admin won't accept my post

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
MichaelB

admin won't accept my post

Post by MichaelB »

trying to post an item for sale, each time a get a message: "Forbidden, try posting without VPN" or something to that effect. I don't know how to fix it.
MichaelB

Re: admin won't accept my post

Post by MichaelB »

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have edited and re-edited the information until there is hardly any description left. I have tried posting using different computers, even switching from a Windows machine to a Mac, over several hours, over the past two days. Nothing works. Could it be something wrong with the pictures? Yet somehow this "Introduction" post seems to go thru OK. I can't find a link to communicate with an administrator. I'm feeling very frustrated and could sure use some guidance here to post my 'For Sale" item.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Photo being posted must be a JPG. Beyond that any issue is beyond my paygrade. Just posted this photo to be sure it is not a server issue with all photos
done 5.jpg
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Are you talking about a post on eBay or a similar marketing website? If you are including personal contact information, such as an email address or a phone number, in the listing, that type of information might be used to permit completing a sale outside of the eBay system. eBay's security and customer protection system requires the listing, and the completion of a sale process, to be handled within their website. They are also paid with a percentage of the listing and sale money, and if you were to bypass them and compete the sale outside of the marketing website, their protective security procedures and their payment for offering the marketing service could also be bypassed.

I don't believe you are permitted to include personal contact information, such as a phone number or email address, within your descriptive sale narrative. If you have included and email address or a phone number, deleting them from your text should allow it to be posted.
Why Do Some Websites Block VPNs?

One of the only ways to protect your right to privacy and information online is to use a VPN. Some websites infringe on those rights by blocking VPNs, but they do it for a good reason.

The big names that are notorious for blacklisting VPNs are Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and the BBC. It’s hard to figure out exactly how many websites block VPN access, but the number could be in the thousands. Most of these sites aren’t actively at war with VPNs, but they manage to blacklist a lot of VPN IP addresses over time passively.

Remind Me, What’s a VPN?

Before going into this, you’ll want to know what IP addresses are and how VPNs work. We’ll keep this brief. When you connect to the internet through a router, you’re given an IP address. This address, essentially, identifies your computer or router so that websites know where you’re connecting from and can send traffic back to you. The IP address that you’re assigned at home is different from the IP address that you’re assigned at a coffee shop.

When you use a VPN (virtual private network), you’re effectively tunneling all of your online activity through a remote server. Your service provider can’t see what you’re doing online, because the traffic is encrypted and funneled through a remote server. Websites can’t see your actual IP address; they can only see the IP address of the server that’s masking your activity. So if your VPN funnels your activity through a server that’s in a different state or country, websites think that you’re connecting from said state or country...

...Websites Want To Minimize Spam And Fraud

The most legitimate reason why a website would block VPN access is to mitigate unlawful or annoying behavior. The problem with this technique is that it punishes more innocent people than it does criminals.

Paypal has received a lot of flack for blacklisting VPNs, but to be fair, they do it for a good reason. IP addresses are a form of identity, and criminals that use a VPN to mask their IP address tend to be difficult to track down. Not to mention, Paypal is a bank, and the company has to respect regional tax codes and money laws.

Some websites, like IRS.gov or Craigslist, don’t always work when you’re using a VPN service. These websites aren’t running blacklists that specifically target VPN IP addresses, though; they’re usually running and contributing to public blacklists that flag IP addresses associated with spam and suspicious activity.

But how do these IP addresses end up on these public blacklists? Well, let’s pretend that you’re doing account security work at IRS.gov, and you notice something strange. A hundred different people have logged in from the same IP address. While this could be a sign that people are using a VPN service at tax time, it could also be a sign that some wild hacker has managed to compromise a hundred different accounts. Blacklisting that IP address is probably a good idea, even if it may infringe on peoples’ right to privacy...
:link: https://www.howtogeek.com/403771/why-do ... lock-vpns/
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
tomk1960

Post by tomk1960 »

Since he didn't mention eBay, CL, or any other sites, I think he's having his issue trying to post something for sale here...
"We are the people our parents warned us about."
barrist

Post by barrist »

I can't even find a "Parts for Sale" section anymore............... :assault:
Have a Great Day,

Bill
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the New One https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3 ... storm.html
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

barrist wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:13 pm I can't even find a "Parts for Sale" section anymore............... :assault:
Hmmm shows up for me. Click Home tab and the scroll down to classifieds...viewforum.php?f=18
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
barrist

Post by barrist »

Thanks, I was on the index page, not Home................
Have a Great Day,

Bill
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the New One https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3 ... storm.html
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Ted & Brad - many thanks for the insightful info. I'll try integrating all those factoids into my next post attempt.

BTW Brad, your 66 Corsa is a beaut! it's EXACTLY like my first 'Vair, except mine was a 65. Sure wish I had that one in my garage again!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:ty:

I owned a 1965 Corsa convertible for many years. This one was in my family since it was new...

Photo of my father and me in 1965 at Edwards AFB Air Show in Southern California. The Corvair was originally Mist Blue.

Pregnant wife Tracy standing next to our 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible (now Dark Green), parked in front of our apartment near Robins AFB, Georgia (Fall, 1973) — in Warner Robins, Georgia.

1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible 140hp 4x1 - Spring 1980 - Base Housing, just after it was repainted Red and a new convertible top was installed. Taken in the parking lot behind base housing at Hanscom Air Force Base. Massachusetts.

Our 1965 Corvair Corsa coupe, 140hp 4x1 - Summer 1981, in my father's driveway at 124 Whitworth Street, just prior to a trip to Lake Tahoe and on to New Jersey, to ship the car to our assignment location near Ramstein AB, Kaiserslautern, Germany — at Thousand Oaks, California.

Our current 1966 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa convertible with 4-speed manual transmission and 140HP 164 Cubic Inch engine (4x1 bbl Carburetors) — Photos taken at Lake Bonny Park, FL, near Lakeland. Over the years we had owned nine Corvairs, and sold the last one in Pennsylvania in the early 1990s. Following our April 2012 40th anniversary, I decided that I wanted to recapture some of our memories by becoming a Corvair owner again. When I discovered this blue Corvair on eBay I decided that now was the time! I love the color and the color scheme is very similar to the 1965 Corsa convertible my parents purchased so long ago. So we sold our 2008 Lexus GS 460 – exchanging that ownership for this 1966 Corvair Corsa convertible. Believe me, there is quite a bit of difference between the 2008 Lexus and a 1966 Corvair! But my wife and I are truly enjoying it, and it is a unique piece of transportation history that is once again a part of our family.

:LMs rule: :Love it:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
rustbelt

Post by rustbelt »

I'm having the same issue as the original poster about being 'Forbidden. Try posting without VPN'.
I'm not attempting to post in the for sale section, just posting a question on the ask a mechanic section.
As far as I'm aware, my laptop is not associated with any VPN.
Any thoughts as to why I'm having this issue?
1962 Monza 900
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

rustbelt wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:20 pm I'm having the same issue as the original poster about being 'Forbidden. Try posting without VPN'.
I'm not attempting to post in the for sale section, just posting a question on the ask a mechanic section.
As far as I'm aware, my laptop is not associated with any VPN.
Any thoughts as to why I'm having this issue?
I saw your post got blocked by the anti-spam service. Sometimes it can be overbearing. I have marked it as not spam. Hopefully it fixes the issue for you.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
rustbelt

Post by rustbelt »

Thank you Scott. I'll give it another try and respond here if it doesn't work.
1962 Monza 900
rustbelt

Post by rustbelt »

Scott, sent you a PM.
1962 Monza 900
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

rustbelt wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:54 pm Scott, sent you a PM.
Messaged you back and emailed you. Basically the same message on both. The Security provider is making "tweaks" and want you to try it again to see if its resolved.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
rustbelt

Post by rustbelt »

Posted just now in the Ask your mechanical question section.
Thanks for your help.
1962 Monza 900

Return to “Introductions”