Torque converter

All Models and Years
monzadon

Torque converter

Post by monzadon »

I am changing my torque converter in my 65 monza , should I replace the seal and bushing when I am doing this
terribleted

Re: Torque converter

Post by terribleted »

Yes certainly and if installing a used converter yes on the bushing also.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
monzadon

Post by monzadon »

Thanks for the information, I restored this 65 convertible from the ground up and presently rebuilding the motor, and having the powerglide being rebuilt, I have to replace the converter because the starter ring gear had some bad teeth, I purchased a used one and I hope it is ok
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If you know your old converter is good you can just buy the ring gear from Clark's. Much safer to just replace the gear since you don't know the history of the used converter.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Clark's Corvair Parts recommends AGAINST buying a separate ring gear to weld on yourself (see below)...

Rebuilt Torque Converters with NEW ring gear
FOAM PACKED

Professionally disassembled, cleaned, inspected & rebuilt including welding on a New Clark Ring Gear using special eqipment. The P.G. ring gear is much narrower, only .096" across the top flat. Check yours carefully as these really wear!No clips or nuts included. Save your old ones. Price includes a REFUNDABLE CORE. Condition of teeth unimportant! (Steel shell cannot be badly dented.) We strongly suggest you NOT buy the separate ring gear – this is a very specialized procedure.Don't forget seals and gaskets needed to change torque converter. See "Special Gasket Set", page 135ARebuilt Torque Converter C9216 25 lbs.P.G. Ring Gear Only C9217 2 lbs.High Stall Rebuilt Torque Converter 2400-2500 RPM vs. Stock 1600-1800 RPM. With new Ring Gear C9216HP 25 lbs. More High Stall Info – See page 135B

Image :link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=134
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I didn't say it was easy. They are also recommending you buy their rebuilt converter instead of buying just the gear. Whoever rebuilds the converters obviously replaces the gear. "Condition of teeth unimportant!"
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”