'66 Glove Box Switch and Light

Anything Corvair related
Kbryant

'66 Glove Box Switch and Light

Post by Kbryant »

I am trying to rewire my car's glove box switch and light bulb. When I look at the wiring diagram, I can't find the switch anywhere. I have a orange wire running to the switch. Does anyone know how to wire the light?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: '66 Glove Box Switch and Light

Post by bbodie52 »

:chevy: As you can see in the wiring schematic below, the glove box light center conductor is tied to a wiring junction point in the wiring harness. The continuous power 12 VDC is provided to that junction point from the fuse block. It also powers the main light switch, dome light, brake pedal stop lamp switch, etc. The ground return is provided by the lamp socket to the chassis ground provided by the socket mount.
1965-69 Glove Box Wiring.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Kbryant

Post by Kbryant »

Thanks Brad but the schematic has power going directly to the bult. Where is the switch? Does the switch have two wire connected to it - one to the continuous 12v source and the other to the bulb?
BobWitt
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by BobWitt »

The bulb holder and switch are in the same assembly. In this case 12v goes to the bulb base via the IP wiring, the spring contacts the bulb tip, and ground at the bezel when the plunger is released...

In the following photo my parts (also a 66) are laid out in assembly order...

Hope it helps...
20150315_070900.jpg
BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140
Follow my build at: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9082"
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

If I recall correctly a new wiring harness has a connector that will push into the back of the bulb socket/switch assembly. As Bob said - one hot wire in and assembly switch grounds to the dash via the push in bezel (via scrapping the paint off the hole in the dash frame). If the bezel is corroded or you put some thick paint on the dash you may not get a ground.

Contact grounds are common in 60's cars (before dashes became mostly plastic). The worst is the windshield wiper switch that can cause intermittent or slow wiper action. I ALWAYS attach a ground wire to the windshield wiper switch and connect it to a good frame ground.
Kbryant

Post by Kbryant »

Perfect. Thanks so much for your help. This is just the information I needed.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Sorry that I misunderstood your original question. I thought you were having a problem with the wiring diagram.

I attempted to arrange the picture of the switch and socket assembly to illustrate the internal electrical connectivity. The spring is always in contact with the center terminal of the bulb once it is installed in the socket. The outer metal bulb casing is in contact with the positive wire terminal. The black plastic plunger prevents the spring from contacting the metal (ground) attaching hardware until the glove compartment door is opened. When opened, the spring contacts the metal mount (chassis ground) and completes the circuit, illuminating the bulb.
Glove Compartment Switch.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Gigharborvair
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Gigharborvair »

I have a wire going to the glove box bulb assembly in my '62 Ramp that has a hook connection on the end of it. It is not connected ( hanging loose ) and I can't see where and how it connects....looks like a ground. Can anyone help? :dontknow:
Bob Sullivan
Gig Harbor, WA
Corsa member
Corvairs Northwest
Sully's '66 Monza 140 PG
Sully's '62 Grampy 110 4sd
Gigharborvair
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Gigharborvair »

I have a wire going to the glove box bulb assembly in my '62 Ramp that has a hook connection on the end of it. It is not connected ( hanging loose ) and I can't see where and how it connects....looks like a ground. Can anyone help? :dontknow:
Bob Sullivan
Gig Harbor, WA
Corsa member
Corvairs Northwest
Sully's '66 Monza 140 PG
Sully's '62 Grampy 110 4sd
BobWitt
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by BobWitt »

Bob, take a look at the wire in the left top corner of the glove box in this photo: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1900&start=144#p64868

Is this the "hook connection" you are talking about? this snaps into the black cylinder above and provides power, I think.

Hope it helps!
BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140
Follow my build at: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9082"
County98

Post by County98 »

This is an old thread, but just wanted to give a shout out and big thumbs up to Brad Bodie, Scott Howey, and all the major contributors.

I've been trying to put some stuff together that I took apart way too long ago and couldn't figure out the glove box switch. BAM, here it is, with a wiring diagram and pic of what I need. Thanks for being so helpful to everyone, and for the Site itself. :tu:
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079

Return to “Corvair Talk”