LM brake problem

Need to know how? Want to show how?
JohnnyBoomBoom

LM brake problem

Post by JohnnyBoomBoom »

65 Corsa - Recently had a non Corvair mechanic rebuild front passenger side wheel cylinder that was leaking with a Clark’s kit and replace front shoes. Afterwards car still pulled to the left occasionally and continued to lose brake fluid. Ordered Clark’s replacement complete wheel cylinders, hoses assoc parts for a rebuild. Before work was done drove around block to check condition and front right side brake locked up. Made it back to my driveway, barely. So what can I do now ? Can I get brakes freed up so I can take to a Corvair guy in our local club ( 5 mile drive ) to get the brake work done properly. Kinda bummed out was going to a show Saturday and driving in a local Halloween parade Sunday. Oh well !

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
joelsplace

Re: LM brake problem

Post by joelsplace »

Hard to say. It depends on why it locked up. Brake hoses can fail and cause a wheel to lock up. You can loosen the hose and see if it frees up the wheel. This question is in the wrong area or I would have seen it several days ago.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
JohnnyBoomBoom

Post by JohnnyBoomBoom »

joelsplace wrote:Hard to say. It depends on why it locked up. Brake hoses can fail and cause a wheel to lock up. You can loosen the hose and see if it frees up the wheel. This question is in the wrong area or I would have seen it several days ago.

I took the car (on a flatbed) to a real Corvair mechanic. All my brakes on this recent purchase were bad in one way or another. Bad clogged hoses leaking wheel cylinders plus whatever else was supposed to be a moving part but wasn’t ! He replaced all the hoses and cylinders adjusted everything including brake light switch. Everything new and fresh brakewise. Feeling good and safe now. Oh and the first mechanic had the front shoes on backwards ! Sticking with the real guy from here on.

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
corvair500

Post by corvair500 »

I suggest dot 5 brake fluid instead of dot 3 . Dot 5 is silicone based and does not absorb moisture , Dot 3 will eventually rust your brake lines from the inside . Drain your fluid , put in dot 5 , run a day or two and drain again , fill up with dot 5 and bleed . More expensive but well worth it .
Several years ago , on my 62 daily driver , I had trouble with emergency brakes , changed the brake cable to repair that and then , that same day was driving home from work and hit the brakes .... they went all the way to floor , so had to use emergency brakes to get home . A line had ruptured . Got the new line and changed to dot 5 fluid . Had no more ruptures .
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

corvair500 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:27 am I suggest dot 5 brake fluid instead of dot 3 . Dot 5 is silicone based and does not absorb moisture , Dot 3 will eventually rust your brake lines from the inside . Drain your fluid , put in dot 5 , run a day or two and drain again , fill up with dot 5 and bleed . More expensive but well worth it .
Several years ago , on my 62 daily driver , I had trouble with emergency brakes , changed the brake cable to repair that and then , that same day was driving home from work and hit the brakes .... they went all the way to floor , so had to use emergency brakes to get home . A line had ruptured . Got the new line and changed to dot 5 fluid . Had no more ruptures .
Yes old brake lines rust out. Usually because the brake fluid was never changed. It has to be changed about ever four years with a sealed system (rubber bladder in the MC cap). DOT 3 will absorb moisture, but it will hold it in suspension until it becomes saturated which takes awhile in a sealed system. As for silicon DOT 5, those that use it for racing change it yearly so it is NOT a fill it and forget it cure. Yeah I know, changing brake fluid is no fun, but it pays off.

Modern cars DO NOT use silicone brake fluid (won't work with ABS) and you don't hear about brake lines rusting. It's basically a problem with older cars that haven't had the brake system serviced periodically.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

66vairguy wrote:Modern cars DO NOT use silicone brake fluid (won't work with ABS) and you don't hear about brake lines rusting. It's basically a problem with older cars that haven't had the brake system serviced periodically.
FYI...

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 (with ABS) truck that had to have the entire brake line system replaced due to rusted-out brake lines. I had only owned the truck for a few years, since purchasing it used (mileage 43,850) from a Pennsylvania Chevrolet dealer in August 2009. A steel brake line in the engine compartment — mounted on top of the frame near the power steering pump — ruptured in my driveway as I pressed the brake pedal to shift into DRIVE. The first I knew of a problem was when my brake pedal went to the floor. It is a very complex set of brake line plumbing — particularly where it all connects to the ABS system. It cost me hundreds of dollars to replace the decaying brake plumbing, and while researching this issue on the Internet I discovered that it as a common complaint on GMC and Chevrolet trucks.

WXYZ-TV Detroit | Channel 7
Published on Oct 4, 2013

Working to solve rusty brake lines in some GM trucks
:link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxt168kWXn0

There are about 20 frustrated comments on YouTube following this video, and many more articles and videos on this subject seen in my Google search.

:google: :search: :link: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C2CH ... 5FrWK3K2uQ

I even filed a complaint with the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board), but it led nowhere. GM never proposed any recall or fix that I know of. Never experienced such a problem in my aging Corvairs, on my older Ford Explorer, etc. Just a GMC/Chevy truck problem, I guess...

:sad5: :banghead: :chevy:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

You'll find lots of opinions about DOT 5 fluid. Myself, I used it in a completely rebuilt system in my 65 Corsa back in 1982. When I sold it in 1996 it still had the same clear light purple color to the fluid and all I ever did all those years was check the level in the MC. I run DOT 5 in several other Corvairs and don't worry about it one bit. I now live in a very dry area so I have little to worry about but even in Indiana, I saw no reason for concern unless you install it in a contaminated system.

As for line rust, I've seen lots of failures due to rust from the outside in (road salt) but never had one that rusted from the inside out. Regular fluid changes are important for DOT 3 but not for DOT 5 IMHO.

I also use Nickel/Copper brake lines for any replacement work. Takes the corrosion fears down about 5 notches and it's much easier to form flares and bends.

While were at it, I also only use a single MC in all my Corvairs. I'll take a well-maintained single MC over a neglected dual MC anytime.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”