140 Carbs and Linkages

All Models and Years
tomk1960

140 Carbs and Linkages

Post by tomk1960 »

My 65 140 engine came with a box of partially disassembled carbs and it appears that I'm missing various linkages. Before I even start to rebuild these, I need to know what I'm missing - specifically the linkages going from primary to secondary carbs. Would someone be willing to send me some pics of a complete set of 140 carbs bolted together? I know that the long cross shaft I have is also wrong. :angry:

You can email pics to me at tomk1960@yahoo.com

Thanks!
"We are the people our parents warned us about."
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 140 Carbs and Linkages

Post by bbodie52 »

I have attached a copy of Roger Parent's November 2019 catalog. You may want to consider this option. I have also attached some factory carburetor linkage material which may be useful.

In addition to a variety of carburetor linkages for 2 carburetor, 4x1 140 hp carburetors, turbocharged engine carburetors, and even a center-mounted 4-barrel arrangement, Roger Parent also offers aluminum replacement pulleys for those fragile, aging pulleys used on Corvair cable-actuated parking brakes and clutch cables! An excellent idea considering the hassle of having your parking brake or clutch system fail while on the road! Many other items also available for your Corvair. Check out the catalog!!

His contact information from the catalog is shown below...

Any questions drop me a line at rlparent@cox.net

Address:
Roger Parent
1349 Clove St.
El Cajon, CA 92021
Attachments
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - CARBURETOR & FUEL SYSTEM.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - CARBURETOR & FUEL SYSTEM
(3.92 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
DELCO ROCHESTER - Models H, HV Carburetor Service Guide.pdf
DELCO ROCHESTER - Models H, HV Carburetor Service Guide
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE TUNE-UP.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE TUNE-UP
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6M - ENGINE FUEL.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6M - ENGINE FUEL
(8.87 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6M - ENGINE FUEL 4x1 Carburetors.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6M - ENGINE FUEL 4x1 Carburetors
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
Roger Parent Catalog 11-02-19.pdf
Roger Parent Catalog
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

On the other forum a fellow named Roger Parent sells an after market linkage kit. Very pretty and works great. It seems like whenever I buy a set of 140HP carbs at least ONE link is missing and I can never find it for sale. See his catalog https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... K9jk3xdHlU
erco

Post by erco »

A picture is worth a thousand words. I wish this was my engine room, but I use this clean 140 photo for inspiration.
Attachments
vair140.jpg
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

The linkage seen in the photos above is a late 65-style that continued with only minor changes up through the end of 140 production in 69. You can identify which you have by looking at the long cross-over rod for clues. The one in the photo above has a hole on each side where the actuator rods to the two secondary carb bellcranks are attached. On the early 65 versions you will find a curved slot like in the photos below. Which do you have because you can't mix the parts if you have to go searching for more.
Attachments
carb.jpg
corvair cool stuff 056.jpg
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
tomk1960

Post by tomk1960 »

Thanks for the info, the pictures, and the Roger Parent info. The carbs that came with my 140 were in a box and disassembled, missing ALL of the linkages. They also came with the wrong crossover rod. Unless I come up with a nice set of used linkages, Roger's option looks like a good one.
"We are the people our parents warned us about."
erco

Post by erco »

See more info & pics at http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,716698

I have the curve-slotted version on mine, early '65 by azdave's description.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Curved and slotted is the preferred style for most 140 owners if they don't upgrade to a Roger Parent setup. They bind less often, have a positive engagement when the secondaries kick in and do not have the troublesome lockouts on the secondaries. Several of my 140's have the later style linkage and they aren't that bad. I choose to keep those engines as original as possible but I too prefer the curved and slotted.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
erco

Post by erco »

That's an impressive stable of 140s, Dave! Sounds like you're the guy to ask about my secondaries. My '67 has sat for 20 years and I'm getting her going again. Haven't touched the secondaries yet, can't remember much, except that the joker before me bored the venturis oversize (per "How to Hot Rod Corvair Engines" and he did a halfass job "streamlining" (grinding down) the venturi clusters. That dork holed thru in a few spots and patched with epoxy, so I replaced those with stock clusters.

According to other posts here, secondaries are different from primaries, they should not have accelerator pumps or power enrichment circuits. Can't remember if mine have power enrichment. In the past, I have put the accelerator pumps in. So...

1) If they have power enrichment, should I block it off? Epoxy in a BB?
2) Just leave out the accelerator pump and check valve?
3) Should I toss these bored-out units and get stock carbs?
4) Is there a preferred way to keep the secondaries CLOSED so the car idles properly? They are a PITA, I've been tempted to add a spring previously. At various times I have just blocked them off with an aluminum plate under the secondaries. Useful for making sure the primaries are dialed in and working properly, at the expense of full power.

Thanks in advance, all comments appreciated.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

erco wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:38 am That's an impressive stable of 140s, Dave! Sounds like you're the guy to ask about my secondaries. My '67 has sat for 20 years and I'm getting her going again. Haven't touched the secondaries yet, can't remember much, except that the joker before me bored the venturis oversize (per "How to Hot Rod Corvair Engines" and he did a halfass job "streamlining" (grinding down) the venturi clusters. That dork holed thru in a few spots and patched with epoxy, so I replaced those with stock clusters.

According to other posts here, secondaries are different from primaries, they should not have accelerator pumps or power enrichment circuits. Can't remember if mine have power enrichment. In the past, I have put the accelerator pumps in. So...

1) If they have power enrichment, should I block it off? Epoxy in a BB?
2) Just leave out the accelerator pump and check valve?
3) Should I toss these bored-out units and get stock carbs?
4) Is there a preferred way to keep the secondaries CLOSED so the car idles properly? They are a PITA, I've been tempted to add a spring previously. At various times I have just blocked them off with an aluminum plate under the secondaries. Useful for making sure the primaries are dialed in and working properly, at the expense of full power.

Thanks in advance, all comments appreciated.
Erco - aren't you in the SCC club in Torrance, CA? There are a few 140 experts in that club.
Bob Helt's Rochester book is a worth owning. He covers the secondaries and their history of changes.

Bob explains in his book that the total CFM on a 140HP stock engne is more than adequate. Just me but I'd get rid of the bored our bases.

The secondaries have NO power enrichment circuit, or should not have it. After decades you never know what's been changed.

The secondaries close via the accelerator pump return spring. No positive return to close linkage action like the primaries. Clark's sells a throttle shaft return spring. Sometimes it requires a little adjusting, but it works great on secondaries.

The early 65 linkage is preferred, but there was a reason it was changed. Some drivers would jab the throttle wide open and let it close quickly. This causes the secondary accelerator pumps to dump fuel in the venturi and if the throttle plate isn't kept open a few seconds then the fuel is trapped above the solid throttle plate and it turns to a sticky mess that caused the secondaries to stick open. GM's fix was tor remove the accelerator pump cups. Then folks were stalling the cars when going WOT when the engine was cold. So GM created the now infamous "choke on - secondaries locked out" so they only open when the engine is warmed up.
erco

Post by erco »

Thanks 66. Not active in the club yet, but I've met several guys, including Chuck Rust. I get parts from Mike of Mike's Corvair Parts. I'll join once I get this sled running and it's "safe to congregate" again, if that ever happens.

I've also considered making the secondaries solenoid or servo actuated. Needs to be foolproof though, that's mission critical stuff!
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Don't re-invent the wheel. Fix it stock or go with Roger's linkage.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

joelsplace wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:29 am Don't re-invent the wheel. Fix it stock or go with Roger's linkage.
Reinventing the wheel is what I love to do best. I'm an engineer!
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I get that. Pick a better project. Build a fuel injection system. Design a really good combustion chamber. Design some kind of air flow management system under the back of the car to extract the hot air. I could probably come up with others.
Design something to reduce wind noise. There is probably a way to glue some little bumps in strategic areas to help.
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

Wind noise? It's been 20 years since I drove mine, but IIRC the wind noise is nothing compared to the roar of that 140. :chevy:

My daily driver is a Nissan Leaf EV. A bit like the Corvair, unorthodox styling, designed for economy and quite a departure from the norm when it first came out. Those raised bug-eyed headlights are fins that guide airflow around the rearview mirrors to reduce wind noise. A great car for around town use.

My carbon footprint is so small with my Leaf that I won't feel guilty about getting my gross pollutin' '67 back on the road.
Attachments
Leaf.jpg
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I'll be sure to drive my V8 Malibu more often to make up for you guys starving the trees.
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”