Fibre-Motive engines

For those of us that still like to play in the dirt.
DrMike

Fibre-Motive engines

Post by DrMike »

Fiber Tech and J&J Engineering got together in the 70's and produced this innovative weld on manifold for the Corvair. It was designed to mount two Holley 500 two barrel carbs...one on each head. The system has been bad-mouthed by many, but driven by few. Every owner I know of praises it and says it's wonderful when everything is in synch....probably the key word here.
When all polished out, there are no prettier engines either.

Mike McCrae
Attachments
DSC03034.JPG
DSC03034.JPG (857.77 KiB) Viewed 4688 times
DSC03037.JPG
DSC03037.JPG (822.92 KiB) Viewed 4688 times
DSC03042.JPG
DSC03042.JPG (857.53 KiB) Viewed 4688 times
DSC03040.JPG
DSC03040.JPG (888.42 KiB) Viewed 4688 times
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Fibre-Motive engines

Post by Scott H »

:eek: I don't even know what to say...*mouth hanging open, drool on keyboard* :drool:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
DrMike

Post by DrMike »

...at least you said something.....?
crazyjohnny

Post by crazyjohnny »

i want !!! any sets laying around? anybody?
Where are we going? Why are we in this handbasket?
atwistedgrip
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by atwistedgrip »

That's badass!!
Gary
Sun City is now Menifee, CA
CORSA member
IECC member
DrMike

Post by DrMike »

....actually....I have a set of these heads, and several of the intake manifolds which have to be weled on.

Mike McCrae mmccrae6@cox.net
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Really!? hmmm? :think:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

I HAD a set with 3" round inlet pipe welded on.

Can you say duel E-flow Rajay. :cool:

Sold them to Star Cooke a few GWFBT&SM's ago...he's a smart guy!!
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

That engine sure looks sharp !

Do you have any experience with it running yet ? I'm not trying to be critical (honestly) but I wonder about throttle response at lower engine speeds , especially with two 500 carbs. The large plenum does seem like it would make good power at higher revs tho.

Those manifolds come up once in a while on Ebay but usually not as nice looking as the ones above.

I may even have an old magazine article about them. I know I have several Fiber-Motive ads.

The bottom pics are of a homemade setup to mount SU side-drafts on a 140. It was a bolt-on. They came with my car when I bought it. I never tried them but the idea of variable cfm carbs seemed like a good idea .

Cutting off the top of the factory manifolds like is done with the fiber-motives is probably better tho . I think the carbs were Volvo.
Attachments
fiber 2.JPG
fiber 3.JPG
fiber 4.JPG
fiber 4.JPG (49.06 KiB) Viewed 4600 times
fiber 1.jpg
fiber 1.jpg (33.05 KiB) Viewed 4600 times
MANIFOLD.JPG
MANIFOLD.JPG (12.45 KiB) Viewed 4600 times
su1.jpg
su2.jpg
su3.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
DrMike

Post by DrMike »

The owner ran it in the desert this last weekend..... and sent everyone else home. I too thought it would really be lousy on the low end, but apparently 50cc accelerator pumps mask that problem.

Mike McCrae
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

DrMike wrote:Fiber Tech and J&J Engineering got together in the 70's and produced this innovative weld on manifold for the Corvair. It was designed to mount two Holley 500 two barrel carbs...one on each head. The system has been bad-mouthed by many, but driven by few. Every owner I know of praises it and says it's wonderful when everything is in synch....probably the key word here.
When all polished out, there are no prettier engines either.

Mike McCrae
I bought an EM '61 (the "rat-mobile") with a set of heads that have these intakes welded on. It's a 140 that I believe is built up, but I'm actually not sure....(I don't who'd run these intakes without at least putting a hotter cam in the motor) Also, I'm pretty sure Holley makes a 2 barrel 350 CFM version too. I was wondering if anyone ever tried putting on a Holley/Weber, or if the mounting flange is even the same. I'm betting it's not, but THAT sounds like a good setup!

This engine looks like sh** but.....I don't think it's ever even been started!!! Apparently, somebody invested a bit of money and never even finished everything, I have no idea how long ago. (like throttle linkage) The oil in the engine is brand new and the headers don't seem to have any carbon on them. Weird.

Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

That EM looks like a nice find! I was wondering if those intakes fit under the hood on a car? I guess they do. ::-):
Let's get that thing running! :burnout:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
flashpoint
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by flashpoint »

I like it...............I dont see no reason why it wouldnt work or would get bad mouthed
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

I think it's because of the CFM rating vs. the cubic inches....doesn't make sense on paper, unless you're gonna take it to 12,000 RPM. But I noticed that there are new 350 CFM Holley 2-barrel carbs that will bolt on and adapters to mount a pair of Holley/Weber style progressive 2-barrels. In that beautiful top pic, I noticed those Holleys are mounted the same direction, where as mine (on the rat-mobile) the carb mounting studs were drilled so that the carbs are turned 180 degrees from each other (and these carbs only mount one way) One carb "pulls" and one "pushes". This kind of complicates the throttle linkage design, but I'll figure it out.
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

I just purchased a set of these. I got the heads with a valve job done the manifolds are welded on and the linkage for $450 shipped. I am planning on shipping them directly to someone to check out the previous work, and add angled exhaust and deep seats if not already equipped with them. I also want HP springs so I can run a 280 cam or comparable. Here is my set up. I am looking for advice on what carburetor and any other suggested engine mods that would help me get the best use of these on a street engine.

Here is one of them.

And a link to the ebay listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Hey hey congrats!!.....I was watching those! Not that I was going to bid, I just wanted to see what they'd go for. Great idea with the angled exhaust etc......seems like a good deal too! BTW, I bought 2 350 CFM Holleys for relatively cheap price on Summit....$566.00 for both. I thought the 350 CFM versions would be a bit more responsive than a couple of 500's. Not to sound like I'm bangin' the Weber setups (because I worship them) but these Fibermotive setups are almost ridiculously cheap, compared to what a Weber carbed setup would cost. Shoot, Starrcooke gets $750 for Weber manifolds! I'm curious to see how my car goes with them installed. Here's the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=772&start=16

Return to “Corvair Dune Buggies”