Need help with insuring my Corvair.

Anything Corvair related
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Need help with insuring my Corvair.

Post by 4carbcorvair »

I started out with American Collector Car, they did charge me extra because of the tt II wheels. Was about $150 a year agreed iirc. We moved to a house with no garage and they dropped me. Understandable.

Currently have hagerty. Very easy to deal with. Agreed value and no mileage limits.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
ChuckC

Post by ChuckC »

Brad,

I also live in NC, in addition to the no annual safety inspection, you can run a vintage plate on the car without having the plate registered with the state. You simply register the car as normal, get a regular plate, and run the vintage plate in its place as long as you carry the actual plate in the car. Must wreak havoc on the license plate readers on the toll road.

I guess somewhere along the way, some politician was a classic car buff.
bbodie52 wrote: :goodpost: I also insured my 1966 Corsa convertible with State Farm. The policy was set up the same as my 2005 GMC and my 1991 Toyota Supra Turbo. The only unique thing with the Corvair was establishing its "stated value". In my case that was based on my documented purchase price. I had to take the car to the agent for a photo session, so that they could document its condition. There are no restrictions on its use (pleasure) or annual mileage.

Incidentally, the Corvair is exempt from annual safety inspections in North Carolina, due to its age! :dontknow: A brand new car is required to have a safety inspection when it is registered for the first time, but 49 year old car is exempt from a safety inspection!! It is still driven on public highways, carries people, etc. But it is apparently deemed perpetually safe since it has lasted this long. :rolling:

:whoa: Politicians! Bureaucrats! :banghead:
Chuck
Raleigh, NC
64 Monza Coupe - 110 - PG
sailadams

Post by sailadams »

Georgia doesn't safety inspect any time. There are emissions inspections that are dropped after 25 years, however.
1966 Monza coupe, 1967 Buick Special Deluxe hardtop coupe, 1967 MGB GT, 1976 MGB roadster, Kurzweil PC3, Martin 0 custom, Martin 00 Tweedie, Larrivee OMV-9, 1996 Parker Deluxe
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

I have Hagerty. No issues and vary good coverage and rates.
Also Hagerty gives a discount to CORSA Members... jus not allowed to here in Kalyphornya! :angry:

I do not use the Lizzard or Left wing Progressive. They limit uninsured motorist for motorcycle insurence here,
and have other goofy clauses that I will not agree to. :nono:

Corventure Dave
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Almost ALL the collector/hobby car insurance companies require you to have a main "daily driver" car besides your collector/hobby car and you must keep your collector/hobby car stored in a garage, when not in use.

Some companies put restrictions on mileage and use.

I found Haggerty to be the least restrictive about use, mileage, and modifications. Haggerty will also let you increase the insured value as you make improvements to the car, like an engine/transaxle rebuild, new interior, etc. between policy renewal dates.

Haggerty will also insure a car while it is being restored. Some companies WILL NOT insure a car while it is dismantled for restoration - READ THE FINE PRINT IN THE CONTRACT.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

State Farm with a stated value - they never even saw the car :dontknow:
Attachments
proto 13.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
rowin4

Post by rowin4 »

I have Hagerty insurance for my 3 cars,. I have never had a claim in the 20 years with them but from what I have heard they are more than fair with people when the do have one. Now You State Farm guy's must not have had claims either, My buddy HAD his home, cars and truck insured through State Farm insurance for years when a big storm came through and blew the garage door in landing on top of his 69 Chevell. Well State Farm told him that it was just an old car and they were not going to pay for the body work and paint to repair it and didn't. Now this was no ragged out car, it was then and is again today in show room condition no thanks to State farm. So , I would look to an Insurance Co. that insures old cars like Hagerty, Grundy or American Collector Car. There might be more but at least check them out. I think all require a garage or there not to be used as a daily driver, mileage may differ .
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Amazing how some companies will insure a car without even looking at it, then you put in a claim and they go "Oh we can't honor your claim since your car doesn't meet our policy requirements"

A buddy tried AAA collector car insurance and ended up in the same situation since his car was "modified".

Haggerty will request pictures and ask about modifications you've made and if they say your covered, you ARE!
rowin4

Post by rowin4 »

Hagerty required me to send them 3 pictures of my cars. One of the interior, and one showing the front and side of the car and one showing the back and other side. My cars are not modified so I can't offer anything on that.
Mfankha1

Post by Mfankha1 »

State Farm wouldn't value mine "replacement value" what I wanted. Hagerty did and allowed me to pay for the year AND it was cheaper and they matched my State farm coverage, so happy so far with Hagerty.
Matt

1960 Corvair 500 Sedan
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

I chose Hagerty and am very happy with them

A friend of mine did have a claim with Hagerty and I observed the entire encounter. After calling Hagerty to inform them of the accident (not his fault) they said no problem. Told him of two classic car repair locations they would suggest and not to worry they would cover all repairs up to his agreed value and Hagerty would deal with the other person's insurance. An estimate was made and work was started. Some hidden damage was found that necessitated additional cost and the shop was given the go ahead to do the work. No hassles at all. I insure 3 classic cars with agreed value, no mileage limits, and anyone that drives my cars (18 year old grandson included) are covered with all year round coverage for 327 dollars a year. How can you beat that?
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I live in Alaska but my car resides in Indiana - Hagerty would not insure me because of that :dontknow:
Attachments
$(KGrHqR,!rQFDHyO()nbBQ9dFcPBvQ~~60_32.png
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
timinbovey

Post by timinbovey »

I too have had American Collectors in all my collector cars for at least the past 25 years. I've insured my Edsel with them for decades. Had a '64 Corvair with them which was destroyed in a flood about 3 years ago. An adjuster came out to look. I received a check for the full agreed to value with no issues. Currently have a '51 Buick and '59 Ford F-100 with them (I'm out of Corvairs at the moment). No issues, low rates, good service. You state how many miles you plan to drive yearly and it's figured into their rate. Of course you're not supposed to be using the car as your daily driver, keep it in a garage, etc and like all the rest you have to show you have enough regular cars for the regular drivers in your household with insurance. When I filed the claim on the drowned Corvair no one asked how many miles it had been driven or investigated to see if I drove it to to work, etc. They probably get more picky when it's a 100,000 car. I was not able to obtain decent insurance through my regular agent back 25 years ago, found American Collectors, and stayed with them since.

Tim in Bovey
timinbovey

Post by timinbovey »

UNSAFE wrote:I live in Alaska but my car resides in Indiana - Hagerty would not insure me because of that :dontknow:
Hey! I have the original negative for this photo!
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I have State Farm. They required me to send photos. My '64 is insured for $12,000 for around $250/yr with no restrictions. Hagerty told me it had to live in a locked garage and be driven less than some amount of miles. The main reason I used State Farm is that liability on my other 'Vairs is about $50/yr. I haven't found anyone else that would sell liability only on an antique policy. I do have to have my water pumpers with them to get the antique policy.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

LBC TITAN wrote:Can anyone tell me how they insured their car? I have insurance on my daily driver through GEICO. GEICO classic car vendor wanted to charge me extra just because of the striped hood and that I had aftermarket seats, redicoulos to me. I then got a quote from Grundy in Pennsylvania, they said that I would to have at least a $ 100,000.00 liability on my daily driver to match the policy, what does my daily driver have to do with insuring my Corvair? I'm just trying to protect my
investment, any recommendations would help.

Thank you
Simply call your agent and add the car to your policy. Most insurance companies will provide basic liability coverage but may ask for additional photo's and documentation if collision and comprehensive coverages are desired. Most companies that provide agreed value policies will also have stipulations regarding garaging and limit the annual mileage. Some even want to prohibit you from stopping at the convenience store when driving it.

Most companies that offer coverage for Antique Vehicles for low premiums expect them to be 100% factory stock and allow no exceptions while again mandating a whole list of conditions be met first.

I have a couple collector cars but insure everything under my regular policy because I don't want any restrictions on when, where, or how much I use it. While the minimum liability coverage in my state is $20,000.00, I opt for the best coverage available to me which happens to be $500,000.00 and I feel that in today's economy is inadequate but it is the most available to me at the moment. I have full coverage on most of my vehicles but dropped the collision coverage on a couple that have no real monetary value (2000 Astro van & 1991 S-10). I am covered for anything except repairs to those vehicles if I am found at fault.

In the event you are involved in an accident, you are liable for any damages if you are found at fault. It would be a shame to be under insured and have a judgement that far exceeds your policy amounts. The value of most Corvairs is a drop in the bucket in comparison to the potential liability. This is why I choose to have a regular policy that focuses on the Liability coverages first and foremost. For me everything else is secondary. I for one would prefer to lose my collector car than my home.

I hope you are able to find a policy that meets both your needs as well as your budget.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner

Return to “Corvair Talk”