Toro Corvair Project Thread azdave

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Toro Corvair Project Thread azdave

Post by azdave »

UGLYTRUK wrote:I just the read all 4 pages, sounds like fun!
Fun it is!

Lately, I'm being distracted a little too much by house projects and other Vairs calling my name. I'll have the white V8 at the Cactus Corvair annual show this Saturday in Chandler AZ. http://www.cactuscorvairclub.com/6th-an ... -2014.html

I did get new vanity plates for it earlier this year. Some Oldsmobile owner in Arizona let this plate reservation lapse and now I have it on my Toro Corvair.

I recently trailered home another LM with a Toro conversion. This one has a bad tranny to fix.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
DAN POLITTE

Post by DAN POLITTE »

Are the Chevy V8 and Toronado bellhousing bolts the same pattern

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

DAN POLITTE wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:18 pm Are the Chevy V8 and Toronado bellhousing bolts the same pattern
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... g_patterns
"Four bolt holes and two locator pins are common to the Chevrolet, and B-O-P patterns. Some transmissions, most notably the TH200-4R, take advantage of this by integrating both specifications into a "universal" bolt pattern casting."
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
DAN POLITTE

Post by DAN POLITTE »

Is there an adapter available? I REALLY like the idea of more interior room instead of a Crown kit. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Start with Kennedy Engineering to look for adapters but it won't be easy even if they have one that appears to work. Too much has changed in the engine layout and design in all that time. How will you pass the right axle under the engine through the notch in the oil pan like the Olds and Cadillacs of that era?

I really can't advise further because I have not done it and honestly would not want to. Mating a modern engine like the LS to a 52-year old TH425 tranny with no overdrive and poor gear choices is not the direction I would go with a new project.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
JoshHefnerX

Post by JoshHefnerX »

Hey Dave, have had a project Corvair sitting here for a few years now and have been thinking of mid-mounted radiator - don't like the idea of cutting up the front end. Was thinking about your cooling issues.

Seems something is causing a higher pressure in the back of the radiator and stagnating the air - if it were reverting you'd still have airflow and some cooling. It would either be the cove panel acting like a scoop or the back cowl area adding pressure... or both, I remember reading someone had done some testing on that cowl many years ago but don't remember the results offhand, old brain.

I remember reading an article a few weeks ago, that of course I cant find now but it was talking about using the negative pressure from a venturi tunnel/rear diffuser to evacuate air from exhaust systems and cooling systems similar to the way a header pulls negative pressure in the exhaust collector.

It mentioned that using the rear most area of the diffuser lip as the most efficient place to exhaust air as it would disturb the airflow the least inside the tunnel.

The panel under the bumper in the back where the old heat flaps go could be removed and would be a good place to integrate a venturi tunnel.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw ... 4176324490

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw ... 4176324490
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Josh, I tried the mid mounted radiator on my SBC /Toro conversion. I thought the air pressure under the car trying to go up would find it's way to the radiator...……………..maybe at 150 MPH but not at normal driving speed. I just finished changing mine over to a front radiator and I am so glad I did. Last time I was out in the car ( Yeah, the time I broke it :tu: ) I could not get the temp over 160 degrees even at highway speeds. I was told by Dave that it wouldn't work that well and of course, I was too smart to listen to the guys who have done this before. You are hereby invited to try it your way and find out Dave was right.
As far as the adaptor for small block to toro transaxle, you can buy them anywhere. Both Jegs and Summit sell the BOP trans adaptor...….works like a champ.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Odd coincidence when Josh posted to this old thread. I was tinkering with the airflow to my mid-mounted radiator just last weekend. I don't usually take the car out when it's 110 outside but a buddy was doing a disc brake conversion and needed my help. I thought it would be helpful to have my V8 with disc brakes at his place so I drove it to see him.

Changes I made were to add a splitter plate instead of a scoop under the car and also work with further sealing the airflow around the radiator as best I could. Those few changes helped more than I expected. In city driving (stop and go 50 mph max) I never got over 190. On a 70 mph freeway run I was staying under 220. A long 65-70 mph run usually could not be done in the summer without the gauge reading higher than I was willing to let it go.

It's still not as good as a front mount radiator but I don't want to cut open the front of the car nor do I want to spend the time doing that. I still drive the car to all of the local events that I care to and even if I had a front mount radiator, I would not drive it on the freeway to out of state events.

Even though it runs hotter than I would like, it still has never puked antifreeze. I've been enjoying this V8 for 7 years now with not much more than oil changes and tinkering here or there so I'm happy with that.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
JoshHefnerX

Post by JoshHefnerX »

Hrm, I read through your thread - which is part of why I decided to post up with you and Dave working this out.

I don't believe it's impossible to get the mid-mounted rads to work. It just takes more thought to airflow. Mfg's have been putting them other places for a while now. Just gotta noodle it over for a while. These are 'projects' lol.

Dave, glad to see that your refinements have netted some results. May not be as good as front mount, but there was still some improvement to be had. Sounds pretty close. Does driving during cooler weather allow for 'normal' fwy driving or does it still heat up?
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

JoshHefnerX wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:51 amDoes driving during cooler weather allow for 'normal' fwy driving or does it still heat up?
Winter weather here in Phoenix is not usually below 70 degrees during the afternoons but yes, I can drive with little concern about overheating in cooler weather. I feel like I am right on the brink of sufficient cooling and with other Corvairs that I'd rather play with it's not been a huge concern. I could already make it to all the popular cruise-n spots in the valley and this little extra cooling gives me some wiggle room on how quickly I arrive. ::-):
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
JoshHefnerX

Post by JoshHefnerX »

Next show you go to, let me know. I'd like to take another look at one. Been many years since I'd been in the CCC and seen any toro vairs.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

JoshHefnerX wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:21 pm Next show you go to, let me know. I'd like to take another look at one. Been many years since I'd been in the CCC and seen any toro vairs.
I'm supposed to join my friend at a Cars-n-Coffee gathering this weekend in Chandler but I see two different events that same morning about 4 miles apart. I have to find out which one he is planning to be at and will post back if I am going.

I have one other Toro Vair at home that used to belong to a past club member. If you used to be in the club you might remember a bright red LM coupe with a 455 Toro setup. I also had a third Toro Vair until recently. I sold it to a local guy who has it at his mechanic's place for a complete restoration. That one was a rootbeer colored Corsa 180 converted to a 455. It was from Fountain Hills.

There are at least two more around here that I have seen running in the last 5 years but I've only seen each of them once. I don't know why they don't have them on the road more often. They both seemed better sorted out than mine and certainly looked better in fit and finish. One was on Craigslist for a few years ago somewhere in the East Valley.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

JoshHefnerX wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:21 pm Next show you go to, let me know. I'd like to take another look at one. Been many years since I'd been in the CCC and seen any toro vairs.
Unless it is raining (really doubtful) I'll be at the Kind Bean this Saturday morning between about 7-8 am. I won't stay long as that time of day on Saturday is prime time to be doing things outside at home before it gets too hot. My friend will be there with his beautiful 65 Corsa vert as well.

I've never been to a cars-n-coffee at this location but it is supposed to be an every 3rd Saturday event.

http://thekindbean.com/wp/
1020 E Pecos Rd #7, Chandler, AZ 85225
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
JoshHefnerX

Post by JoshHefnerX »

Thanks Dave, I'll have to see if I can get up that early, to be across the valley at that time. I'm near the Cardinals stadium..
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

JoshHefnerX wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:05 pm Thanks Dave, I'll have to see if I can get up that early, to be across the valley at that time. I'm near the Cardinals stadium..
Understand some people sleep in on Saturdays. I'm usually up by 5 on weekends. :)

We'll be scheduling more gatherings soon for sure. We have a very small FB group for local Corvair gatherings if you want to request to join. Very low posting activity and a closed group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1522617288039006/
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
JJK

Post by JJK »

HRM and AZDAVE--Do either of y'all think this arrangement has a prayer (not mine; one on craigslist):

download/file.php?mode=view&id=46434
Attachments
corvair radiator.jpg

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”