My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
64CorvairMonza

My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Hey everyone!!

Just thought I would make a legit thread of my red1964 Corvair Monza Coupe instead of continuing in 'New Member Introductions'. Yes, this is my official build thread where I will post photos of before, during, and after shots of the task. I will be replacing the gas tank and I will be replacing all springs and shocks as the car has a sag towards the driver's side and rear. I know that if there's an issue on one corner, it can lean the whole car to one side, so I'm going to dig into that area after the tank replacement. I will be replacing the sender and what ever else is involved, but, I'm sure the tank strap is rust free as the car is also.

My older brother had a Rampside Corvair truck when I was in my mid teens and I thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I've always wanted a Corvair w/ the shifter in the dash and at 57 yrs. old, I finally can remove that off my bucket list...... I guess that would be for automatics only, and I got one!! Never knew they were two speed power-glides. That's awesome. I love the car because to me, they are simple and you can dump very little cash into them to make them very nice and enjoyable to go cross country. My neighbor had the 64 Convertible and reminded me to have extra belts on hand. I also want to thank those who have been a big hep so far and for the work of deciphering my tags!! :ty:

My dad also started working at the GM plant in Kalamazoo, Michigan when it opened sometime between 64 and 1966 and he retired in 1995 after working 30 years there. I guess that's what made me a full fledged GM product admirer....

Now it's off to photo reduction so I can post my photos, but in the meanwhile I will post photos from the sale ad. Thanks, Scott :chevy:
00D0D_jDaNRzzBOpa_1200x900.jpg
00u0u_8uoeZv0yisy_1200x900.jpg
00l0l_ewhKkiJzSiy_1200x900.jpg
00V0V_dL7kleMP9ze_1200x900.jpg
01111_e6nfmcp4ZWX_1200x900.jpg
64CorvairMonza

Re: My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

BTW, the last owner that I bought the car from just put it into storage when he bought it 10 years ago along with his Corvair collection and his dragsters including a Corvair dragster that he said holds the current world record for Corvair top speed dragster racing. I didn't ask and all I know is his name is Dave. The previous owner is Michael Meyers and I think there's some drag racing history in his family as well. I'm thinking Warren Meyers??Anyway, I know I was so lucky to get this car this close to Turkey Rod Run in Daytona Beach next week! It was listed for $3,700 and I only had $3000 on me at the time and Dave said that would be fine!!
Here are a couple metal tags. One in the door jam and one in the engine compartment.

Thanks all, Scott
100_2856.JPG
100_2847.JPG
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

OK, I'm back from editing the photo sizes. Here's a few to start with.

https://postimg.cc/v1h68FJz
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Here's some more photos after I got it home. Some idiot decided to mount a Mustang rear wing on the engine lid and I removed it. That's why I have holes to fill now! :tu: :tu:
MyCorvairPhotosResized.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized1.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized2.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized3.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized4.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized5.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized6.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized7.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized8.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized9.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized10.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized11.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized12.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized13.jpg
MyCorvairPhotosResized14.jpg
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Post by terribleted » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:01 pm

welcome! There is no drain plug on the fuel tank. It is pretty easy to drain, however, as the fuel sender on the right side bottom of the tank connects to the main body hard line with a rubber joiner hose. open this connection and drain the tank thru the hose. Idle issue could be due to old fuel and I would certainly drain old stale fuel and refill with fresh premium fuel (Corvairs really need premium anyway) and see if that fixes it. If not there are likely deposits in the carbs from sitting and cleaning and rebuild of the carbs may be needed (simple carbs, pretty easy to rebuild using the shop manual). Manuals and parts are available from Corvair vendors, the largest of which is Clark's Corvair Parts who have been in the Corvair parts business since the 70's.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

And for a little background so you know I understand what you're telling me. I'd be happy with links, tips, and what to but to improve my 64 Corvair to semi modernize it. What did you do to yours that you'll never regret?

Been wrenching on cars since I was 16 years old. My first car was a 62 Volkswagon convertibe when I was 16, 2nd> 1970 VW bug, 3rd> 65 Mustang Coupe, 4th> 73 Buick Skylark, then 70 Mustang Mach I, then 74 Dodge Dart, then 1967 Chevy Impala, 1964 Cadillac Convertible, 1965 Chevy Impala RS, 1971 Chevy El Camino SS, Pontiac Fire Bird, etc. etc......... I'm a seasoned mechanic and very mechanically inclined. I can fabricate pretty much anything I need if I have too. But I prefer to buy what I need.

Have had a lot of cars up to the present and restored quite a few. I had a 1973 Olds Cutlass fast back and dropped a Buick 455 into it... I love to customize and improve. I have pretty much all the tools I will ever need and if i don't, my buddy/neighbor owns his own automotive repair shop. I consider myself a shade tree mechanic and I'm a perfectionist. I built an 800 sq. ft. shop just for working on my rides. I'm 57 now and I'm loving what I'm doing. I'm also a mig welder and retired due to a motorcycle accident in 1998 where I messed up my back when I slammed my bike into a car that rolled through a stop sign early in the morning across my path on a highway I was on, doing 60 mph. Thank goodness I can walk and function ok, but it can get rough sometimes.

On my Corvair I will change out the gas tank and all related items, change out all springs and shocks. The carbs are new, I'm told but, they don't look it, but they work fine. I would like to find a carb conversion manifold where a two barrel or small 4 barrel might supply both sides through the intake like on the Spyders. I'm also going to find some sporty aluminum wheels. My favorite would be the old school cyclone, aluminum slots/rally, or Cragar wheels. I don't want to go over 14" tall and 13" is fine with me. I also want to convert all to disc brakes.

This is also my first car with a one piece rubber window insert and I've seen tips on installing them with a pic of rope pulled to bring the flap over the metal,but I need to go research more because there is a spot that may soon need attention near the pass. side rear window. I hate to let it go for too long.

I live in Florida ( Originally from Vicksburg, Michigan)where we can work out doors in our bare feet all year around LOL... Palm Coast, Florida to be specific. And this was just to answer your question so I'm going to refer to my new thread now. IF you could transfer some of your info here to that thread, I would like that so I didn't have to run around looking for info. :tu:

Thanks, Scott
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

There are these two spring steel hangar type rods in the trunk(front) that I don't seem to get along with or don't know how to fully use correctly. I opened the trunk compartment and they fell into place and supported the lid. I went to close the lid and had resistance and tried laying them forward but they seem to bind the lid bracket so I just pulled them and laid them on the trunk floor and when I open the hod, I lay the left side in place and it holds fine. Too bad we don't have the sliders like we have for the engine compartment lid! Maybe I will see if I can adapt a pair like they use on the MG's. I'd rather make these work cause it looks like the have spring tension for opening the truck lid. Anyone modify their system? I could go with an electric motor to lift and close the lid like I did with my MG, but that truck lid is awfully big for one side support.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The front trunk lid is supposed to be self supporting. It uses 2 long torsion rods that bracket behind a steel pin in the rear center of the trunk. The other ends of the rods (the end with the little short 90 degree bend), push against tabs on the rear of the hood hinges. When installed and tensioned properly, when you unlatch the latch the lid will pop open and can then be raised with little effort and will stay fully raised with spring tension. If the wrong pin slot is used to retain the inboard end of the torsion springs the lid will be hard to lift and will not stay all the way up un-assisted. If the rods are adjusted too tight the lid will be hard to open and will pop up too quickly. As I recall the 64 uses the second hole in toward the firewall. I do not recall ever using the outermost pin hole.

I just looked at your photos. The driver side hood hinge is out of place. The hinge end is not caught on the hinges spring tab. The tab could be missing as well I have seen them broken off in the past and had to make them with my welder. The passenger side looks like it might be in the right place. That outer end goes in behind some tabs on the bottom of the hinge. Installing correctly involves removing the centrepin, setting the rods properly in place and then finding a way to apply tension in the center to re-install the tensioning pin. I fabricated a piece of hard wood that I can put against the face of the rods and pry them back far enough to get the pin back in. There is a fair amount of tension on these and caution is advised.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Thanks for all the advice so far! Now an update> After doing extensive research on how to lift the Corvair and how to remove the tank, and realizing the jack and a jack stand won't fit in the same place at once, I've finally narrowed down my tank issues after laying there looking at my tank and locating my sending unit and coming to the realization that BOTH ARE NEW! SHWEET! Even the gas hose looks newly replaced... I went and turned my key to watch the gas gauge go from the 'F' full mark to midway (backwards) revealing a half tank of fuel. Now, I believe someone has their wires backwards. I'm also going to drain the tank and check the fuel anyway. NOW, I know for a fact that I will have to replace the 'connector hose' that the inlet filler tube connects to the tank with along with two clamps. I also seem to think that the filler tube top doughnut is all but missing because of the play and the fact that I can see through the circular gap LOL.... OK, I hope that fix is good news and that I don't need to drop the tank for those issues.

I also spent a few days window shopping for parts and one part in particular was what I call the 'manual floor shift delete plate' since I have an automatic. It didn't matter how many names I gave that plate, I could not come close to tripping Google to bring it up!!! I searched a 'supplier' and couldn't find it!!! Comon' ! It's a Corvair part also, and such an easy part to duplicate and you don't even need a stamp to do so. I am not afraid to duplicate sheet metal parts if I need to. And with the prices that I see venders/suppliers offering( like their stuff is made of gold) is terrible! That leads me to my next pet peeve!

I've never seen a market so pricey as I have the Corvair parts market and I say shame on you to those who make it tough for a man to pay a fair price to make his ride show worthy...... or even the least bit road worthy. Thank Goodness I'm not needing a full restoration, but maybe a few trinkets here and there, because I'll be damned if I go broke making another business's profits hit the ceiling. Oh sure, I've hear this and that and tear jerker stories about how these venders give so much to charity and clubs, and give so much back to the public in more ways that we can count BUT, if it wasn't for the jacked up prices the customer pays, they would be just another fair priced booming business. And all the greatness that those so-called venders and parts outlets/suppliers do for the good of the world, the true recognition NEVER goes to those who truly made that happen..... THE CUSTOMER!!! Parts outlets are so praised for the charities and raffles, etc. they hold......Wouldn't it be NICE for once if ALL those making a buck off their customers just so they can look like a jewel in the public's eye, give credit where credit belongs!!??!! IF I feel I'm not seeing or hearing the PHRASE, " Thanks to all of our customers for making this all possible so that we may give to the many charities, hold raffles, and do good for those who need it"................. I will refuse to buy from such an organization and I will find my parts somewhere else!!!! I know for a fact that there's no lack of savage yards for parts, rebuilding, and being proud of the Chevrolet Corvair!!!!!! And number one, if you put out two books, one for parts and another where you have to go hunt down the price in through it's many pages of codes.... There's a problem!!! I already have one company I will be buying from as soon as I receive their catalog and I've been proud to use them ever since I started restoring my GM products since I was 17 years old! I only hope that they aren't the only choice I will have but if they are, they are a good choice so far! BTW, their catalogs are free because they want business and don't nickel and dime you to death to steal the fame you deserve and then charge you to have a sales catalog. I think if your business is huge, booming and doing very well as so to give to many charities, raffle cars off, and give plenty of free junk in contests... and all around the world, you can at least eat some printing costs............

And yes, Nader was an ass for what he claimed in his book about the Corvair that ultimately caused it's demise, but, he also made them affordable to us today!!! Sorry the parts prices for future restorations seem to reverse that effect!!!!!!!!!!! Like the ole saying goes, 'If they don't get you one way, they'll get you another'......

As for the color of my car, I've found this information. I hope the new paint is correct for color matching on a few 'touch up' chip spots, etc...
ALL models >> #922 Medium Red>> Sales name> Ember Red
100_2847.JPG

OK, with that said, and I'm sure I've made a few apples out there turn sour but it's the truth and I hear my sentiments echoing through out all forums/boards I have joined. Now, as for my story about not being able to find that mysterious 'manual shifter delete plate', ( which is what pissed me off to begin with), here's a photo and I hope someone can prove me wrong and show me a link to the item and with it's proper name. Luckily, even though is beautifully made with care and precision on my part just using a jig saw and a drill, LOL.... it's under the carpet hidden from those who look for originality..... And yes, I will spray under coating over that white Rustoleum paint...........

Finally got my avatar in place and here's the photos of the item in question that I had to make.
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

If the vendor you have been using for other breeds is OPGI, I suggest you price them against Clark's. Many of their prices are a lot higher and their inventory is weak on every thing that is Corvair specific. I have also seen many errors in their Corvair catalog. They do have prices in their catalog. Your reference to catalog with separate price list sounds like you are dissing Clark's. The reason they do this is the very high cost of printing catalogs. Their inventory is extensive including most of the little things you may need to complete whatever project you are doing. To reprint 400+ pages annually would cost a boatload of money that would have to be passed on as higher still parts prices. Clark's prices are a little higher than some other sources, but, their quality is generally as good as is available, something I can not say about many other sources. Clark's catalog has an excellent index in the front. If you use it a few times and get used to it finding parts will not require thumbing through 400 pages to find what you need.

I have worked on many other classics besides Corvairs and from my experiences I do not feel that Corvair parts prices are significantly higher than parts prices for other 60's classic cars ( talking about quality parts not some make due crap that many places sell) except for things that are Corvair specific. The Corvair market is a lot smaller than the Chevelle or Camaro, or Mustang, or add highly popular classic here market. Reproducing parts for any of these markets costs roughly the same amount for a similar part whether Chevelle or Corvair or whatever. The issue is that the tooling and manufacturing costs must be spread over fewer sales due to a smaller market. This results in higher prices for Corvair specific reproduction parts.

As far as the metal cover for the stick shift hole in the floor, I do not think this part has ever been reproduced. And yes to make this part in real reproduction would require a stamping as the factory part has and oval groove stamped in it. The Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, PA can likely hook you up with a used one, but, even just for shipping costs I would simply cut out a piece of sheet metal and screw it down sandwiching some body sealant and be done with it if yours is missing or unusable. You photos were not visible when I typed this paragraph. They are now. Nice plate you made!!

Glad you found a new tank and sender now you just have to use the wiring diagram and some troubleshooting to see what is wrong. Could be wiring could be crappy or incorrect sender. There are a number of possibilities. If the gauge moves at all the gauge is not likely the issue...possible...but not likely.

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I would say you haven't looked at pricing much. Clark's is usually pretty reasonable compared to any other antique car vendor that I've looked at. I bought some parts for my '66 Malibu recently from Clark's and they were better quality and less expensive than OPGI or anywhere else I could find them. They also invest a ton of money in reproducing parts you can't get anywhere else and sell them for reasonable prices.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

joelsplace wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:03 pm I would say you haven't looked at pricing much. Clark's is usually pretty reasonable compared to any other antique car vendor that I've looked at. I bought some parts for my '66 Malibu recently from Clark's and they were better quality and less expensive than OPGI or anywhere else I could find them. They also invest a ton of money in reproducing parts you can't get anywhere else and sell them for reasonable prices.
He did not say Clark’s or OPGI to be fair. I inferred these vendors. I fully agree Joel with your comments on Clark’s. Yes their catalog format is a little quaint perhaps, the depth is really pretty amazing when you get down to it. I thought OPGI only because I know of no other vendor that has significant Corvair parts inventory that also supplies other GM models. Maybe we will see more explanation of the OP’s displeasure.

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Thanks for the input. No, I don't like naming names or slamming anyone specifically just in case I am wrong or have been misled. I am sure that companies and competitors know we must do price comparisons if we want to make the most out of our rides. BTW, I know I can order online after searching Clark's online catalog also.... I hope I find Clark's very competitive like you say and then I would be proud to be their new customer for the Corvair restification. My only gripe summarized into a nutshell would be to give credit to the customer for the success of any company. Yes, I've seen Cal under customers cars giving a hand which says a lot!! I only used OPGI for parts I can't find anywhere else and when they seem to be the last resort, I guess any price seems fair. It can suck but there's no other choice if you can't duplicate it yourself. I have ordered the parts supply books from 2019 to 2025 so I can have a look. Maybe it won't be as hard as it seems like others say trying to price match parts between the two books. I didn't mean to sound harsh but I think the customer is due a lot of recognition for their support! Years ago when I restored my 65' Impala RS coupe, I had a catalog for very rare and discontinued parts and I don't remember that it was called. We need to have all of our bases covered during restorations. I'm probably going to replace all springs and shocks as well as maybe both carbs. I also am in the hunt for a new headliner and I want to find the heavy duty one piece carpeting. Even though my interior is black, I think breaking that up with a really nice red carpet would lighten it up a bit and look great.. I have a great admiration for one piece carpets!! And so far as my searches are concerned, I seem to find Clark's to be the largest and most complete supplier for the Corvair line. And when I place that 'manual shift delete plate' back in place with it's two screws, I seem to think I should use a bead of gasket sealer because I don't have that stamped oval that would redirect moisture back down or seal the hole. Don't know how water could splash up against it anyway.

Thanks for all your input! Scott
Last edited by 64CorvairMonza on Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

BTW ( in Vicksburg, Michigan), my dad had the Ramp Side Corvair truck back in around 1973 or so. Don't remember the year and neither does he ( I'm going to guess approx. 1963), but he said he couldn't find a throttle cable so he made one....Well, he worked at GM, so how good does that get... He was a Tool and Die Maker and had everything he needed at his fingertips. I remember when we kids broke off bolts on our go-kart engines, he would take them to work and 'tap' them out. Anyway, he bought that truck from our neighborhood Mom and Pa's store down the road who we were great friends with ( Rose and Nick Schneller). Well my dad said he fixed that throttle cable and continued to have engine issues and sold it to a friend of his who also worked at GM. He said he saw his friend one day some time after that and asked about the truck. His friend told him that he also was having trouble and one time it quit running and he parked it along the side of the road and walked away and never looked back... LOL!! Rich people do crazy stuff!!!!!!! I love the look of that Ramp Side. It was the coolest looking truck and when planted with a V-8!, and I've seen them wheelie down the drag strips! Sure miss that truck. Anyway, another bit of Corvair history in the family. I think my older brother had a 66 or newer car because I remember the shifter IN the dash unlike the 65 and older style shifter 'under' or off to the side of the dash as a 'paddle' type lever. Maybe it was a 62 and looked similar to the one in the photo below.

https://www.carsforsale.com/chevrolet-c ... 95-L103713
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.jpg (39.13 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The plate over the shifter hole was sealed from the factory. Not so much for water but more likely for air infiltration and to keep it stable and rattle free is my guess. Clark's headliners are excellent and they have a number of fabric styles and colors available. You can have your new headliner made in any of their available headliner fabrics if you request it, so you are not limited to what is correct for your year car. They also make excellent repro carpet sets (I do not believe there are any one piece carpets for the EM Corvair from anywhere) and again offer them in a variety of materials and colors. I highly suggest getting some free samples of headliner and carpet materials before ordering so you can be sure that the particular one is what you want. There are color representations in their new paper catalog, but, print is never as good as hands on when it comes to colors and textures:) The Clark's as well as a number of our other Corvair specific vendors (California Corvairs, Corvair Ranch, and Corvair 1 (Rafee) come to mind but there are others) are Corvair enthusiasts with Corvairs of their own. This gives them an edge at being able to help us and they care a lot more than some place that is just listing or remarketing Corvair parts to simply make a buck.

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

I hear ya and thanks for the leads. Yes, I've been impressed with Rafee's site and what he's done also. What an ambitious guy!! I've started the hunt for parts and I've hooked myself up with something I hadn't seen for many years and they are headlight covers as pictured below, kinda like reverse teardrop and official Chevrolet. I got the full set of four coming from Hawaii!!

I did find one company so far with the one piece carpet in 80/20 loop and it's approx $204 which is fair IF you can find them. They even have a vinyl floor in one piece for the Corvair but why? Maybe I would use it as an underlayment. I love the louvers on my engine deck lid and wanted to do something for the front and one idea was to use the 1969-1972 Nova SS hood louver set which would have been an easy quick mod but I checked my trunk lid and I believe it has too much curve to it and I don't want to ruin a good hood so I let that idea go. I'm also looking for aluminum slot rally wheels but I'm got for mix~n~match. I finds pairs more often than sets of four. I may have to buy wheel adapters to go to 5 X 4.75', which is very common.

I need to fix my glove-box door with a mod I've been reading about and I do have tiny taps for tiny screws to do just that. I would believe that the pot metal trim was riveted n place by it's own metal! I've seen so many glove-box doors like mine that I was beginning to think the look was normal. I don't understand how that get's bent. It's not like it's easy to bend. Maybe too many people resting their feet on the dash and then drop their heels and it catches. LOL... I also need to find a horn button. Oh, also found an carb induction set-up for the 110 HP engine but why a four barrel???? Do they make a Holley 200 ? Would it work right? Found a coo set of air cleaners too. I'll try and post photos to you can see what I'm referencing. Thanks for your input, time to go shopping. Scott
1964-chevrolet-corvair-monza (54).jpg
s-l1600 - 2019-12-01T003948.854.jpg
lug01.jpg
lug01.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
s-l1600 - 2019-12-01T085435.366.jpg
s-l1600 - 2019-11-30T184828.200.jpg
s-l1600 (95).jpg
s-l1600 - 2019-12-01T085735.163.jpg
s-l1600 - 2019-12-01T095344.448.jpg

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”