Stripping a Rampside

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
crukab

Stripping a Rampside

Post by crukab »

Hi, I'm a long time VW Bus guy, I have owned several Singlecab & Doublecab trucks, I keep my "Bus hunting Radar " on 24/7.
So I found a old Rusted Rampside in N.H., real rough, Bumpers are clean shiney chrome, ramp gate & tailgate fair shape, has the bench seat, the cab looks compltete, the bed is gone/rotted thru. A dead engine sits on the ground, under where the bed was.
I can get it for Free, I'd rather strip it in place, as getting it out where it is would be a pain, but it could be done. I would not mind bringing it home, it would look great w/ all the other VW trucks/Buses here, and I have pleaty of space.
Just wondering if it is worth the trouble & work to strip it and/or trailer it home, are the parts worth much ?? I know pictures would help, I'll see if I can get some & post them. I know if it was a VW truck what I'd do, just not sure about this Corvair.
Thanks !
Tom in Vt.
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Stripping a Rampside

Post by Scott H »

Yes it’s worth it. Rampsides are gaining value faster than any other Corvair model.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Scott H wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:17 pm Yes it’s worth it. Rampsides are gaining value faster than any other Corvair model.

Maybe? If it is in really bad shape with lots of rust and not salvageable to restore then there is not a lot of value in the parts. There is some. It is impossible to put a number on what the parts might be worth without seeing the condition of the parts. No parts are of particularly high value. engine and trans axle as core maybe $300, bumpers if good 50 each, seat maybe 50-100, instrument cluster maybe 50, rear axles with good bearings 75-100? You have to consider the effort to strip and haul pieces as to whether such an endeavor is worthwhile. Many times the answer is no.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
crukab

Post by crukab »

Thanks for the straight info TTed.
I guess I'll try & dig it out, cut down the pricker bushes, fill in the Fox ? Woodchuck ? hole next to it, need to slide/dig that engine out from under it, put air in the tires etc. I usually bring good rims/tires when doing a Bus rescue, but I'm in a whole new ball park here. I'll take pics for sure. I'd be proud to have this old beast in my back field, and if I can get a few parts to the folks that need them, all the better.

that was my last Bus rescue. ^^^^^
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

The boomerang and the tailgate and ramp latches are worth money.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

terribleted wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:43 pm
Scott H wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:17 pm Yes it’s worth it. Rampsides are gaining value faster than any other Corvair model.

Maybe? If it is in really bad shape with lots of rust and not salvageable to restore then there is not a lot of value in the parts. There is some. It is impossible to put a number on what the parts might be worth without seeing the condition of the parts. No parts are of particularly high value. engine and trans axle as core maybe $300, bumpers if good 50 each, seat maybe 50-100, instrument cluster maybe 50, rear axles with good bearings 75-100? You have to consider the effort to strip and haul pieces as to whether such an endeavor is worthwhile. Many times the answer is no.
I misunderstood...I pictured saving the Rampside. Not just stripping the parts off.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
62Greenbrierguy

Post by 62Greenbrierguy »

Welcome, i was wondering if you had any updates as i'd be interested in the front windshield if its good! Thanks.
crukab

Post by crukab »

I'm pretty sure the windsheild is cracked...
I'm looking to haul it out in the later Fall, it will take a few hours prep to get it out, thinking of trying to get the tires off, they are hanging off the rims, my neighbor runs a shop, he will put the tires back on the rims, or put some of my spares on, for $10/ wheel. I have Bud that is up for the "adventure", we have pulled home many buses together. I now have my tow rig & trailer ready to rock.
Pics when it happens.

Some of my line up.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If it has bias ply tires I've had good luck with bead sealer I buy at O'Reilly Auto.
Northlake, TX
crukab

Post by crukab »

A couple pics of that truck.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Any good trim has some value. The bumpers if nice have some value. Unbroken or crazed windshields have some value. The boomerang arm in the steering has some value. Tailgate and ramp door and parts if not destroyed with rust are unique and have some value. The engine itself IF it is a truck/van engine has some value as the dipstick coming out the back is unique to vans/trucks and wagons. But to put things in perspective. Beautiful used bumpers maybe 100 each, nice front grill and headlamp bezels likely 20-50 each part. Engine not running core truck engine maybe 250-300. So not big numbers but some value.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
crukab

Post by crukab »

I have more pics, just no way to post them. The cab is very complete, doors look ok, tailgate & rampside are a bit rough on the bottoms. The rear quarter panels are rough, rusty & slammed,
I'll need to do a bunch of trimming/clearing & Jacking it up out of the holes it has sunk in.... Front Lisc. plate says 1967.
I might just cut the cab off, put it up on saw horses & call it yard Art :woo:
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I could use the latches for the tailgate and ramp. :)
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
crukab

Post by crukab »

Ok, what the heck is the "Boomerang" ??
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

L shaped pivot in the steering linkage that the drag link from the steering box attaches to.
Northlake, TX
crukab

Post by crukab »

So it looks like I'm going to pass on the Rampside truck, it is way rotted out, all 4 sides present issues trying to haul it out, can't get to the front, back or sides w/ a tow rig. The front end is buried below ground, most of the wheels are 3/4 buried or more , the bumpers look great, the ramp & tailgate latches are frozen, as is the Pass. cab door, windshield is cracked, Bed is gonzo rotted away, plates say 1967 as last time it was on the road...
I'd be happy to give anyone the info on where it is, and meet w/them to do a introduction to the owner, it will be a ton of work just to get the parts off it, and I'm not doing that. This past Fall/Winter I have had some major Health issues including a Heart attack, next month I'm having an Ablation procedure done, so I'm backing off on stuff like this. I was there Saturday, the Winter snow pushed the pricker bushes back so I could get close to it on all sides, and it is Fuggley ... Only real good stuff in my untrained eyes would be the Bumpers, and anything inside the cab. I do have pics for anyone interested.
You can Email me : crukab@peoplepc.com

Return to “Introductions”