Corvair " Still No Match For Mustang" Vintage film

Videos, Brochures, Articles, Ads, Owners Manuals, How to...
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Corvair " Still No Match For Mustang" Vintage film

Post by UNSAFE »

World premier of this one :thewave:

Produced by Ford in 1965 and has the typical brand bashing .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHupGJBp ... e=youtu.be

Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Corvair " Still No Match For Mustang" Vintage film

Post by bbodie52 »

Sounds like a comparison of apples and oranges. Ford never spoke of the independent Corvette-style rear suspension design in the Corvair, or the live solid rear axle in the Mustang that offered less in the handling department. They repeatedly pointed out the need for power front disc brakes and power steering in the front engine Mustang (with the heavy weight bias in the front), but power steering and power brakes proved unnecessary with the rear engine Corvair and the increased drum brake size introduced in 1965 coupled with the improved brake system performance inherent in the rear engine Corvair makes power steering and power brakes unnecessary.
Corvair Brakes.

A Corvair has an advantage over a front engine car under braking. Since the weight bias is to the rear, the car is much less nose heavy under braking, so it makes use of all four tires when stopping. Early model Corvairs had adequate, though not spectacular, brakes and the rear weight bias helped the car use all four when braking. Late models used GM intermediate platform (Chevelle, Tempest, etc.) brakes which performed very well on the 1000 pound lighter Corvair.
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/brakes.html

My parents seriously considered buying a Mustang 2+2 Fastback in 1965. They also seriously considered buying a 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible. Their final decision left me driving Corvairs to this day! I guess my father was more impressed with the handling and styling of the Corvair, and considered the technological underpinnings of the Mustang to be something of a restyled glorified Ford Falcon. So the Mustang was put out to pasture and never made it into our barn. ::-):
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
myhotrod

Post by myhotrod »

I so enjoyed the film as it hit home on several notes. I never, never compared a Mustang to a Corvair. My Dad bought a 66 Mustang 6cyl 3 speed to drive to work after I just married . My best friend that I have noted several times now with so many miles bought a 65 Corvair Corsa that was totaled when a lady ran stop sign . He then purchased a 65 Monza and turned it into a Corsa. I loved his car as it was fast and handled so well and my Dads Mustang handled like a Falcon because that is what it really was. I ordered a 67 2+2 V8 3 speed (My first new car! And I liked the newer body style) I loved it and only sold it for a larger car as the new baby needed a real back seat. I never compared the Corvair (now I have 2) to any Mustang. As was mentioned in someone's earlier note, Apples and Orangers. I helped son restore a 64 !/2 Mustang coupe V8 auto to a super looking and driving car. But, never handled like a Corvair. But cost less than 1/2 $$ to build than my Corvair Monza. Each car has a special look. The Mustang was the old man's "want to be sport car" and the 65 Corvair handled like a young man's sports car ! I love both for totally different reasons and thank God we had both to drive and enjoy. Thanks for reading PS The late body Corvair will never look old as so many folks, young and old,give it the thumbs up and then ask, What is it? !!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:chevy: Chevrolet counter-attacks... Image

1965 Corvair vs. Mustang Image

:link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8yBhqeRDE#t=298
This is a dealer training filmstrip provided to Chevy dealers to teach their salesmen how to sell the Corvair over the Mustang. Message or email me if you'd like to get this on a high resolution standard full screen DVD. Digital conversion and audio visual work © Tim Verthein 2009
Highlighted by Missy VairGrl Rodriguez on the Corvair Nuts of North America Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2460383622/
ImageImage :Love it:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Misc. Corvair Videos and Media”