New To Forum With 40 Years Of Corvairs

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
lanning14

New To Forum With 40 Years Of Corvairs

Post by lanning14 »

Fellow Members,

The Corona Virus scare has us all on edge and now with more spare time. I'm normally busy with other duties, but decided that today was a good time to check out this Corvair Forum. As the current president of the V-8 Registry, CORSA Chapter 006, I'm usually very busy emailing or phoning our members regarding our favorite topic. Our group also has a Forum and maybe some of you would enjoy viewing some of our postings.

I bought my first Corvair almost 40 years ago as I was experiencing my first 'mid-life' crisis. Corvairs are a lot cheaper than a girlfriend or a divorce. Like most Corvair owners, it's impossible to own just one for very long. Currently I have two. My wife's favorite is our stock 66 Corsa convertible with factory A/C. For me, it's the 65 Corsa coupe with a transverse-mounted 4.5L Caddy engine/drivetrain. This one came into my life during my third 'mid-life' crisis. Again no girlfriends or divorce. Just an inexpensive Corvair Conversion to help me go fast and feel younger at 76. That's my story.

The V-8 Registry is always on the look out for unusual Corvair Conversions. Some years ago I noticed a posting on this Forum from a guy named Rick Calcitrant in Jacksonville, OR. He was building a very interesting conversion. Does anyone know how to contact him? I'd like to see how his build is coming along. He referred to it as his 'career project' back in 2012.

If anyone has an interest in Corvair Conversions, send me a note. I'm here to help you with your project or to find one.

Remain healthy and stay safe.

John Lanning, Crestwood, KY
tomk1960

Re: New To Forum With 40 Years Of Corvairs

Post by tomk1960 »

Welcome to the group, John.

Speaking of unusual Corvair conversions, several years ago I met a guy at the Corvair International Convention that was held in Sturbridge, MA. He had transplanted a late model Camaro engine and drivetrain into his LM Corvair, putting the engine up front. He also transplanted the entire interior from the Camaro, including the dashboard. The job was so meticulously well done that it looked factory. I asked him if he was a machinist. "No." "Are you a mechanic?" "No." "Are you an engineer?" "No." To that I said, "You, sir, ARE a machinist, a mechanic, and an engineer, and a damn good at being all three. No diplomas or certificates necessary."

Moral of the story is that there are some extremely talented and clever guys out there doing amazing things with these cars.
"We are the people our parents warned us about."
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :wave: Welcome, John, to the Corvair Forum!

I had not read the project material by Rick Calcitrant, but thanks to your post I am looking through his fascinating post now!

I hope you will post some pictures of your current Corvairs. A Corsa with factory Air Conditioning is pretty rare. You might enjoy this material on Corvair air conditioning, if you have not already seen it...

:link: https://www.corvair.org/chapters/airvairs/

Username: Rick Calcitrant

:link: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1875

Last active: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Click on the link above to see his Corvair Forum Profile. From there you can try sending him an email or PM (Private Message)

Career Project...
Post by Rick Calcitrant » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:34 am

:link: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3863
Rick Calcitrant wrote:Rick Calcitrant » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:34 pm

I recently contacted the new owner of "career project" to learn its current status. He was kind enough to forward some pics and his permission to post them on the forum as there were several forum members that expressed an interest in the car's development.
I'm very impressed with the way the car has turned out and applaud the new owner's taste and execution. In the coming months I hope to learn more about the details of the car and if anyone's interested, again with his permission, I'll post what I learn. This car has meant more to me than any other project vehicle I've taken on over the years and to see it appreciated, so superbly finished, and cared for, does my heart good.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
NADER'S NEMESIS

Post by NADER'S NEMESIS »

:welcomeparty:
lanning14 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:14 pm Fellow Members,

The Corona Virus scare has us all on edge and now with more spare time. I'm normally busy with other duties, but decided that today was a good time to check out this Corvair Forum. As the current president of the V-8 Registry, CORSA Chapter 006, I'm usually very busy emailing or phoning our members regarding our favorite topic. Our group also has a Forum and maybe some of you would enjoy viewing some of our postings.

I bought my first Corvair almost 40 years ago as I was experiencing my first 'mid-life' crisis. Corvairs are a lot cheaper than a girlfriend or a divorce. Like most Corvair owners, it's impossible to own just one for very long. Currently I have two. My wife's favorite is our stock 66 Corsa convertible with factory A/C. For me, it's the 65 Corsa coupe with a transverse-mounted 4.5L Caddy engine/drivetrain. This one came into my life during my third 'mid-life' crisis. Again no girlfriends or divorce. Just an inexpensive Corvair Conversion to help me go fast and feel younger at 76. That's my story.

The V-8 Registry is always on the look out for unusual Corvair Conversions. Some years ago I noticed a posting on this Forum from a guy named Rick Calcitrant in Jacksonville, OR. He was building a very interesting conversion. Does anyone know how to contact him? I'd like to see how his build is coming along. He referred to it as his 'career project' back in 2012.

If anyone has an interest in Corvair Conversions, send me a note. I'm here to help you with your project or to find one.

Remain healthy and stay safe.

John Lanning, Crestwood, KY
Welcome to this Group John, nice to see your contribution .

regards Doug Andress.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 724 times
65 Monza Hybrid Build ,
3.8 Turbo Buick V6 , MS3 Pro.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”