Strange noise

All Models and Years
ronenbetzalel

Strange noise

Post by ronenbetzalel »

I have a question today while driving the car I notice a rattling noice I drove back home and look under. Cont don’t find where it come from but it look like it’s coming from the fly wheel area you mostly hear it in low rpm.
I disconnect the belt from the fan and from the AC just to make sure it’s not the fan.
I attached two video.
Any idea ?

https://youtu.be/rZZUnRlgzvU

Thank you

Ronen
1964 corvair monza 110hp
terribleted

Re: Strange noise

Post by terribleted »

Is the car a stick shift or automatic?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: :wave: Welcome, Ronen, to the Corvair Forum!

Air conditioned Corvairs are pretty rare. Does your A/C work? I hope you will post some photographs of your Corvair.
AirVair Group wrote:Chevrolet took another big gamble when they developed and offered the Air Conditioning system for the Corvair. Unusual design was required by the need for sufficient air movement thru the condenser and the result was a very strange looking installation, to say the least.

When the Corvair was first made available with A/C in the Spring of 1961 the base price of a Monza Club Coupe was $2201.00 So the Air Conditioning added around 16% to the cost of the car!! About 1% of the buyers stepped up - about 3000 Air 'Vairs in 1961. The percentage increased in 1962 to a whopping 2.5% ! This was the Corvair’s best sales year with 306,000 cars sold, so around 7,650 Air 'Vairs were created. 1963 was also a great year for the Corvair with over 254,000 made and again about 2.5% or 6641 had cool drivers and passengers.

1964 saw some major mechanical changes to the Corvair with the engine displacement stroked to 164 cu. in. with the result of about a 20% power gain and the rear suspension revised to improve ride and handling. But Americans were used to a New Look every year, and Corvairs were in there fourth year with only minor trim variations to tell the cars apart - Why buy a new car when your neighbors can't tell?? As a result, another 50,000 drop in sales to under 200,000 but the increased power brought out more A/C buyers at 3.20% produced, 6401 more cool ones added to the pool...
:link: https://www.corvair.org/chapters/airvairs/

If your Corvair has a manual transmission, and it rattles loudly from the clutch area while idling in Neutral, does the rattling sound stop when you start to depress the clutch pedal? If you have a loose, noisy flywheel, the noise will often stop when you press the clutch pedal enough to bring the throwout bearing into contact with the clutch diaphragm spring in the clutch pressure plate. The physical contact with the throwout bearing can dampen the vibration and loose flywheel and will often silence te rattling sound. The rattling sound will return when you take your foot off of the clutch pedal.
Clark's Corvair Parts wrote:We offer REBUILT STOCK FLYWHEELS and SOLID STEEL FLYWHEELS. Be sure to read about each type before ordering. We also offer bolt kits to rebuild your own. Flat? Recessed? See page 108! Bad Flywheels: Stock flywheels are riveted together. They are usually good for 50,000 to 110,000 miles, then they start to rattle and later also vibrate badly. If yours has over 75,000 miles and you are replacing a clutch disc, I would replace the flywheel. Be sure to replace all seaIs and gaskets
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=109

Unfortunately, the "fix" requires removing the engine and transaxle from the vehicle, separating the engine from the transaxle, and performing a clutch overhaul (replacing all worn parts — not just the worn flywheel).

If you determine that a replacement clutch is in your future and you plan to do it yourself, check back with us for advice before you begin the project. If you are a member of a local CORSA (Corvair society of America) club chapter, you may be able to recruit some assistance there to make the job easier and safer.

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair. Your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities helps a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you, your Corvair, and you plans for your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing where you live may also help, as your location may suggest some possibilities or solutions.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:welcome:

:chevy:
Attachments
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation.pdf
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch
(459.77 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6 - Power Train.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6 - Power Train
(704.51 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6 - Power Train.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6 - Power Train
(32.63 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch
(256.53 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
ronenbetzalel

Post by ronenbetzalel »

Thank you for the quick replay.

I give you a bit background about me and the car.
I live in northern NJ.
I bought the car about 2 months ago
It had two owners - one from 1964 to 1998 and the second from 1998 to 2019.
It’s a 2 door with 54k original miles and factory AC. It’s 110hp monza 900 and it’s a 2 speed power glide

I love the car and I did some basic maintenance on it - check plugs, wires, oil pan seal, valve cover seal, I changed 6 push rod tube o rings, two new carburetors, 4 new tiers, fixes and change all heater ducts - needed a good heat in NJ - I changed the gas tank and the sander and the steering wheel stabilizer bar bushing

I love the car and drive it every day

Back to the strange noise - it’s happening while in drive or in neutral and it’s mostly noticeable in low rpm.
I can’t tell where exactly it’s coming from but it’s from the area of the back where the engine meet the transmission

Here are some picture of the car

By the way I met Jeff from corvair range - he is a great guy and helped me a lot - thank you Jeff
Attachments
0AD8FFBD-38B1-4B73-BACA-11D4124605FA.jpeg
156776E7-6293-4918-8BFB-8B1CF867848B.jpeg
CB47D6B9-B65C-4506-A418-0ADD251B6707.jpeg
5D15002F-4DF6-4E66-97EB-42320C178032.jpeg
D1D3B7DE-9D80-4E73-B5AC-4FC57C20A384.jpeg
C9D38EFE-ABD0-4435-960E-2F986B8B3574.jpeg
18CA7BFF-4AEF-44EB-AED1-A1B781F07A25.jpeg
99661906-382F-4096-BA56-401673359E94.jpeg
7A8EDB39-F470-4A3F-97C1-F797E0683E5D.jpeg
F2B7041B-D856-44AF-A1F4-D592414C7055.jpeg
2120A249-9798-473A-8345-CC79595D2A49.jpeg
D09AF857-7223-467E-AF9B-F4728A2E1F53.jpeg
C9268439-EFC1-43C6-90ED-11EF38EC2CD1.jpeg
94F48FEC-3A49-4901-A2E6-3987D5ADB5E1.jpeg
19DAE825-7397-4AC5-A712-604969788DD0.jpeg
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Check to make sure the three bolts holding the trans. flex plate to the torque converter are tight.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

1964 Monza (2).jpg
1964 Monza (1).jpg
1964 Monza Body Tag.jpg
BODY TAG INFO:

03C
Body Build Date: 03 = March, C = Third Week
The first digits are numbers 1 through 12, indicating the month of manufacture. The letter is A-E, indicate the week of the month. If the letter is a "C" it indicates the third week of the month.

STYLE 64 0927 WR 59796 BODY
64=1964
Model 0927 — 2-Door Monza Coupe — 4 Passenger, 09 = 900 Series Monza, 27 = 2-Door Coupe,
WR = Willow Run, Michigan, Production Sequence No: 59796
1964 Monza 2-Door Coupe — 4 Passenger, Total Production: 88,440.

TRIM 755 = AQUA
This 3 digit codes represents the interior paint and upholstery color and seat type.

INTERIOR PAINT CODE
1964: A= Aqua B= Blue C= Saddle D= Red E= Black F= Fawn Q= White/Red

BODY PAINT 918
918 = Medium Aqua "Azure Aqua"
Image EXAMPLE

918 = "Azure Aqua" Lucite No. 4253L, Rinshed-Mason No. A1476, Ditzler No. DDL12525

1964 Fisher bodytags ACC line. (WR only)
The Letters are listed in groups. Letters following a number is in that group. The code letters are listed in the order they would appear. Some letters are in more than one group

First Group ( no numeric indicator)
E = RPO A02 — Tinted windshield and side glass

2 = Second Group
M = RPO M35 — Powerglide Automatic Transmission
E = RPO C64 — Air Conditioning

3 = Third Group
NONE

4 = Fourth Group
NONE

5 = Fifth Group
O = ? (Possibly Exterior Chrome) (Guessing — Possibly Luggage Rack???) Front and Rear Bumper Guards were Dealer Installed Accessories

Attachments
1964 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1964 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Since you have an automatic transmission, I wonder if the flex plate that secures the crankshaft to the transmission torque converter might be loose or missing a bolt?

Steps 3 an 4 below indicates that all three bolts should be hand-started prior to torquing. I believe the bolts should be long enough to reach the torque converter.

The flex plate has a convex and a concave side. Installation is addressed in the link to the Corvair Center...

Flex Plate Installation
:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,368064
'64 Flex Plate
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 24, 2018 01:34PM

You find the craziest things on cars other people have worked on. I thought I would find the flex plate on upside down because the bolts were too far forward when I was taking it apart but I was wrong. Never would have guessed.

ImageImage
According to the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog, the flex plates are different for 1960-1963 (145 CI) and 1964-1969 (164 CI) engines, with a slightly deeper (.375) concave offset for the 145 CI engines, and a .325 concave offset for the 164 CI engines.

Part number CU1697B: USED-FLEX PLATE 64-69-CONCAVE SIDE GOES AGAINST CRANKGEAR - CONCAVE = .325

Weight: 3 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 10(6),U-2(6),U-22(38«)
Price: $ 24.00

Part number CU1697A: USED-FLEX PLATE 60-63-CONCAVE SIDE GOES AGAINST CRANKGEAR-CONCAVE = .375

Weight: 3 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 10(6),U-2(6),U-22(38«)
Price: $ 18.00

:chevy:
Brad Bodie
ronenbetzalel

Post by ronenbetzalel »

wow - so much info - Brad - thank you for all the information !

do you know where can i download the service manual for my 1964 car ?

do i need to remove the engine ?

also - do you know where can i find a local mechanic that can check and know the corvair - is there any database where i can look?

i live in Tenafly NJ 07670

Like the pictures modification !!! - will save them

Thank you !
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Wagon Master wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:32 am Check to make sure the three bolts holding the trans. flex plate to the torque converter are tight.
This is what I would do first. If these are good I would guess an internal differential issue from listening to the video but can not hear things like this well from a distance:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Don't forget a broken flex plate. I've had this quite a bit and it continues to get worse until it sounds like a broken crank. The bell housing is also often broken.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
ronenbetzalel

Post by ronenbetzalel »

so I guess we need to remove the engine right ?
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Not for loose flex plate bolts.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
ronenbetzalel

Post by ronenbetzalel »

i get access to it ?
just on a lift or i need to disconnect something ?
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

You can get to the access panel shown in Brad's post without engine removal. You may have to remove front shroud sheet metal.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

You can inspect the torque converter flex plate attachment bolts via the metal access plate shown on the bell housing. Some engine sheet metal at the front of the engine will have t be removed to expose the cover plate on the aluminum bell housing.

You can also see a portion of the torque converter and the starter ring gear via a large opening on the lower right side of the bell housing.

NOTE: DO NOT CLIMB UNDER THE CAR UNLESS IT IS PROPERLY SUPPORTED ON FIRM GROUND (I.E. CONCRETE OR ASPHALT PAVEMENT) BY JACK STANDS. DO NOT TRUST A HYDRAULIC JACK OR MECHANICAL SCISSORS JACK TO SUPPORT THE CAR! NEVER USE CONCRETE CINDER BLOCKS OR SIMILAR MATERIALS TO HOLD THE CAR UP IN THE AIR FOR MAINTENANCE.

As mentioned in my earlier post...

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

You will need to download the complete 1961 Corvair Shop Manual and the 1964 Supplements.

The bolts that hold the flex plate to the torque converter (3) can be accessed, inspected, and tightened via the metal access plate at the top of the aluminum bell housing. if one or more bolts are missing...

1960-69 flexplate bolt, used, #RTP89

:link: https://www.corvair1.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=1907

You would not have to remove the engine and transaxle unless the flex plate or torque converter had to be replaced.
...i live in Tenafly NJ 07670...
The members of the local CORSA club chapter can probably assist you or identify any local mechanics who are knowledgeable about Corvairs.

27 min (13.9 mi) via NJ-4 E

New Jersey Assn. of Corvair Enth. Ridgewood, NJ

:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/njace/
Welcome to the official web site of the New Jersey Association of Corvair Enthusiasts, Inc. (NJACE)

We celebrate America's most innovative historic production car, the Chevrolet Corvair! To access the pages that make up this site, please click on the hot links at the top of this page.

What is NJACE ?

NJACE is one of the many regional chapters of the Corvair Society of America (CORSA), a non-profit organization that was incorporated to satisfy the common needs of individuals interested in the preservation, restoration, and operation of the Chevrolet Corvair. NJACE caters to Corvair people who live between the Hudson River and the Delaware River in the northern half of New Jersey. But our members reside all across the country, from New York State to Florida to California. We have Corvair tech sessions, social events, parts auctions, road tours and more. This is a very special car club!

40 min (28.2 mi) via I-80 W
Saturday, December 7, 2019 :::: Monthly Breakfast at the Empire Diner
Location: The Empire Diner, 1315 U.S. 46, Parsippany, NJ 07054. Start time: 9 AM. Directions: The Empire Diner is on the eastbound side of U.S. 46, a short distance east of I-287, and easy to get to from I- 80 or I-287. Click HERE for a map showing the diner's location. Remember, at each breakfast we hold a drawing in which one attendee wins their breakfast for free, and another attendee wins a gift certificate from Clark's Corvair Parts. You can win only if you're there! Also at our December meeting - Elections for Year 2020 officers!

Saturday, January 4, 2020 :::: Monthly Breakfast at the Empire Diner
Location: The Empire Diner, 1315 U.S. 46, Parsippany, NJ 07054. Start time: 9 AM. Directions: The Empire Diner is on the eastbound side of U.S. 46, a short distance east of I-287, and easy to get to from I- 80 or I-287.
Brad Bodie
ronenbetzalel

Post by ronenbetzalel »

Thank you brad for the information
I was planing to drive the car on Saturday 12/7 to the monthly meeting for the first time. I guess it’s not safe to drive it like this. I will probably will go to meet those member and look for help with a local mechanic that know that car. My guy is not familiar with corvair.

I will try to get access to those bolts and check them

I have attached two images.
This is the cover that need to be removed ?
I guess I need to check it from the top of the engine (not from under the car )

Thank you
Attachments
49E10F42-0F31-492F-95F8-3DE9B563A49C.jpeg
C54817CD-16ED-40DC-88E8-E5690EB6F49E.jpeg

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”