VAGABOND RAMPSIDE STEERING

All Models and Years
Vairamp

VAGABOND RAMPSIDE STEERING

Post by Vairamp »

My ‘62 Rampside wants to go where I’d rather it didn’t. I was assured by the mechanic that all was well. I said it wasn’t and the boomerang was replaced.

When I finally drove it myself again it squeaked like my bones in the morning. I checked and all the steering fittings were dry as the desert and tight. Tightness as a byproduct of rust, I hope not! A few pumps and the noise was gone!

Upon further archaeological work, I found my bushings looked like they were pre Noah’s Flood! The steering has about 3 inches of play before anything moves. Further excavating found that when the steering engages a spot welded plate moves! The plate is attached to the steering box and spot welded to, I believe, the toe board(?).

I’m considering replacing all the bushings with Clark’s urethane Delrin(?). That should tighten up everything. Maybe replace the front springs, since all is apart?

I did the rear springs in original spring rate, before there was a great forum like this. Of course I have the toe adjustment issue.

Welding that plate would be next.

Then I hope that the steering linkages are as good as they seem and it’ll actually feels like a truck and not a wooden roller coaster ride! At least the roller coaster stays on track!

If they’re bad I’m going to get that Rocco and Pignoli steering. Y, rack & pinion. That should solve everything ... unless the steering box needs adjustment or work.

Anyone have any input if I’m going about this in the correct way? Has anyone done the hard bushings?
Anyone have any experience with any of the above, especially the Rack & Pinion mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
MikeDTuning

Re: VAGABOND RAMPSIDE STEERING

Post by MikeDTuning »

i cant help you much with the bushings, but i can with the rack and pinion. on my 66 corsa i used a Dodge Intrepid rack, with a swedge tube tie rods, and a few (easy to make) adapter pieces. it was probably 300$ ish total in parts, and once of the best upgrades i ever did. Welding skills required
Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
Vairamp

Re: VAGABOND RAMPSIDE STEERING

Post by Vairamp »

MikeDTuning wrote:i cant help you much with the bushings, but i can with the rack and pinion. on my 66 corsa i used a Dodge Intrepid rack, with a swedge tube tie rods, and a few (easy to make) adapter pieces. it was probably 300$ ish total in parts, and once of the best upgrades i ever did. Welding skills required
Is it manual? How did you decide on a Dodge Intrepid Rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”