The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
hrm2k

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Post by hrm2k »

I ended up buying a new set of aluminum heads...…...bigger runner, smaller chambers. I was hoping it would be something worth doing a video over but it was really boring...…………….now it's just a couple of minutes

more news as it becomes available

48,000+ views...…………………………………………..DAMN !!!!!
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

As with several other parts of this build, I have bitten off more than I could chew. I was simply unable to get the 4 carbs running the same no matter what I did. It's not like I didn't put any time in on it, I have tons of hours in the setup but it was just beyond my capabilities. Since this is more of a driver than go fast around corners type car. I decided to use the New Holley Sniper Fuel Injection unit.

We eliminated all the old fuel lines, pumps and filters so we could start over. We used steel 3/8's inch tubing for the feed and return lines. I choose to run them outside the tunnel the full length of the bottom of the car

This picture shows the bends at the end before we turned them up and fastened them with cushion clamps

We mounted the new prefilter and fuel pump where the last pump had been

I don't think it looks any where near as cool as the 4 deuces but here it is. I have tried to cover and hide a lot of the plugs and interfaces...…..here is how it looks

more info as it becomes available

Almost 63,000 views...……...humbling experience
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Film at 11

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Sweet!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

This thing has gone on longer than I would like to admit. Got a couple of gremlins fixed. I'm still amazed at how well the EFI works....the throttle response is amazing. Now I get to do the stuff that I really enjoy, put it back together and put some miles on it.
ONe last detail was an overflow puke tank. I decided to use the reservoir tank form the first time build.

I found a really cool looking finned air cleaner. It was exactly what was needed. It was fun cleaning up the front of the engine.

Thanks for letting me hang out and post the work I did
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

kind of a big day for me. The car is ready to do some miles. The new fuel injection is great. The temp never goes over 175...….it is a lot louder now but it is a small price to pay for such fun. Here is the car READY !!!!

doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Nice [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

As with most people, I have been in lock down for the last 4 weeks. I have tried to be a good guy but that is just not in the cards. I broke the law. I'm admitting it. I went to the garage and worked on my car. I can't drive the damn thing so I might as well work on it. I have been working on making the interior look good since I have new gauges and stuff. I did not make everything black by intention but it turned out that way. Everything is black …… except the seats, console and kick panels. Everything is good shape so I decided to try recoloring the gray pieces. I did my home work and ended up using a place called AUTOLEATHERDYE company ( www.autoleatherdye.com ) . The dye is water based. Very easy to use and cleans up with water. Here is what a started with:

After 4 coats of dye ( GM Black ), here is what they look like now

I also did the console and kick panels

This is a great product to recolor leather and vinyl . I give them 2 thumbs up

can't wait to put some miles on this thing
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

The interior went back together so we can drive as soon as we are allowed. The dye is amazing. I recommend it for any automotive interior dye jobs. Here is was this morning around noon time

we still have paint to do but that may be later in the year.

Thanks for all the views and the nice comments during this build It was a lot of fun documenting it
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Some of you guys have followed this build and have seen all the mistakes and accomplishments over the last 6 years or so. Over on another social media site, I posted a picture of my V8 Corvair as it sits now. I have cleaned up all the problems and it is ready to go. Some of you might remember me painting the car with zinc chromate rattle cans just so it was not yellow with patches. THis is how it turned out

Another V8 Corvair guy posted a picture of a hot wheels car from 2002 called the Vairy 8...…...I did not know that hot wheels did a Vair and I really could not believe what I saw

Since they were so close in looks, I thought I would let you guys see it. I'm blown away !!!

closing in on 70,000 views................unbelieveable
OttawaCorvairGuy

Post by OttawaCorvairGuy »

hrm2k,

Cool project. I tried to PM you. But I found out after writing a detailed message and trying to send it, that you don't except PMs ... Grin
I would really like to talk with you about the oil pan and axle mods that have to be done.
I have an Ultravan with an OLDS 455 that I have wanted to do what you have done.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Tony
Tony
1963 Rampside - SOLD
1962 Convertible
1961 Van
1961 SW body only
11 Parts Cars
As of July 21, 2013 we are blessed to have UV248, 256, 362, 512, 231 & 520
UV231 will be for sale once the Subaru conversion & all the mechanicals are finished
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Check your PM's Tony...………………...email address and phone number included
OttawaCorvairGuy

Post by OttawaCorvairGuy »

FYI - I have not received your PM yet and I tried again to send you one, but it says you have them turned off still.
Tony
1963 Rampside - SOLD
1962 Convertible
1961 Van
1961 SW body only
11 Parts Cars
As of July 21, 2013 we are blessed to have UV248, 256, 362, 512, 231 & 520
UV231 will be for sale once the Subaru conversion & all the mechanicals are finished
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

fixed the blocked PM's
Actually got a message sent to you
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :coolphotos:
:not worthy: :tu: :clap: ::-):

Important to keep the windows rolled down to make room for the wide grin that must be associated with such a ride!
:tongue:
:ty:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”