On the Subject of Rust

Anything Corvair related
erco

On the Subject of Rust

Post by erco »

Informative article on why cars from the 50's & 60s rust so much. Doesn't make me feel any better though.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotiv ... ge-of-rust
terribleted

Re: On the Subject of Rust

Post by terribleted »

Yup anti-corrosion steps and galvanizing etc. were not common back in the day.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

At least they did not make the chassis out of wood, so that held up better than the older wagons. But they still used old-fashioned things like carburetors and distributors with ignition points instead of computer-controlled Electronic Fuel Injection and distributorless computer-controlled electronic ignition, so you are still confronted with frequent tune-ups and less reliability. The first Corvairs (1960-62) only had road draft tubes instead of Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) systems, which produced more air pollution and were more-prone to crankcase engine sludge build up if you did failed to change the oil frequently. 1960's tires weren't so good either, and all Corvairs benefit from improved tire reliability, improved handling, and improved braking performance that modern tire technology automatically provides to the old Corvair. Seat belts came along too, in the mid-1960's. But you still have to crank the side windows...

But... you can't buy the class and fun of a 1960's vintage classic Corvair at the modern car showroom today, so if you opt to drive a Corvair, you will likely find yourself to be the center of attention when you simply stop at a gas station or pass through a McDonald's drive-thru!

:neener: ::-): :burnout: :swerve: :Love it: :LMs rule: :EMs Rule: :goofywave:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
erco

Post by erco »

Re: "... you will likely find yourself to be the center of attention when you simply stop at a gas station or pass through a McDonald's drive-thru!"

Yes, that exact thought occurs to me going through McD's drive thrus now in my electric Leaf. Whether they know or appreciate it, the drive-thru workers are breathing no exhaust fumes or carbon monoxide from my EV. But the tide will turn when my gross polluter Corvair gets rolling and storms the drive thru. That stinky diesel truck is NOTHING compared my '67 140's rich exhaust.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

When i go through the McDonald's drive thru in my Corvair, I've had the employees hanging out of the drive thru window with their cell phone cameras trying to take a picture of it! They don't seem to mind the exhaust fumes.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Corvair Talk”