turbo noise

All Models and Years
joust1

turbo noise

Post by joust1 »

Can a turbo squeal at a idle? I have a squeal not sure where it is coming from . Sounds like maybe turbo. ALL ideas welcome.

mike
63 spyder
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: turbo noise

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: In the process of elimination, you might try temporarily removing the fan belt and then running the engine briefly to see of the squealing sound goes away. If it does you can then investigate further to check the fan bearing, idler bearing, and generator to detect the source so that it can be corrected. A mechanic's stethoscope is often helpful at detecting the source of an engine compartment noise.

:link: https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4491-Mechani ... B000F5HUOY Price: $23.75

:link: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Mech ... B0002SQYSM Price: $14.27
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joust1

Post by joust1 »

Thank you i will try that .I have replaced all but fan bearing and turbo. Problem It's not a consent noise.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Does it make boost? If yes, then I can't imagine it's the turbo. The fan bearings can make some strange noises and be intermittent.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
joust1

Post by joust1 »

Yes spools up nice.Yesterday no noise today on way to work noise.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

If it were the turbo you would know. Only thing that can make a noise like that is the compressor making contact with its housing, which would mean the bearing is shot, which usually winds up causing a massive oil leak before you ever hear the noise. So unless you see a smoke screen at your tailpipe or boost stops happening, it’s not the turbo.

When I rebuilt my 180, it squeaked real bad on acceleration. Did some research, turned out the heads needed retorquing- it was a compression leak.
Click it!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”