implementation of better fan belt designs, a lightweight magnesium blower, and belt guides helped to improve reliability. (The lightweight magnesium blower greatly reduced the "flywheel effect" over the earlier design heavy steel fans. The heavier steel blower fan "fights" changes in engine speed, causing additional strain on the fan belt).

Several stock oil coolers were included with different Corvair engines over the years, and switching to the design that utilizes the 12 plate oil cooler is likely the best bet to improve oil cooling over some earlier designs with less heat transfer capability. The earliest design looks like a finned radiator. This design was also good as it promoted better heat transfer to the passing cooling air. However, the tight folded fin design is somewhat difficult to keep clean and unblocked by dirt, leaves, etc., and an oil cooler that is blocked by dirt cannot transfer heat, since air cannot pass through the blocked cooling fins.

Installing a black, multiple cooling fin aluminum oil pan and valve covers (such as the Otto Parts items offered by Clark's Corvair Parts) can also enhance engine cooling by transferring heat away from the engine oil. If you look at the design of the Otto Parts oil pan below, you will see numerous cooling fins externally and a number of internal posts (24) that add to the total conductive surface between the pan and the outside air, and between the pan and the crankcase oil. The black anodized finish also helps with the transfer of heat to the external air. Polished external surfaces on an oil pan or on valve covers actually inhibits heat transfer to the air. A good synthetic oil also handles engine heat better than conventional motor oils.

Here is a link to a good technical article that discusses Corvair oil coolers:

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/oil-cooler.html

Corvair Oil Cooler Comparison

This was copied from the 1961 shop manual:

Clark's Corvair Parts - Otto Parts Oil Pan and Valve Covers

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... age=OTTO-1

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... age=OTTO-3
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

I have the air cooler cleaned pretty well, lots of blCk crud inside.
Mine is a 65 110 with a 4 speed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Corvair Forum mobile app

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

If it still has black crud inside it is not clean. Soaking the cooler in a gallon can of carb cleaner and working on the with a brush gats a lot of the crud off. Blowing through the fins with a pressure washer after soaking is very helpful. Repeat the process more than once if necessary. Running carb cleaner or brake cleaner through the inside as a rinse after soaking helps as well.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Be cautious with a pressure washer on a folded fin cooler. The fins are fragile. All the other coolers are fine with a pressure washer. Thanks for that idea Ted. A pressure washer for cleaning the cooler on the car would work great.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

joelsplace wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:51 am Be cautious with a pressure washer on a folded fin cooler. The fins are fragile. All the other coolers are fine with a pressure washer. Thanks for that idea Ted. A pressure washer for cleaning the cooler on the car would work great.
You can clean all of them with that externally, but, yes you must know how to use the tool. You can bend the fins on a folded fin if you really bear down on them at an angle. I clamp the cooler to a board to pressure wash:)

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”