OPGI Quick Steering arms

Anything Corvair related
65Ragtop

OPGI Quick Steering arms

Post by 65Ragtop »

Anyone have any knowledge of or comments on the Quick Steering Arms offered by OPGI? They seem to imply that they are Factory Repops....

https://www.opgi.com/corvair/1965/chass ... s/CV10894/
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
terribleted

Re: OPGI Quick Steering arms

Post by terribleted »

Hmm they look just like the pictures that Clark's has of the quick arms they sell. Clarks lists different part numbers for early or late model. OPG states that these are repro for late models in the small print in their ad. Do they really fit early models? Clark's prices are $93-95. OPG loses again IMO.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

I agree that it will be a big "yawn" if they are the same as Clarks as Clarks is my first choice most of the time anyway. I've gathered plenty of aftermarket short arms over the years so no real excitement there. I hope that if someone decides to gamble and buy a pair that they will set us all straight on what they actually get. A good set of medium GM QS Repro arms might be interesting and Clarks does not handle anything like that at this time.
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

65Ragtop wrote:I agree that it will be a big "yawn" if they are the same as Clarks as Clarks is my first choice most of the time anyway. I've gathered plenty of aftermarket short arms over the years so no real excitement there. I hope that if someone decides to gamble and buy a pair that they will set us all straight on what they actually get. A good set of medium GM QS Repro arms might be interesting and Clarks does not handle anything like that at this time.
My only grumble with Clark’s is the exorbitant amount they charge for shipping. My last shipment was about 2lbs max and a small box and cost $30. It said 15lbs on it which it was not. When i asked them they said they go by size yet this box was maybe 15x15 at the largest.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

UPS, FedEx and the Post Office charge a lot for moving a small box, and not that much more for a larger box. I don't know if Clark's adds much for packaging and handling charges, or if they simply pass-on the fees they pay to the shipper.

Generally you can save a fair amount of money by consolidating all of the items you need into a single larger order, instead of making numerous small orders. If you think shipping costs are high in the USA, you would be shocked at what the poor Corvair owners in Canada and in Europe, Japan, South Africa, etc. must pay!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

I also try to wait until I have a larger order before I place it to help with the shipping costs. They do seem a bit high, i have to admit. But to keep things in perspective, I shipped a gift to a friend who lives in a semi rural area and the cost was almost stupid high. Location matters. local Infrastructure matters, Economy of scale matters. I think Clark's does the best they can with what they have to work with. Their customer service makes up for any shipping cost issues I may have. So long as they keep up the good service, I'm in. :tu:
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

I shall continue to use Clarke's as their customer service is excellent and they have always had what I needed in stock.

But yes, shipping is expensive and when you live in the UK it's eye-watering as we also have to pay her majesty's customs a hefty whack too. Maybe Brexit will open trading with the US and it will become cheaper. At the moment I pay double postage, first to my friend in Vermont, then his postage to me in the UK, because he can send it as a 'gift' with nominal value and the double postage is still cheaper than paying customs.
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

bbodie52 wrote:UPS, FedEx and the Post Office charge a lot for moving a small box, and not that much more for a larger box. I don't know if Clark's adds much for packaging and handling charges, or if they simply pass-on the fees they pay to the shipper.

Generally you can save a fair amount of money by consolidating all of the items you need into a single larger order, instead of making numerous small orders. If you think shipping costs are high in the USA, you would be shocked at what the poor Corvair owners in Canada and in Europe, Japan, South Africa, etc. must pay!
Luckily I’m not in any of those countries!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
caroseiii

Post by caroseiii »

Local club member says these are Clark's IECO style arms with the Clark's part number cast on the arms. He is not happy about it and I will report after he tells me what they defend about the misleading nature of the advertising.

CA Rose

Return to “Corvair Talk”