New to forums

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
troy.w

New to forums

Post by troy.w »

HI All,

I am new to Corvairs. My son and I have just purchased a '64 Monza Spyder to restore and modify together. I'm looking forward to working on this project and learning from everyone.
joelsplace

Re: New to forums

Post by joelsplace »

Welcome!
You got the best year for the early models. (EM)
Spyders are very picky about fuel pressure. Make sure it is 2 to 2.5psi. New pumps are usually 5-7psi.
The service manuals are available to download. It's a good idea to read through them.
Seth sells Bob Helt's book on the carburetor. It is a must have.
If you have the top shroud off be sure to de-flash the heads.
Don't run GL5 gear lube. It will ruin the blocker rings in the transmission. Do check the gear lube before you drive it. The differential and transmission share lube.
Maxxis is pretty much the only brand for stock size tires. 185/80R13
175/80R13s are available in several brands but will make the speedometer off and run more RPMs on the highway.
Just a few Corvair specific things to know.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:clap: :wave: :welcome2: Congratulations on acquiring your 1964 Corvair Spyder, and welcome to the Corvair Forum!

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair. Your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you, your Corvair, and you plans for your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing where you live also helps, as your location may suggest some possibilities or solutions. Detailed photographs of your Corvair, including interior, trunk, and engine compartment would be great!

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
troy.w

Post by troy.w »

I thank you for the Spyder specific information. I will definitely keep that tucked away and look over that as I go along.

My experience with working on cars is limited to standard maintenance type things-brakes, exhaust, interior, etc. I do have some technical training, as I was electronics technician in the Navy, and worked on radars. I would say that what I lack in experience I make up for in perseverance.

I don't know a whole lot more about the Corvair than the car's history. It intrigued me when I heard the Ralph Nader connection because I am a lawyer by trade, and the history of legislation interests me. I'm familiar with the Yengko models to a degree. I'm really just fascinated by this little car.

My son is a gear head, and loves to tinker and modify motorcycles and cars. So this project will be somewhat of an intersection of our interests.

I'm interested in a mostly accurate restoration of the body and interior. I might do a black exterior/white leather interior, or a red exterior/ white interior. I'm also interested in modifying the suspension somewhat, and bringing the horsepower and torque up quite a bit-maybe in the range of Stage III Yengko Stinger specs. I'm thinking about how to do that using the technology available today. Most important to me is to do a good job restoring the car and improving on the car where possible without changing the aesthetics too much.

I will have pictures of the car up tomorrow for you. The car is from New Mexico, and I live in Albuquerque. The car has most of it's original parts, but is in dire need of work.
Bruins_Fan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Bruins_Fan »

Welcome to CF!
'66 Monza Convertible 110hp Powerglide
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

:welcome:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

EFI with ignition control makes a huge difference on the Spyder.
Better starting, power, driveability, engine temperatures.
Northlake, TX
troy.w

Post by troy.w »

joelsplace:

What kind of EFI system have you seen work well with the Spyder?
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

All the ones I've seen were home brewed. I think Ted Brown is working on a turn key system. He has systems for everything but the turbo already.
Northlake, TX
troy.w

Post by troy.w »

Here are those photos as promised.

First order of business is deciding what to do in place of the missing turbo/carb/intake? I am thinking about these options:

1) the best way to make use of an original turbo with a better carb
2) Weber carb with a modern turbocharger
3) EFI system
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg
troy.w

Post by troy.w »

rear view
Attachments
thumbnail (5).jpg
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I forgot to mention for someone unfamiliar with the Corvair - do NOT run the same pressure in all 4 tires. On a '64 start with about 8 psi lower in the front.
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires

:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html
Brad Bodie
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

I love the early models and as mentioned before the 64 spyder is king. Based on what you stated I would look at some type of programmable ignition, hybrid turbo, progressive Weber or Mikuni HSR modded for automotive use with turbo and a water/meth. Injection setup. These mods will transform the spyder into a very quick ride and provide a semi stock look under the bonnet. You will also need a wastegate with this setup.
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: One issue not discussed here (yet) is your financial budget for this project. :dontknow: :doh: Good used and complete factory turbocharger systems can be very rare and somewhat pricey. A developmental system like the one mentioned above can be VERY expensive and experimental/high maintenance and likely not much of a "daily driver". Success with such a system may be beyond the reach of a first-time Corvair owner (and even many experienced Corvair owners).

:idea: Alternatively, a well-tuned 110 hp or 140 hp factory layout, primarily a GM factory stock configuration — possibly supplemented with some modern technology updates like an alternator-based charging system upgrade (standard on 1965-1969 Corvairs) — possibly using a newer-design GM alternator with internal solid-state integrated voltage regulator — and a modern Stinger breakerless distributor to eliminate high-maintenance ignition points and condenser can produce a good-performing street-oriented Corvair that can often tolerate REGULAR gasoline. (Turbos DEMAND expensive PREMIUM fuel and usually get fuel mileage that is much lower than the normally-aspirated 110 hp or 140 hp Corvair). Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), as outlined and described earlier, is well-developed using many standard GM components. Although a somewhat pricey jump, it can help the Corvair make the leap from the mid-20th century to late 20th/21st century performance, low maintenance, and high reliability. ::-):

What do you REALLY want in your first restoration project Corvair? :dontknow:

============================================================================================

:drool: :pray: :eek: This 1964 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Spyder Convertible Turbo SOLD FOR $34,250 ON 4/30/19. It was built by a Corvair Forum owner and documented here on the Corvair Forum. It took a LOT of experience, research, money, and hard work!

ncgriff1 wrote:8/12/19 at 12:37 AM

Just an update on the Corvair if you are curious:

I just passed 750 miles on the trip odometer that I reset when the car arrived 3 months ago. The car is a dream as a daily driver and a weekend explorer. Seems to grow smoother and more powerful every trip. It might be the denser air here at sea level (vs @ 5500 ft), but the car has way more kick than I expected once I learned the clutch. Every bit as fast as my SUV from a standstill, and passing acceleration is remarkable when the turbo kicks in. Head temp hovers at 325 F, even cruising at 70 mph in 95 degree ambient temps, thanks to the deflashed cylinders and ceramic-coated exhaust. Not a drop of oil on my garage floor, except from my wife’s 2010 Murano.

Nick got it exactly right, inside and out. It is as much a joy to drive as it is to look at and listen to. It took Best-in-Show and Best GM at the first and only show it has been to so far. Two more shows this fall. Making lots of friends and turning down offers for purchase.

I only report this to encourage anyone restoring or considering the purchase of a Corvair, and I’ve owned an XKE, Porsche 912 (full restoration), and a C5 Z06. I can testify that a well done manual Corvair is a blast to own, and a cinch to maintain. I replaced a burned out headlight yesterday in only 5 minutes for $27 (T3 replica). It’s like working on my lawnmower.

This car was an outlier, but a relatively affordable outlier. Priced a restored 356 lately? Corvair or not, if you are bidding on what is becoming an outlier, think about the time and money you’d have to put into another car at 1/3 or half the price to get it where you want it. Do your homework, but consider the fun of just studying it, driving it, and sharing it with others. It might be worth it!

Image :link: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964- ... nvertible/

Nickshu's 1964 Spyder Restoration [Corvair Forum] Thread...
:link: viewtopic.php?t=7428
Brad Bodie
troy.w

Post by troy.w »

That aqua color was the original color of my Spyder. I appreciate all the information. I haven't sat down to budget this project, but I expect to spend between 15-20k on it.

I think I am liking the idea of EFI on this car. I've seen some systems for around 3k. I would also like to upgrade the top end of the motor.

There's some rust here and there, but it could be worse. The floor pans need replacing. Everything on the car beds some love. I think the end result will be worth the time and investment. The project will be my son's car after we're done fixing it up.

Return to “Introductions”