Crown V8 question.

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
scooper

Crown V8 question.

Post by scooper »

I've been wanting to build a mid engine Corvair for a long time. This weekend I got to drive one, that was a mistake, now I have to have one. They look pretty simple, at least the framework, I think I can fab that up fairly easily. Looks like the challenging part would be adapting to the stock 4 speed trans, probably next to impossible to find the Crown adapters anymore. I want to do it the way Crown did it years ago, the car I drove was a Crown conversion. Any ideas where I might find those pieces? Or drawings that I could use to fab them? Thanks...
66vairguy

Re: Crown V8 question.

Post by 66vairguy »

I've ridden in Chuck Rust's Crown V8. They are addicting. He has one of the nicest sorted Crowns around.

Nothing simple about them except the concept. To make the transaxle reliable a number of precision operations need to be done. Even then the torque from a 350 SBC can break the transaxle if you drop the clutch fast. Sadly most are going to newer transaxles and bigger engines so a "real" Crown V8 will probably become scarce in the future. A good setup is to use a HI-PO 283 or 302 Z SBC, big car Saginaw input shaft, four spider differential, and a few other mods and don't do any "burn outs".

Check out their site - http://www.v8registry.com/

If you really want a Crown V8, then you can find some rough and "never got it done" cars around. Expect to sink a lot of $$$$ to get one done correctly. If you don't have good mechanical skills then you must rely on experts = $$$$$$$

Best to get with it, a lot of the Crown V8 experts are not getting any younger.

If you want a mid engine go fast Corvair there are other options like using a Porsche transaxle.

Good luck.
scooper

Post by scooper »

I'm a pretty good fabricator, I feel confident I can reverse engineer the Crown kit, if I had some info on one. I've built a couple street rods, other odd stuff, ( look up "Cubzilla" on YouTube, look around my channel), anyway, I know I could use a rear from a Vette, or something similar, but I want to do a Crown conversion first. Beefing the diff is no problem, my plans are to use my 302 DZ engine that is in my garage collecting dust, won't be doing burnouts. I wish I could find a crown kit that somebody lost interest in, or a complete car, gotta be something out there, finding it will be the challenge.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

What area of the country are you in?

A couple came up for sale last year at http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/list.php?1

Go there and ask.
dmpmachine

Post by dmpmachine »

hi,
I have the transaxle input/shaft/bearing and trans mount pieces , do not have the cradle, i haven't looked at that stuff in a long time, but might have the shift rod

pm or call me
jeff ballard
805-320-9032
camarillo CA
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

scooper

Post by scooper »

Yup, nice car, I drove it last Saturday, I'm watching the auction, might jump in, we'll see.
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

Back in 2012 I sold my NOS Crown Kit that had essentially everything. I kind of wish I hadn't but the reality is that I won't ever build one but might buy another running car if the timing were to work out.

With that said, I think Clark's has ONE Crown Sub Frame left to sell. Unfortunately I think they sold the last of their other parts a couple of years ago.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

You might be interested in this project.
Jeff

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/19 ... 01474.html
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
scooper

Post by scooper »

I found one, only 2 problems: it is in Texas, ( I'm in NY), and it has a bad clutch. I'm in the process of fixing #1, flew out , rented a truck and trailer, almost home, and clutch will be addressed when I rest up from #1, that is a long way to trailer a car. It will be worth it, rust free car, 302 sbc, complete Crown conversation, has some nice Arch Evans pieces on it: lexan back window, roll cage, front inner fender louvers. Can't wait to get started on it. I'll post pics when I get home.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Hi I have a crown V8 kit that I have had for 30 years I may not ever use maybe we can make a deal I am in NY also
I have most of parts if you want to come check then out
Martys65corsa

Post by Martys65corsa »

Hey Tracker do you still have your crown v8 parts for sale?

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”