New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
500corvair

Post by 500corvair »

Hi, owned this 66 500 money pit since 2014. Haven't seen another on the road down here in southern Alabama, although they are out there. My ride has mag wheels from a Chevy S-10.
Attachments
Corvair 500 (207).jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New Member

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

You declared your Corvair 500 to be a "money pit". Depending on its original condition when you bought it, and whether or not you do your own work on the car, they can be something of a "money pit". Could you tell us about some of the difficulties you have had with the car, how it stands now, and what your future plans are for it?

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your first post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your 1966 500. Some detailed photographs of the car — including the VIN and Body Tags in the engine compartment — can be very helpful. If you can provide your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

All cars are money pits if they aren't taken care of or you pay someone else to work on them. Corvairs are very reasonable for a 60s collector car.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
500corvair

Post by 500corvair »

1966 500 Base model, 87,xxx miles. 90 hp and Powerglide. I had to drill the hubs for the metric studs so I could use the center caps. Gone through three fuel pumps. The oxygenated fuel separates out after awhile leaving a chalky substance behind that has caused me to disassemble the carbs twice and Chem Dip them to clean them out. Now that I have access to non-oxy gas life is better.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Sounds like you need to clean the gas tank. What is your engine number? http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/CorvAIRCRA ... uffix.html
Attachments
Engine number
Engine number
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
500corvair

Post by 500corvair »

Don't know the engine number. I removed the tank two years ago and used a tank coat. Gas comes out clean, New sending unit and sock.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

500corvair wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:32 pm Don't know the engine number. I removed the tank two years ago and used a tank coat. Gas comes out clean, New sending unit and sock.
I've read several posts over the years about "tank coatings" that failed. Really makes a mess of the fuel system. I'd suggest a new gas tank.

For about a decade now the mechanical fuel pumps have had issues making them unreliable. Electric fuel pumps solve the problem and do not vapor lock.

Both my Vairs got new fuel tanks, Gates "Barricade" alcohol fuel hose, electric fuel pumps, blue nitrile carb accerlator pump cups (California Corvair sells them) and I've had no fuel issues.

Return to “Introductions”