The Corvair Classic Camp Wagon - 1961 Corvair Lakewood Revival

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
wesleygarrard

The Corvair Classic Camp Wagon - 1961 Corvair Lakewood Revival

Post by wesleygarrard »

Hello all,

My wife and I were gifted this 1961 Corvair Lakewood from a family member. He bought it used in 1976 and used it as a daily driver over the next decade. It has been relegated to light service after a new 110hp engine from a 1969 was installed and eventually fell out of consistent use 10-15 years ago. Whitney's uncle owns 4 other Corvairs and was looking to free up some space to add another Italian car to keep his Fiat 500 Abarth company. I have been documenting the process of getting it back on the road in the links below. Our eventual plan is to make this our dedicated camping vehicle once all the bugs are ironed out.

https://drivetribe.com/p/a-1961-chevrol ... qjK9dqCm-A

https://drivetribe.com/p/refreshing-the ... vNziwVCR8g

https://drivetribe.com/p/rebuilding-the ... LDIoLElQHQ

https://drivetribe.com/p/new-rubber-for ... tzSg29u-fw

As soon as everything is sorted, a true camping test will be administered. Then, I plan to build a sturdy roof rack and possibly build or buy a roof top tent.

I will add those updates here as thing progress.

Enjoy!
wesleygarrard

Re: The Corvair Classic Camp Wagon - 1961 Corvair Lakewood Revival

Post by wesleygarrard »

I have another update form the Lakewood.

https://drivetribe.com/p/all-summer-lon ... oYROTMShag

Here in the next few weeks I am going to tackle the floor pans. They are pretty rotten on this car and the main reason why Whitney's uncle gave it to us. He felt the rust repair to the floor was too far beyond his ability to repair them. I have a bead roller, a welder, and a lot of patience. As such, I am going to take on the challenge. I will be sure to update after the floors have been replaced.
wesleygarrard

Post by wesleygarrard »

The first update on the floor replacement project!

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Your floor pan project seems to be beyond a term such as "restoration". There was nothing to restore! To a person who possesses no such skills, your effort would seem like a miracle! Something between a Genesis project and a restoration...

re·viv·al
/rəˈvīvəl/

noun
  • an improvement in the condition or strength of something.
  • a new production of an old play or similar work.
  • a restoration to bodily or mental vigor, to life or consciousness, or to sporting success.
  • a new presentation or publication of something old
Synonyms

reanimation, rebirth, regeneration, rejuvenation, rejuvenescence, renewal,
resurgence, resurrection, resuscitation, revitalization, revivification

Your floor pan effort was truly a rebirth for the old Corvair. For most people your station wagon would have been a parts donor. There appeared to be no hope for it. But, to me, your video revealed skills, talent, patience and determination that was beyond my imagination. The Lakewood was literally reborn and given a second life in this video! Now all things seem possible. Thank you for sharing and documenting your efforts so well in this video. I look forward to seeing this project moving forward toward an outstanding conclusion, or grand finale!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I posted this almost eight years ago. I really hate that I did not go after this car back in 2012. I hope you will find the photos to be inspiring and informative...
bbodie52 wrote: » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:26 am

:wave: ::-): :eek: :not worthy:

This has to be one of the cleanest Lakewood station wagons I've ever seen! White with a red interior and an undercarriage and engine compartment you could eat off of! I wish I could afford to buy it, but the timing is off for me. But for someone else on the Corvair Forum??? A Florida car. Check it out!!

1962 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Lakewood
1962 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Wagon
eBay Item Number: 130803578583
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-Che ... 008wt_1161

Current bid: $9000. No Reserve. Auction Ends Today!
(Nov 21, 201218:43:23 PST) HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

An original "Rip Van Winkle" station wagon. It was made by Chevrolet in March 1962 and was one of the last Corvair Monza wagons produced as the wagon line was shut down in mid year. Corvair wagons were only made in 61 and 62. Only 2362 Monza wagons were made in 62. This one is very clean and has a flat six engine (102 HP) with dual one barrel carbs and a powerglide automatic transmission. It has led a charmed 50 year life and only has 67,200 miles. I bought it in 2008 from someone who had purchased it in 2004. We both used the car as an everyday driver though I only put about 5000 miles on it in 4 years. The previous owner bought it in Michigan where it had been in storage in a basement since 1970. Prior to that it was in Denver and still proudly sports a Colorado inspection sticker from 1969.

When the car was brought out of storage the new owner rebuilt the carbs, put new brakes on including new wheel cylinders, new shocks, new rear axle seals , repacked the wheel bearings,and new u-joints. After I purchased the wagon I put new tires on it including the spare, new carpet, new front seat covers,a new gas tank and gas line in the tunnel, and completely rebuilt the front suspension. I detailed the trunk and engine/engine compartment and primed the underside of the car with PPG epoxy. I also added a surf board for the roof rack and the surf board will be included. The car starts and drives like a new car and is very dependable. It is very pleasurable to drive and gets compliments wherever I take it.

However the car is 50 years old and has a few imperfections.There are slight variation in the exterior white paint as parts of it have been repainted though I seen no evidence of major body work. There is a crack in the padded dash. The top and hood have small paint flaws.

Receipts for most of the work and parts used in the last 8 years will be included. The car will come an original owners manual, the factory repair manuals and several other pieces of Corvair literature. I also will include my stash of spare parts including a engine core.

The best way to decide if this wagon is for you is to come see it before the listing ends. I have bought and sold several antique cars on Ebay and know the problems associated with trying to decide about a car without seeing it in person. So I offer the following to make it easier for you. If you purchase it, I will require a $500 deposit via Paypal within 2 days. Then when you come to pick it up, if you don't like it or don't want it for any reason, I will refund most of your deposit though I will keep enough to pay the Ebay fees ( about $150 ) associated with this listing. This will only work if you come to pick it up in person. And I would not hesitate to drive this wagon to any place in the USA.
Approaches Dealer Showroom New Clean! A few minor flaws. 35 Great Photos shows everything and leaves little to the imagination! If I had the cash I'd be all over this Lakewood!
Here are a dozen select :coolphotos:

Brad Bodie
wesleygarrard

Post by wesleygarrard »

Man! Thank you so much for those kind words. Like you said, most would have considered this a parts car at best. It was the main motivation for Whitney's uncle to give us his first Corvair. He was worried that if he sold it, all it would become was a donor. He has seen some of the other cars I built and was very confident that I could make his first Corvair love whole once more. I know a lot of Corvair guys would have passed on something like this, so it makes me feel good giving this car a second life.

But I do not want to toot my own horn as to skills and talent. This is the first time I have ever made my own panels on this scale. Really anyone could achieve the same results with research, trial and error, patience, and most of all confidence. I have met so many people that have said, "I am afraid I might screw it all up." So what! That is how we learn and grow, by screwing things up and learning from the mistakes we make. Let it be known that I have made a lot of mistakes that do not make it into the video. Like accidentally running a self tapping screw through the wiring harness! It did not turn out well and I lost a whole day to repair the wires.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The lessons learned and documented in your video(s) and your determined attitude teaches much about what is needed to perform such a car project. Many people start... only to give up and lose motivation along the way. Such project cars end up languishing in a dark place or in a barn or empty field for decades... or they are sold into a parts bin. Your positive attitude seems to keep you moving past temporary setbacks or the need to learn or develop new skills. That is hard to do, but you have demonstrated that many things are, in fact, possible. Money and available time are certainly factors, but the emotional and psychological side are critical in overcoming mental depression associated with setbacks. Your project video comments may go a long way toward helping others in assessing potential projects as well as in moving forward in a continuing effort to successfully complete a project car.

I hope you will continue documenting your progress, and perhaps with answering questions or providing "lessons learned" in your Corvair project.

:tu: ::-): :thumbsupwink: :wrench: :thumbup:
Brad Bodie
wesleygarrard

Post by wesleygarrard »

Thanks again! I will be posting part 2 of the floor rehab very soon. If this part did not seem complicated, the next certainly will.
wesleygarrard

Post by wesleygarrard »

The wagon floors are all finished up!

https://drivetribe.com/p/my-corvair-rea ... 9SfewuJcLw

The wife and I are excited to take it camping. Until then, we are using it for our favorite social distancing activity, canoeing.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :coolphotos:

Brainstorming
Brainstorming is a group creativity technique by which efforts are made to find a conclusion for a specific problem
by gathering a list of ideas spontaneously contributed by its members.
:ty:
Brad Bodie

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”