1962 Corvan project

Anything Corvair related
rampeyboy

1962 Corvan project

Post by rampeyboy »

It was late August I drug this van out of the weeds. It has sat for the last 10+yrs, rusting. All of the tires were very flat, and the brakes locked so it wouldn't roll. The gracious PO was happy to help me load her up!

The van is fairly unique. It is a Corvan, but with roll down windows in back..like a Greenbrier. Plus it has window screens, and a deluxe interior. But, there's no provision for rear seats, or rear heat. It has two bucket seats in front, with the passenger side a folding seat. It was originally solid Omaha Orange, but a PO added a white stripe. It has I believe the original 80hp engine with a 4 speed, and 3.27 rear axle ratio.

Since then, I have been busy. I got her running, & rebuilt the brakes front to rear. Next, I removed all of the heater ducts and cleaned them out. I installed a hi volume blower (1988 Cavalier model with relay), and cut an opening for rear heat. This van did not have rear heat or rear seats. I installed some junk yard mirrors, and horn. Added an aux jack to the AM radio for IPOD connection. I painted the original wheels, and installed new tires. While the gas tank is out, I cleaned it, replaced the shifter shaft seal at the tranny, and tested the fuel sender. One of my coworkers gave me some seats out of a full size Ford van. They fit nicely in the 2nd and 3rd row positions.

Even though this van is relatively unique, I plan to make it just a plain old daily driver, without too much concern for originality due to the amount of rust it has. I'll send updated pictures and more info as it becomes available. I'm hoping to have it on the road by late December....yes of this year!
Attachments
grn2.jpg
grn2.jpg (9.18 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Butcher&Vairs

Re: 1962 Corvan project

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

:rafman: Cool Man!! :goodpost:
Attachments
pixnov07 490 - Copy.jpg
pixnov07 490 - Copy.jpg (90.76 KiB) Viewed 923 times
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Sweet van. Youve posted it on the h.a.m.b. right? Is it driving yet? Post some interior pics, I want to see those seats.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I'm learning something new everyday.

I admit to not knowing much about FCs but I had no idea that rolldown windows was a difference between the two.
Attachments
480.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Corvair Talk”