64 rear wheel bearing

All Models and Years
corvair500

64 rear wheel bearing

Post by corvair500 »

I know that the early car wheel bearings can be repacked (61-62) but the 63-64 style are different . Can these be repacked ? I find many places show how to repack the 61-62 , but nothing on the 63-64
64powerglide

Re: 64 rear wheel bearing

Post by 64powerglide »

You need to take them apart & check for pitted rollers & scored races. If you get that far new bearings are the best way to go. They are not cheap but will last another 50 years.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I believe you will find that there are only very minor manufacturing and production variations in the rear axle bearings of Corvairs from 1960 to 1964. The big change came in 1965 when the swing axle rear suspension was abandoned and replaced with a design that was copied from the Corvette Stingray of that time. The videos posted below shows an approach for repacking the grease in the bearing assemblies instead of replacing the bearings. If the bearings are in fair condition but just a little dry from never having been serviced you may be able to get away with simply repacking the grease and inspecting the bearings prior to reassembling the swing axle suspension. If your inspection shows both bearings that are badly worn you may opt replace the bearing assemblies rather than try to repack them. Replacing the axle bearing assemblies properly is a major operation for a machine shop and you may want to consider using Clark's Corvair Parts to do the work for you. While you have it apart you should also take the time to inspect and repack or replace the universal joints, which also tend to be neglected on the Corvair. If you replace the universal joints be sure to use the type that has a grease fitting installed.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Clark's Corvair Parts says that early model rear axle bearings can be the most dangerous part of the car. While I've never had an EM rear axle bearing fail on a long journey, I can think of several Corvair Forum members who have had them fail and even break an axle in one instance. I have had rear axle bearing failures in two 1965 Corvairs — one during a cross-country trip from California to new Jersey (it failed in Cheyenne, Wyoming) and the other failed in Germany. In any case, you might want to spend some time inspecting/replacing the universal joints and inspecting/lubricating the rear axle bearings, as described in these two videos...

Badly worn universal joints can produce a clunking sound — especially in turns — as the cross shifts within the needle bearing cup. That sound may telegraph and the sound source maybe difficult to identify. Universal joints often are neglected — especially if they don't have grease fittings to allow them to be lubricated regularly. I recommend you inspect yours.

EM/Rampside/Van Rear Wheel Bearing Grease Packing
The applicable section starts on page 165 of the Clark's Corvair Parts catalog...
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=165

:chevy:
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 33 times
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle.pdf
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle
(674.03 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle
(661.15 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

The 63-64 bearings are nothing like the ones in the video The whole axle has to come out then you have to remove a large snap ring to get to the bearings. I had to find a place with a 40 ton press to get the bearing off, a 20 ton press didn't do it. Once you get into it you'll see what I mean.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

1963-64 have a cast housing instead of stamped steel, as described on the Clark's page below. Parts and labor not cheap, but necessary when it fails...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=166
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
RoaringRiverRanger

Post by RoaringRiverRanger »

Rear passenger side noise brought me here....Can the 63 car rear bearings be repacked as in Daves video?
Steve
Cassville, MO
1965 Corsa Coupe
1963 Greenbrier
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If it still has the original style cast iron bearing housing it is more difficult.
If it is making noise it is too late.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”