65 Corvair Monza sway bar bushings

All Models and Years
65CherryMonza

65 Corvair Monza sway bar bushings

Post by 65CherryMonza »

Hey guys I'm new to the forum I just got my 65 Corvair last week and she is awesome! Looks and rides like a dream...
But I do have a couple of issues I need to address first one is my front sway bar bushings need replacing soon. Any ideas where I can source them ?
I also have a little hole in one of the tail lights. Need to get a new one and I also have an old leak somewhere on the engine it's not leaking like crazy but enough that I want to address it.
I'm looking forward to communicating with the community.
Thanks in advance guys !
Attachments
20200702_211001.jpg
terribleted

Re: 65 Corvair Monza sway bar bushings

Post by terribleted »

Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest supplier with the most inventory. They are a top drawer outfit. The are other vendors as well. California Corvairs has always done me right. Clarks Paper catalog is the best way to browse their extensive inventory. Their online search is not the best. You can view the catalog page by page at their website I suppose, but, with an order paper one is free. It is roughly 1" thick. Clark's is http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/main

For used items Corvair Ranch, maybe California Corvairs. There are a number of people parting Corvairs out as well. Names to look for on Facebook forums (Corvair Owners Group, Corvair Trader and a number of other Corvair related pages). or here and Corvair Center Forum Steve Morton and Dave Watson are just 2 of many
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
65CherryMonza

Post by 65CherryMonza »

Thanks for the reply I already checked them out and send them an email in regards to the bushings. As I'm in Canada I probably have to pay a bit extra for shipping but if I get what I need it's well worth it...
erco

Post by erco »

What a beauty! Definite order from Clarks and enjoy that car!

Oil leaks are possible from many places, including 24 pushrod tube O-rings......
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

ImageImage

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=154 (Front Suspension Section includes pages 154-157A) :wrench: :thumbsupwink:

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... _page=167B

It would be helpful if you would provide more specifics about your engine oil leak. (Front bell housing area, oil pan or valve covers, push rod tube area (sheet metal on either side of the oil pan), rear crankshaft pulley area, or the area to the left of the crankshaft, below the alternator (in the vicinity of the oil cooler) are common locations. If it is an old oil leak, it may be necessary to do some cleaning with spray cleaner/degreaser to help you to localize the source.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites:

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Dave Motohead How to DIY YouTube Video Library:
:link: https://www.youtube.com/user/davemotohead1/videos

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your earlier post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair. Some detailed photographs of the car — including the VIN and Body Tags in the engine compartment — can be very helpful. If you can provide your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience.
Orange 1965 Monza Coupe from Canada (2).jpg
ImageImage
Canadian Corvair Info: :link: https://www.corvaircorsa.com/cdn01.html
Canadian Corvair Stats: :link: http://www.corvairkid.com/66stats.htm

Sample Canadian Corvair Vehicle Identification Number and Body Tag...
Image510737008019 1965 (5) Chevrolet (1) Corvair Corsa (07) 2-Door Sport Coupe (37) Vehicle Unit No: 008019
Body Tag
STYLE: 10737 = Chevrolet (1) Corvair Corsa (07) 2-Door Sport Coupe (37), 1-5-27 = Production Date: 1 = 1st Shift, 5-27 = May 27 (1965) at the Oshawa, Ontario, Canada assembly plant.

BODY NO: 268263

PAINT: J = DK. GREEN (Cypress Green Poly.)

Canadian Corvair Production Figures.jpg

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
65CherryMonza

Post by 65CherryMonza »

Thanks guys for all the replies.

I ordered myself a bunch of parts from Clark's Corvair on Monday. Bushings for my sway bar tail light lenses license plate light as that was missing and a spare belt.

Now I'm waiting patiently for them to arrive.

About the oil leak from what I can make out I got some oil coming from the push rods and some from the bell housing it's nothing dramatic yet. But I also noticed that there is alot of dirt in my bell housing so I probably have to get my engine out at some point to get it all cleaned and checked. I did about 50 miles the other day and she just ran beautiful. I was very impressed. Got her safety done and properly licensed her.

My background is German I came to Canada about 14 years ago to be with my now wife. I have always been into classic cars but never had the money to afford one. I love the Corvair as it has that European front and the rear looks like a little dodge charger. It's the perfect mix of European and American car design in my eyes.
I am a trained industrial mechanic (millwright) I know my way around tools but as I have two little girls (2&4) I don't have a hole lot of time. One of the reasons why I looked for one in good shape. But I do want to learn as much as I can so eventually I can pass that knowledge on to my girls.

My Corvair is a 1965 Monza 2.8 V6 110hp automatic she got about 70k miles on the odometer. From what I saw she got new springs all around new shocks in the back (front ones are leaking a bit) the rear brakes must have been done recently. The front ones are in good condition. The car has been repainted and the interior was done as well.
She is in great shape overall and I can't take my eyes of her I'll attach some more pictures as well.

Thanks again guys for the warm welcome.
Attachments
20200706_183012.jpg
20200704_210109.jpg
20200704_134308.jpg
20200704_134443.jpg
20200704_131140.jpg
20200704_131246.jpg
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Oil leaks are common until they have been properly addressed at least once. The Oil at the rear of the engine could be from pushrod tubes, or top block cover, or previous spills while filling, or oil cap, rear crank seak. or or or. Best way to find these leaks is to remove some sheet metal (lower shrouds at least) and thoroughly clean and degrease everything. Then operate the engine and look closely for the source.

The leak under the center from the bellhousing can be either oil or trans fluid/gear oil. You did not say whether your car is a stick shift or an automatic, but I can tell it is an automatic from the air intake in the right side of the bellhousing. In any case first identify what fluid is dripping there. Red will be auto trans fluid. Engine oil coming out the bottom of the bellhousing is caused by leakage at the front crankshaft seal. Trans fluid leakage by the torque convertor seal. Replacing either of these seals require removal and separation of the powertrain. (if you go after these do both while you are there). Often the crankshaft has a little wear on it where the seal rides and a new seal will still leak. Clark's sells a spacer that slightly repositions the seal in the bellhousing so it rides on a slightly different spot on the crank. I have had good results using these. To change the front crank seal a bellhousing gasket and oil pan gasket are also needed as the seal mounts from the engine side of the bellhousing.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Congratulations on your beautiful Corvair choice, on your two little girls, and on your desire to teach them about Corvairs in their future as they grow up. I spent a great deal of time with my granddaughter when she was that age, and with another granddaughter (caring for her all day, every day 5-7 days a week in her first year). It is amazing how much time and energy they absorb! I ended each day with them exhausted, but happy!

You may have to invest in a second Corvair — perhaps an Early Model (1961-1964) so each girl can choose their own project car adventure to focus on as they get older and they won't have to fight over your one Corvair.

What part of Germany are you from? I lived in the Kaiserslautern (Ramstein Air Base) area in Southwest Germany from 1980-1983 and loved living in Germany. My wife and I had these two Corvair Corsas with us while we were stationed there with the Air Force. In 1983 I was transferred to Southern California, so I shipped the Corvair convertible from Bremerhaven to Los Angeles, and the coupe from Bremerhaven to New Jersey so we could drive it from New Jersey to Georgia (to visit relatives), and then across country to California. That was a long, hot drive with a family of four in the Corsa coupe in August 1983, but the car did fine and never had any mechanical problems.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Cragars look really good on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
65CherryMonza

Post by 65CherryMonza »

Thanks I think so too. Thought about changing them at first but it's kinda nice looking...
doug6423 wrote:Cragars look really good on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Sent from my SM-N975W using Corvair Forum mobile app

65CherryMonza

Post by 65CherryMonza »

I grew up in East Germany 2h south of Berlin and an 1 1/2 east of Dresden. Close to the polish border.

I miss it too especially as I had a trip planned for August with the hole family and we had to cancel due this stupid virus.

Best thing about Germany is the autobahn every time I visit I just have to go drive on it... [emoji1787]

Ya my girls are not that interested yet but I'm sure that will change over time I'll keep pushing the subject. But I don't think I will get a second Corvair as my wife would kill me...

That way they learn to share... Also the way other people drive I don't want them in a car without seatbelts. I rather by them a tank... Maybe a German tiger... [emoji28]
bbodie52 wrote:Congratulations on your beautiful Corvair choice, on your two little girls, and on your desire to teach them about Corvairs in their future as they grow up. I spent a great deal of time with my granddaughter when she was that age, and with another granddaughter (caring for her all day, every day 5-7 days a week in her first year). It is amazing how much time and energy they absorb! I ended each day with them exhausted, but happy!

You may have to invest in a second Corvair — perhaps an Early Model (1961-1964) so each girl can choose their own project car adventure to focus on as they get older and they won't have to fight over your one Corvair.

What part of Germany are you from? I lived in the Kaiserslautern (Ramstein Air Base) area in Southwest Germany from 1980-1983 and loved living in Germany. My wife and I had these two Corvair Corsas with us while we were stationed there with the Air Force. In 1983 I was transferred to Southern California, so I shipped the Corvair convertible from Bremerhaven to Los Angeles, and the coupe from Bremerhaven to New Jersey so we could drive it from New Jersey to Georgia (to visit relatives), and then across country to California. That was a long, hot drive with a family of four in the Corsa coupe in August 1983, but the car did fine and never had any mechanical problems.

65CherryMonza

Post by 65CherryMonza »

terribleted wrote:Oil leaks are common until they have been properly addressed at least once. The Oil at the rear of the engine could be from pushrod tubes, or top block cover, or previous spills while filling, or oil cap, rear crank seak. or or or. Best way to find these leaks is to remove some sheet metal (lower shrouds at least) and thoroughly clean and degrease everything. Then operate the engine and look closely for the source.

The leak under the center from the bellhousing can be either oil or trans fluid/gear oil. You did not say whether your car is a stick shift or an automatic, but I can tell it is an automatic from the air intake in the right side of the bellhousing. In any case first identify what fluid is dripping there. Red will be auto trans fluid. Engine oil coming out the bottom of the bellhousing is caused by leakage at the front crankshaft seal. Trans fluid leakage by the torque convertor seal. Replacing either of these seals require removal and separation of the powertrain. (if you go after these do both while you are there). Often the crankshaft has a little wear on it where the seal rides and a new seal will still leak. Clark's sells a spacer that slightly repositions the seal in the bellhousing so it rides on a slightly different spot on the crank. I have had good results using these. To change the front crank seal a bellhousing gasket and oil pan gasket are also needed as the seal mounts from the engine side of the bellhousing.
Thanks for all that information much appreciated.
It's definitely oil not trans fluid.
It's not leaking much when she sits but after a cruise she drips a bit.
I thought about taking off the sheet metal as I headed it just causes extra heat for no reason and that alot of guys leave it off. Is that true ?

At some point I would like to drop engine and tranny out to fully service them and get all the oil leaks addressed. But don't think I can tackle that in my garage as I can't get the car high enough without a lift. Maybe I'll see if guys from the local club have the setup to help me get that done.

Next I got to do is get the Öl change and transmission change done the last owner said that it needs it. Do I have to by a filter from Clark's or are there filters available at automotive stores ?

I also noticed the power wire to the starter has a burn mark right in the connection to the starter and it has me a bit worried. So I need to get myself a proper cable to get that fixed.

Thanks again for all the input very much appreciated.

erco

Post by erco »

Leave the sheet metal, it's required for airflow and to let the thermostatic doors regulate temperature, and direct hot air rearward away from the car.

Oil filters... probably not is stock at your local parts store but they can order it for you. Pep Boys got me some.

Battery cables (to the starter) can come from anywhere, Pep Boys, even Walmart. Prices vary ridiculously, I just got a positive (starter) cable and neg ground cable from Walmart, both under $7. Manufacturers are starting to discontinue the traditional big lead terminals.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-LF ... s/16006692
65CherryMonza

Post by 65CherryMonza »

erco wrote:Leave the sheet metal, it's required for airflow and to let the thermostatic doors regulate temperature, and direct hot air rearward away from the car.

Oil filters... probably not is stock at your local parts store but they can order it for you. Pep Boys got me some.

Battery cables (to the starter) can come from anywhere, Pep Boys, even Walmart. Prices vary ridiculously, I just got a positive (starter) cable and neg ground cable from Walmart, both under $7. Manufacturers are starting to discontinue the traditional big lead terminals.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-LF ... s/16006692
Ok I'll leave it on I wish mine would have a seperate temperature gauge as I only have a light and I'm not even sure if it works.
Maybe I got to change over the dash or add an extra temperature gauge for the engine.
The cable that on my car is aftermarket it seams to be a 6 gauge but my local car store only had 8 gauge... Not sure what it is original but last think I want to do is burn her down. Electrical isn't my strong suit.

erco

Post by erco »

Adding an oil temp gauge (water temp gauges work too) is a helpful add-on, as is an oil pressure gauge. I have both, and I'm adding a vacuum gauge & voltmeter to my underdash bezel.
65CherryMonza

Post by 65CherryMonza »

erco wrote:Adding an oil temp gauge (water temp gauges work too) is a helpful add-on, as is an oil pressure gauge. I have both, and I'm adding a vacuum gauge & voltmeter to my underdash bezel.
Where or how would be the best way to install an oil temperature gauge. Is there maybe a video or a link ?

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”