1965 Monza Convertible 140 suspension/steering

All Models and Years
CorvairCon65

Re: 1965 Monza Convertible 140 suspension/steering

Post by CorvairCon65 »

terribleted wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:16 pm Odd I have never hammered any recess into any new tank and I have done a number with no issue. The straps and bolts Clark's supplies are not that great (but will work (seems like I had to thread J-bolts a little farther than supplied for them to get tight when using repro straps and bolts) and I will use originals if they are in good shape.
OK, will try to post photos here from when I last did the job TT.

You'll see when you look at the old tank that the flange running horizontally around the tank turns up through 90 degrees. I only sussed this when I couldn't get the tank to sit properly in its recess. That's when I did what I should have done in the first place and compared the old tank with the replacement. When I did that's when I noticed the flange. Just adding that flange to the new tank with the pliers was sufficient to get the new tank to fit.

With regards to the retaining strap, it's not even pre-formed so easier to use the original if it's in good nick.
Look at flange at left side of tank, see how it's preformed..
Look at flange at left side of tank, see how it's preformed..
...which isn't preformed on new tank.
...which isn't preformed on new tank.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

When I click on the photos to make them larger they rotate 90 degrees so it's confusing which flange is being discussed in your descriptions.

If the tank were installed, is it the flange along the top, the bottom, the driver's side or passenger side?
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
toytron

Post by toytron »

azdave wrote:When I click on the photos to make them larger they rotate 90 degrees so it's confusing which flange is being discussed in your descriptions.

If the tank were installed, is it the flange along the top, the bottom, the driver's side or passenger side?
It looks as if the side (corner if you will) where it sending unit goes into is different on the new compared to the old.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I also gained not much from the above photos. Like I said above I have never really done much to the tanks I get from Clark's besides install them. Seems like I might remember bending one of the bent corners a little more one time to help it go up in the hole easier?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

Look at the tank where the small pipe exits and you'll see that the metal flange has been bent upwards, turned through 90 degrees. When installing the tank this will be rear-most, towards the cabin.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Ok so your are talking about the right 1/2 of the bottom flange. I just do not understand why this was necessary on your car. I have never had any interference it that area. It does look more like the stock tank so perhaps for cosmetic reasons only one might want to do this?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

That's it TT. Yes, it wouldn't physically fit in the hole until that flange was bent upwards.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Odd I have never had that issue.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”