My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
64CorvairMonza

Re: My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

And yes, still thinking about how to replace that turn signal actuating ring.
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

OK, I just got in from taking a couple photos of what is behind the headlight buckets. I see that there should be a washer and nut to secure the bucket but not that it attaches to the mud guard. Anyway, driver;s side has a broke off stud which I hear is common cause nuts seize. The passenger side was a nice stud and no nut! Anyway, I guess I have enough excuse to buy a new pair. I will search Clark's and see if I can find them. IF someone has a clean pair to sell me, PM me. I mean clean by rust free and minor edge rust is expected but no amountable pitting. My guess is, by the red over-spray, the buckets were removed for painting the car. And I just learned that the splash pans are welded on. Glad mine don't have much damage to speak of. Wow. Back out for now!!
100_2860.JPG
100_2865.JPG
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

OK, I removed my headlight buckets!! This is getting easier than I thought. Instead of a wiring harness fed through each bucket on one long run, the individual light harnesses unplug behind each light bucket from the main harness to remove out the front of the car and the turn signal housings just clip into place in the housing from behind. The horns are sounding dull and worn out and I want to replace them with meep meep VW horns. The mud guards look as if they only stop half the crap the tires might sling forward being open about a inch or two on both sides. The front fender is open to the top just like the MGB fenders. This will require a really good coat of under-coating when I'm done cleaning the areas up. Anyway, I'm ready for a new set of buckets and gaskets now. Everything looks solid and I'm pleased so far.
DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0023.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0018.JPG
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Just touchin' base again...

Today I drained 8 gals from my tank and pleased to say there was no debris in the fuel, so I will recycle it through my riding lawn mower. I did pour 5 fresh gallons of 91% back in the tank after replacing that 8" by 5/16" fuel hose w/ new clamps. I did remove a 3/8" fuel hose someone put on there and after research, found it was suppose to be a 5/16" line and I made it so. The new line fit nice and snuggly about 1- 1/2" onto each line and clamped nicely before I dumped the fuel in.

After I dumped the fuel in the tank, I set the choke and fired it up and made sure the new fuel ran through the lines. While it was running, I put my hand in front of each of the two tailpipes and the passenger side was really putting out, while the driver's side was about 1/2 or so as much pressure but still fairly smooth. I call it compression. There was some fuel smell and maybe a shy bit of light smoke maybe but not very noticeable on the low pressure side. I am lead to believe that I am going to need a new set of plugs because of the un-burnt (semi-rich) fuel smell from the driver's side bank. I suspect that one plug isn't burning well. When I hit the gas to trip off the choke, the car didn't want to idle well and just shut down, so I left it shut down until I figure out what's wrong. Other wise is sounded fairly smooth running except for the occasional misfire I'm sure is from the driver's side bank. And why it has dual exhaust, I'll never know. They don't look like headers and since the engine looks so clean and the engine compartment painted red, I wonder if this is the original engine because obviously it was pulled for the paint work. :think:

I am ready to pull the seats and give the interior floor a good undercoating and a sound deadener treatment. I want to use the hard shell undercoating that can be painted and things can adhere to it. I thought about using trunk spatter and then clear coating it for a seal. After I finish topside, I will give the bottom a good hard shell undercoating before bringing it back off the jack stands. One reason to raise it was so I could flush the tank, so, now to the next step. I still have to install that turn signal activator ring so I can install the steering wheel also.

I am really impressed with the condition of the suspension the more I look at it. GM sure loves to use undercoating. Still looking for a pair 'single pin' of MEEP MEEP horns. Maybe with the TWO PIN ones I find everywhere, if I just ground on pin to the mounting bolt and plug the positive car harness plug on the other, it may be the same. I just need to get a new FILLER NECK rubber seal to stabilize the filler neck from banging around. I hope this can be done from the outside. And I banged out that crinkled spot in my splash pan edge/lip since it's welded on and not removable. It' looks much better now(photos of that next time). Anyway, some photos for now....
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG
DSC_0018.JPG
DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0037.JPG
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

I found something interesting if someone would like to comment on it. Thanks.

OK, today I went out to sit and take a look at the turn signal activator ring and study it prior to removal and noticed the spring and plastic bushing absent!!!! That explains the special lock washer I found left behind in the column! Well, the Turn Signal ring I received contained the spring and bushing. What a coincidence. I can't tell is anything else is missing but everything else appears to be there. I took many photos for you to look at and tell me what you think and why someone may remove them parts! I found no evidence that this steering wheel was ever removed ( although Turn Signal Actuator Ring screw looks molested). Am I to use the spring and bushing? It worked without it. The only assembly help I could find in relation was a guy attempting to re-assemble his steering column on his 1963 Corvette. They share the same Turn signal parts as the 1964 Corvair. Thanks for looking and thanks for your comments so far!! When I get word, I will go finish installation of the steering wheel. OH, and be careful>> This is TWICE now that someone said 'BRAND NEW IN THE BOX' but you can clearly see the filth on the spring. Use caution in what you read on EBAY!!!!!! The threads for the turn lever on the actuator ring are like new though thank goodness!!!!! Also, feel free to zoom in as these are 'FINE' 5 GB photos, if you need to. The last photos will be of the Corvette column as the guy put the spring in place. Thanx again.
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0026.JPG
DSC_0027.JPG
DSC_0028.JPG
DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

It don't appear that anything will fall apart once the ring is lifted out( since I found the lock washer already off the screw) and in assembly, I just put the spring in place on the posts like on this Corvette photo, then with grease install the plastic bushing to hold it in place, and I'll drop the flat head screw in and from the other side with grease, then the lock washer for the grease to hold it in place, and after putting the two metal 'swivel' gadgets in place,and then set the ring back in place and snug the screw............RIGHT? :think: Hold on, let me catch my breath..... :rolling:

Photos from the 63' Corvette stering column...
corvette_steering_column_wedge_9b7972524cc0a0af90c2aa6bfa4298c123700c2e (1).jpg
corvette_steering_canceling_cam_9eafc02c7361dee92b04e457f249f5ecb8c79b4c.jpg
0.jpg
vette_turn_sig_housing_02b96a952f8c9fc74ef47cfb35e6a9dc77f0a3a6.jpg
vette_turn_sig_housing_02b96a952f8c9fc74ef47cfb35e6a9dc77f0a3a6.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 734 times
vette_canceling_ring_c41b0e800942e56ba93f5f7a20438df4277bd576.jpg

And just so you know, the Corvette guys refer to the Corvair manual for turn signal assembly!!!
"Here are the full two pages out of the Corvair Manual
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1963_Turn_Signals.pdf (136.1 KB, 26 views)
Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-29-2018 at 09:05 AM."

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1 ... 1598240592

EXAMPLE of the related steering wheel system. NOT my video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmyK_Q5Q5Pc
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The spring and roller provides the center stop for the TS lever and helps it self center after a turn. The roller rides against the side with the 2 bumps on it. I have seen them assembled wrong.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

terribleted wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:41 pm The spring and roller provides the center stop for the TS lever and helps it self center after a turn. The roller rides against the side with the 2 bumps on it. I have seen them assembled wrong.
Great Thanks, and it seems to me that the 'roller' may be shown upside down in Clark's advertisement? I thought that the lip on the roller would be above the spring to keep it from falling down below unless something down below supports that. OK, then the roller rides on the 'outside' of that spring then. I can't wait to install. This is going to be great!! All I will have left is headlight assembly, carpet( cause I like red carpet), and a headliner. But first, I am looking for two (a set) rust free headlight buckets and lamp retainer rings for the 1964 Corvair Monza Coupe. I may change the retainer springs also. I'm off to order my 'buckets to body' gaskets.
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0111.JPG
DSC_0069.JPG
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

The photo of assembly. Is the 'roller' upside down in the photo on the right?
87.jpg
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Yeah the wide washer part of the roller goes up so the lower side of it rides on top of the spring keeping it from falling down into the column and yes the roller rides on the outside of the spring.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Where the heck is that LIKE button??!! Thanks man, your help is awesome!! :beavisbutthead:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

NP I been doing these cars inside out since the mid 80's, sometimes my advice is right:) Glad to try to help in any case.

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

YEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWW!!! This is a game changer!! All this time I assumed I had an AM radio... Then I ran across some radio face-plates on ebay and my curiosity made me go look at what mine looks like...(vertical line, style)) Then I noticed my radio was an AM/FM!! Well, I thought that was strange but thought it looked original so I came in to get my camera for a few shots of my AM/FM radio to share......Then i was about to take the photo.....When all of a sudden my back light lit the object prior to the flash, I saw green transparent squares on the upper right top area of my radio and I thought, that can't be.....could it??? I reached over and pushed on the front of the radio to reveal an 8-Track slot!!!!! So, now I have an AM/FM 8-track player!!!!!!! A buddy of mine just gave me his 8-track collection a week ago as I said earlier and I was going to install an 8-track player under the dash,but, now I don't need too!!! Since I have the Corvair Monza 900, could it even be possible to get such a radio in 1964?????????? I'm not sure but I didn't think FM existed in 1964. Anyway, I took some photos so someone may tell me what they think I actually have. Looks too old to be RETRO but maybe from a few years newer car?? Original??? Still looking for a clean set of headlight buckets and a driver's side wheel well molding that is missing. Can't find the buckets at Clark's so far but still looking. On the front of the radio it says 'BOMAN'
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:google: :search: If you Google "Boman Radio" you can find information that shows this aftermarket vintage electronics company manufactured AM/FM 8-Track and Cassette radios for cars. They also made Citizens Band (CB) radios, color bars, and other gadgets.
:link: https://www.google.com/search?q=boman+r ... wOaUCqgQM:

boman silver series deluxe am/fm 8-track (New in box never taken out)

$189.00 + $11.06 Shipping
or Best Offer

eBay item number:174128861786

:link: https://www.ebay.com/i/174128861786?chn ... gKIpvD_BwE
Boman SS-1220 Radio
Boman SS-1220 Radio
boman silver series deluxe am/fm 8-track. Condition is New

Boman Silver Series ( model number SS-1220) never opened deluxe am/fm 8 track. Please take look at photos.

Item will typically ship out next day,

Thank you

Wikipedia wrote:The 8-track tape (formally Stereo 8; commonly known as the eight-track cartridge, eight-track tape, or simply eight-track) is a magnetic tape sound-recording technology that was popular in the United States from the mid-1960s to the early 1980s, when the Compact Cassette format took over. The format is regarded as an obsolete technology, and was relatively unknown outside the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, West Germany, Italy and Japan.

The Stereo 8 Cartridge was created in 1964 by a consortium led by Bill Lear of Lear Jet Corporation,[6] along with Ampex, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Motorola, and RCA Victor Records (RCA - Radio Corporation of America). It was a further development of the similar Stereo-Pak four-track cartridge introduced by Earl "Madman" Muntz (marketing and television set dealer), which was adapted by Muntz from the Fidelipac cartridge developed by George Eash. A later quadraphonic (four-channel sound as opposed to earlier more widely used stereo/two channel sound) cartridge version of the format was announced by RCA in April 1970 and first known as Quad-8, then later changed to just Q8.
:link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_tape
bbodie52 wrote:A working copy of an original Late Model Corvair AM/FM radio is both rare and expensive. The add-on external stereo multiplex decoder is even more rare, and also expensive. The multiplex stereo option was discontinued in 1968. The sound quality, tuner sensitivity, etc. would be mediocre, at best. Here are a couple of current eBay examples...

1965 Chevrolet AM-FM Radio Multiplex Stereo Adapter Chevelle Z-16 Impala Corvair

$324.99

:link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Chevrolet ... ctupt=true

eBay item number:401747136959

1965 66 67 68 68 Chevy Corvair Monza OEM Delco AM / FM Radio Serviced 986865

$749.99

:link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-66-67-68- ... SwVWpbfA8A

eBay item number:132751855932

There is a small slide-switch in the rare Late Model Delco AM-FM radio (see arrow). Moving the slide switch reset the electronics for AM or FM reception, and also mechanically moved the display to show an AM or FM scale. The stereo multiplex decoder was optional. I have not seen a factory AM/FM radio option in 1964 and earlier Corvairs.
AM-FM Pushbutton Corvair Radio (1965-1966)
AM-FM Pushbutton Corvair Radio (1965-1966)
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

For headlight buckets and other used parts...

You might contact the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. They have a large inventory of used Corvair parts and may be able to help you. Recommend you give them a call to discuss your needs...

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: 717-624-2805

fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine

Email: findit@theranch.today

Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12 or contact us for an appointment.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Awesome information and great history lesson. Thanks!!

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”