Odd Master Cylinder Top

All Models and Years
erco

Odd Master Cylinder Top

Post by erco »

I just got a rebuilt dual master cylinder from Pep Boys for my '67. Amazing price @ $18 but it has an unusual bolt-on top. I've never seen anything but the wire retainer type, which is what I currently have, which is what's shown on the PepBoys website at https://www.pepboys.com/prostop-remanuf ... r%20cooled Apparently I got their last one, even the website shows out of stock.

It fits, and should work, just looks weird to me. This I'm not building a concours car, just curious if anyone has seen this type on a stock Corvair. Amazon also lists this type at https://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-13 ... B000C034LA

joelsplace

Re: Odd Master Cylinder Top

Post by joelsplace »

Sell it to someone with a Rampside. It is easier to use the bolt on one on them.
I'll swap you a new bail type I have. I think mine is new not rebuilt.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

Pep Boys is trying to swap it for me. Fortunately I'm in no rush, it will be a month or two before I can drive her.

Related question: Car has been in storage for 19 years. I had previously replaced master cylinder and put in GE silicone brake fluid & flushed through ~2000. No brakes at all now, pedal goes to floor. I read somewhere that some early silicone brake fluids actually dissolved brake cylinder seals.

??? This is a dual MC, so both sides have failed.

So now I'm replacing the MC, rebuilding all 4 wheel cylinders, and replacing 4 brake hoses. Plan to use Prestone synthetic DOT 3 unless someone here stops me. I got a gallon to really flush out that old silicone.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've just recently started using silicone fluid because of failures due to the normal fluid and because early Corvairs are exposed to air which is really bad with DOT 3,4 and 5.1.
You should check out your system and see what failed. I've never heard of silicone fluid having any down sides except price and bleeding difficulties.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”