How's it Sounding to you guys?

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
cvair4life

How's it Sounding to you guys?

Post by cvair4life »

Just curious if your tuned ears can tell me anything about this engine based solely on my videos...

Enjoy... and apologies in advance as the only time I really have to work is late into the night... most of these videos were made around 11 P.M. and in 15 - 25°F weather.

These first two videos I had only done the valve train work... hadn't figured out how to use the Uni-Syn yet...

Ahhhh... figured the Uni-Syn out and I think I've managed to balance the air flow into the carbs.
1966 Corsa Coupe
cad-kid

Re: How's it Sounding to you guys?

Post by cad-kid »

idles much better after the sync up :tu:

Always fun to see vids & photos
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

It sounds like it's idling pretty fast . That might be because of a cylinder on the left/cold side not doing it's share of the work.

Here is the simplest most effective way to check it out. It's called a cylinder balance test and no tools are needed.

#1 Engine off - pull all plugs wires off the plugs one at a time and then put them back on but do not fully seat them or snap the boot back on.

#2 with engine running - carefully pull one plug wire off the plug slightly and note rpm drop or just use your ear to note how much the engine speed drops. Replace wire and do the same thing on the next plug and so on until you have checked all six cylinders.

All of the cylinders should react about the same when you pull off the wire. If all three on one side are not doing their job it's likely carb/vacuum related.

If only one or 2 cylinders are not doing their share it could be a number of things including spark or compression related.

Do the simple test and get back to us as to what you found . A video would likely help so we can hear how it reacts.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

Thanks Kevin. I'll do the tests and make a video. I have brand new plugs to put in but haven't got to it yet.
1966 Corsa Coupe
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

It's sounding better - good work.

I noticed you do not have the "fresh air" hose that goes from the top shroud through the oval hole in the firewall above the engine. Do you have a plate blocking this opening in the engine shroud?

Pardon my ignorance, but who is/was Michael Barney?

Marty Scarr
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

martyscarr wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but who is/was Michael Barney?

Marty Scarr
Previous owner of the car.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

yes the fresh air hose is plated over... gotta fix that... and I now have decided to route the crank case vent into the top of one of the carburetors as per suggestions from 1unsafe1 (kevin).

Yep! Michael Barney was the previous owner of the silver car that is in my avatar pic... not the car that is running in these videos.
1966 Corsa Coupe
66corsa57isetta
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 66corsa57isetta »

martyscarr wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but who is/was Michael Barney?
was?! lol i mean i may not have a particularly healthy diet, but i like to think i have a little bit of life left in me! lol
of course maybe not if i keep driving around in an isetta...... :think:
-Michael Barney
Ft. Wayne, Indiana

-1966 Corsa Coupe, 140, 4 speed (sold but still in good hands!!)

-1957 BMW isetta 300 bubble window, 13 HP, 4 speed BEAST!!
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

LOL Mike... yes you are not anywhere near to being "expired"
1966 Corsa Coupe
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

It sure is hard to tell, but....that exhaust pipe on the driver's side seems to be popping and misfiring a bit. Yeah, plugs and maybe plug wires? IMO, the best thing you can do with these cars is get a bulletproof ignition system installed right off the bat, and that includes a freshly rebuilt distributor.
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

I rebuilt the ignition and dist about 9 years ago and only drove it maybe 500 miles before I moved to S. America. Plug wires are essentially brand new too.

Yes the driver's side doesn't pop as consistently as the passenger. I have some ideas about that but I'm looking for anything you guys might hear that I don't because I'm not a formally trained mechanic... I'm a Clinical Engineer... LOL
1966 Corsa Coupe
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Being new to Corvairs myself I am wondering why the valves needed adjustment? Does that not indicate a collapsed lifter?

Thanks
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

Valve adjustment probably because I never did it right the first time. I rebuilt the engine in this car about 10 years ago... followed the advice of an old Vair buddy and "How to Hotrod Corvairs" book. I did everything myself at home...

By everything I mean I tore it down to the bare block but never pulled the block apart to remove the crank and cam. I had the heads rebuilt by a local hot-rodding shop that at the time was THE "SOURCE" for Corvair enthusiasts because one of the machinist/mechanics was very skilled and knowledgeable with aluminum.

As far as the lifters I replaced those post-construction as it didn't cross my mind whilst I had it apart and easy to deal with.... so I got to do that through the oil pan lying while I laid under the car... in January... in 7 feet of snow... :) uphill both ways... bla bla bla
1966 Corsa Coupe
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

cad-kid wrote:Being new to Corvairs myself I am wondering why the valves needed adjustment? Does that not indicate a collapsed lifter?

Thanks
No, the adjusting nuts will back off even though they're a self-locking type. Last time I adjusted my valves I was almost shocked at how easily some of the nuts turned in and out. As a matter of fact, I bought a bag of new nuts just for that reason for my turbo motor.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Thanks for the explanation :ty: I didn't know that the nuts could backoff (makes sense).

Changing those lifters under a car in the winter sounds fun - NOT!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

UNSAFE wrote:
#1 Engine off - pull all plugs wires off the plugs one at a time and then put them back on but do not fully seat them or snap the boot back on.

#2 with engine running - carefully pull one plug wire off the plug slightly and note rpm drop or just use your ear to note how much the engine speed drops. Replace wire and do the same thing on the next plug and so on until you have checked all six cylinders.
Done. Here's the result in video. Also it fouled all of the plugs on that side and they smelled like gas when I pulled them out hot. The passenger head looked less fouled and didn't smell like gas.

A resistance check on the plug wires is in order but from an initial check on cylinder #1 wire and #2 wire... it's about 3x greater resistance through to #2 than #1... while I know that one is shorter than the other... they really aren't long enough to be 3x greater... :dontknow:

I made one behind the car too but couldn't hear much so I figured I'd use the tach inside for better reference.... on #4 I bumped the throttle rod and it jumped it up a bit...

1966 Corsa Coupe

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”