4 carb Roger Parent linkage.

All Models and Years
bghandyman

4 carb Roger Parent linkage.

Post by bghandyman »

Hey Gang. Wanting to invest in the Roger Parent linkage for my '69 Monza 140/4. I've heard it's a great set up, and to go with the '65 version and get rid of those choke lock outs. Any opinions good, or bad??? Excited to get all he slop out of the original linkage, and to have more precise throttle response. Thanks :ty:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 4 carb Roger Parent linkage.

Post by bbodie52 »

For reference I have attached a copy of Roger Parent's illustrated catalog...
Roger Parent Catalog 02-05-18.pdf
Roger Parent Catalog (02-05-18)
(3.54 MiB) Downloaded 534 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Hmmm - Note that in 69 the "lock out" factory secondary linkage was supposedly improved. That said the "lock out" linkage is complicated and relies on the primary choke linkage to work. This tends to cause the primary chokes to stay on longer than necessary in my experience.

I've been told that Rogers secondary lock out linkage works well. I had a 66 140HP and the linkage on the top of the carburetors WON'T ALLOW Rogers 65 style linkage to work due to clearance issues. Not sure about the 69 linkage. So you have to modify the parts on the carburetor primary and secondary tops (or change them to 65 style) to allow the simpler Roger Parent NON lock out 65 style linkage to work.

BTW - Roger Parents linkage works and looks great, but READ the instructions FIRST. A LOT OF ADJUSTMENTS are required.

Note the 1969 secondaries had a fixed idle circuit but NO provision for an accelerator pump. So ---- if you eliminate the secondary lock out DO NOT go wide open throttle (open the secondaries) until the engine is warmed up or the engine may stall (the reason for the lock out linkage when the primary chokes are on).
bghandyman

Post by bghandyman »

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess ill.just go.with the correct year linkage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

Is Roger Patent still around? I’ve gone to his website and I couldn’t find out how to contact him. I want to buy a linkage from him.
I’d like a plated linkage if there is someone else you know let me know please.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

here is his info viewtopic.php?t=15370
Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

Ok, I’ve ordered a roger patient linkage system. What is the recondition of dealing with the lock out choke thing. Do I want it? As I think I’ve the roger patient linkage will correct the issue with the lockout system. My car is a 65 corsa 140 will I have to modify anything on it when I installed it?
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

No reason to have the lockout. It's for people that aren't smart enough to refrain from hold it wide open before the engine is warm.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Hopefully you did not order the Parent lockout linkage set as it will not work with 65 non lock out carbs. I much prefer the simplicity of the noin lock out 65 system.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

terribleted wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:55 pm Hopefully you did not order the Parent lockout linkage set as it will not work with 65 non lock out carbs. I much prefer the simplicity of the noin lock out 65 system.
I've never installed the Roger Parent late 65 to 69 "lockout linkage". I like the look and simpler operation of the early 65 style, BUT I've read that some folks who used the Roger Parent late 65 to 69 "lockout linkage" are happy with it. The chokes MUST work. If you chokes are not working due to a failed thermal coil on the head, or bent and missing linkage - then that must be made functional. Of course the carburetor tops have to have the "lock out" parts to work with the linkage. Note the "lock out" secondaries had a rod in the top like a choke shaft, but no choke plate. some remove that shaft and plug the holes. The primary carburetor choke shaft had an additional lever on the side facing the secondary. You can modify things to remove the lock out linkage on the carburetors. It's your call.

I worked with Roger to change a few things to get his early 65 linkage to work with my 66 lockout carburetors, BUT I disabled the lockout linkage on the carburetors. So the parts are just there for looks.

Note the early 65 carburetors without the lockout linkage are easier to install on the engine.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”