Followed me home

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
scooper

Followed me home

Post by scooper »

I've been looking for a Car to use for a Crown conversion, and a kit. We'll I found a nice car that is 90% built. I was told the car was started back in 72, the original owner lost interest, the car sat till 2001 when it was sold to the guy I bought it from. He has been working on the car on and off since then, pretty much completed it, has been driven, but the clutch was never sorted out. A couple years ago, due to other projects, he put the car on the back burner, pushed it into the back corner of his shop. Nice rust free Texas car, original paint, faded, chipped a little, wore down to the primer on some of the edges, underneath of car is spotless. Complete Crown kit installed, trans and diff we're built with the right stuff, engine is a fresh, mildly built, 302 sbc. I'm not sure what the issue is with the clutch yet, it won't disengage, I see the arm moving, not sure what is wrong. Hoping it will just be an adjustment. I'll keep you all posted as to what I find.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Followed me home

Post by bbodie52 »

I had an instance where a car that was sitting for a long time literally bonded (glued) the clutch disc to the flywheel. Even though the throw out bearing was properly disengaging the spring pressure from the pressure plate, the clutch disc stubbornly remained stuck to the flywheel. It might break loose if you leave it in gear, depress the clutch pedal, and then engage the starter. (The transmission/differential will hold the clutch disc stationary, while the starter will engage the flywheel ring gear and attempt to rotate the engine. This will put a lot of stress on the starter mechanism, though!)
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
scooper

Post by scooper »

The car orgunally was put together with a hydraulic throw out bearing. That was problematic, so it was converted over to a steel scattershield bell housing and a conventional clutch release arm with an external hydraulic slave cylinder to push it. I think what is wrong is the pivot ball the arm sits in inside the bell is not adjusted far enough out, the arm doesn't move far enough to disengage the clutch, or it has the wrong throw out bearing. I have to get it on the lift, decide if it is easier to drop the transaxle or pull the engine to fix it.
scooper

Post by scooper »

I can't get pictures to load....what is the secret?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Use POST REPLY, not QUICK REPLY for the full editor that permits file and picture uploads via the ATTACHMENTS tab and ADD FILES at the bottom of the editor.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”