Corvair diet food

Anything Corvair related
BEACHHOUSEGURU

Corvair diet food

Post by BEACHHOUSEGURU »

ImageHi
Just a tidbit that has probably said before but I'm relatively new (again after 50 years). I plan to slowly try to put my car (66 convertable) on a small diet to reduce the weight as much as possible. I plan to stiffen it a bit so at a minimum not let it get too fat.
I found a Porsche scissors jack and crank (I think 944)- aluminum and weighs less than 3.8 lbs. Not a big diet but every little bit helps.
Attachments
Aluminum scissors jack
Aluminum scissors jack
Beach House Guru
1966 Monza Vert (Blue)
joelsplace

Re: Corvair diet food

Post by joelsplace »

I love it!
You may be able to find an aluminum space saver spare also. For a bunch of cash a lithium ion battery is light.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Swngaxl

Post by Swngaxl »

A club member some years ago attempted the minimal weight deal on an Ultravan. He found ways to reduce weight I never would have thought of! I might can find some pics if you're interested.
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
Swngaxl

Post by Swngaxl »

Well, I tried, but no luck finding the pics. Will have to dig deeper. But as a weight reduction experiment, I can honestly say it was impressive!
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Was that the guy that used the plastic interior panels? Not sure what you call it but it's like cardboard but made of plastic. Very light.
Northlake, TX
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've seen guys use lawn tractor batteries. Cheaper and lighter than a regular car battery and they claim they have enough power to work fine in a Corvair. Excellent spot to remove weight also.
The gear reduction replacement starters supposedly save about 10lbs also.
I took the cocktail shakers out of my '65 convertible with no problems. Those things are really heavy.
Northlake, TX
Swngaxl

Post by Swngaxl »

joelsplace wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:28 pm Was that the guy that used the plastic interior panels? Not sure what you call it but it's like cardboard but made of plastic. Very light.
Believe so, that stuff was like corrugated plastic panels. You're right, very light! Wish i could find the pic of the dash, that was amazing. He removed the dash panel. Used a speedometer off a bicycle. On the steering column, he removed the bracket that stabilized the column and bolted under the edge of the dash so the column was only supported where it came through the floor. The Ultravan had an FC steering wheel, the kind with two spokes. He cut one of those out, had a steering wheel with only one spoke. Amazing the lengths he went to so he could get the weight down!
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I wonder how light he got it?
Northlake, TX
Swngaxl

Post by Swngaxl »

joelsplace wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:01 am I wonder how light he got it?
2600 pounds, 15-20 mpg. Finally found a pic of the van, must have lost the ones showing inside. Most of this thing was modified, very little original left to save weight. He drove this thing all over the country!
Helen April 2007 007.jpg
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Interesting. A lot of people claim 18 with normal Ultravans. I guess with that much drag weight doesn't make as much difference.
Northlake, TX

Return to “Corvair Talk”