Charging issue

Anything Corvair related
bobw

Charging issue

Post by bobw »

I have been having an issue with my '62 700 sedan PG not charging enough, after a bit of driving, the battery dies and it won't start. The GEN light gets brighter at higher RPM's and especially when the headlights are on. I've switched the generator, the regulator and the battery with good used ones and still the same issue. Any thoughts on what to try next?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Charging issue

Post by bbodie52 »

:nono: :wrench: When you install and connect your generator, did you POLARIZE the generator? The procedure shown below is necessary with a generator-based charging system. It is not needed with an alternator-based system.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO POLARIZE A NEW GENERATOR BY FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURES IN THE CORVAIR SHOP MANUAL. THIS PROCEDURE IS DESCRIBED ON PAGE 8-18 OF THE ATTACHED SHOP MANUAL SECTION. This polarizing procedure applies ONLY to vehicles equipped with a GENERATOR. It does not apply to vehicles equipped with an alternator.
Polarizing the Generator.jpg
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 8 - Electrical Systems.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 8 - Electrical Systems
(3.28 MiB) Downloaded 105 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bobw

Post by bobw »

I did not polarize it, but it wasn't a new generator, I swapped it off my parts car. The car still seems to run well, it just keeps draining the battery.
junkman

Post by junkman »

Polarizing the generator tells the generator in what direction to send the current. It has nothing to do with new / used. It must be done whenever you install a new generator and / or regulator. Alternators, on the other hand, you don't polarize. Generators are DC and Alternators put out AC current and convert it to DC
I deal with reasonable people reasonably, and unreasonable people, not at all!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:doh: :whoa: It would drain the battery if there is no output from the generator — which could be the case if the polarizing procedure was not done.

Whenever the battery is disconnected from the vehicle for any reason the polarization procedure should be performed.

The recommendation on how to polarize a charging system is the following: After the installation of a battery, generator or voltage regulator follow these procedures. The terminals on the voltage regulator are labeled with letters and this is where you will do the polarizing procedure. Both of the components will have battery power so do not start the vehicle or turn on the ignition switch before polarizing them. You will need a small piece of wire fourteen or sixteen gauge with alligator clips on the ends. Find the "Batt" terminal on the regulator and attach one of the alligator clips, find the "Armature" terminal and touch the terminal with the other alligator clip. You can touch the terminals a few times and it will produce a soft light spark.

:nono: Under no circumstances touch the "Field" terminal or any other part of the regulator or you could damage the regulator.

:link: http://www.vv.corvair.org/pipermail/vir ... 13475.html
What you want to do is polarize the generator. If in fact it ran with reverse polarity, everything should be fine after this process. You should not have damaged anything yet.

With key off, use a piece of 14 gage or larger wire to jump between the battery and armature terminals of the voltage regulator. I am at work without a shop manual, so I forget the actual writing on the terminals. BUT, it is the top and middle terminal on Corvairs (with the regulator mounted stock position, red wires on top terminal).

It will spark! Hold for 1 or 2 seconds. The wire may also get warm, be prepared.

Start engine again and check for red light going out.
Brad Bodie
bobw

Post by bobw »

Thanks Brad, I'll try this tonight.
RNader

Post by RNader »

Can anyone help me to Polarize this voltage regulator? It just has "F" and then 2,3 and 4. I don't know which is the "Batt" and the "Armature". Photo attached.

Thanks
Attachments
Photo of regulator
Photo of regulator
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

:dontknow:
RNader wrote:Image

...Can anyone help me to Polarize this voltage regulator? It just has "F" and then 2,3 and 4. I don't know which is the "Batt" and the "Armature". Photo attached...
:whoa: Is this the voltage regulator for an alternator? If it is, alternators should never be polarized! The polarization procedure strictly applies to generators — not alternators!!
Late Model (Alternator) Charging System
Late Model (Alternator) Charging System
bbodie52 wrote:You might try the following polarizing procedure to see if this gets your charging system working again. If it does not further troubleshooting will be needed to check the function of the generator and the proper operation of the voltage regulator. You may have to replace the voltage regulator or overhaul/replace the generator. Alternately you might consider replacing/upgrading the old charging system (if it is faulty) with an alternator system (possibly with an internal integrated electronic voltage regulator). Such a conversion also requires replacing the oil filter/generator adaptor with a mount designed for an alternator (from a 1965-69 Corvair).

CHARGING SYSTEM (GENERATOR TYPE ONLY)

Whenever the battery is disconnected from the vehicle for any reason the polarization procedure should be performed.

The recommendation on how to polarize a charging system is the following: After the installation of a battery, generator or voltage regulator follow these procedures. The terminals on the voltage regulator are labeled with letters and this is where you will do the polarizing procedure. Both of the components will have battery power so do not start the vehicle or turn on the ignition switch before polarizing them. You will need a small piece of wire fourteen or sixteen gauge with alligator clips on the ends. Find the "Batt" terminal on the regulator and attach one of the alligator clips, find the "Armature" terminal and touch the terminal with the other alligator clip. You can touch the terminals a few times and it will produce a soft light spark.

:nono: Under no circumstances touch the "Field" terminal or any other part of the regulator or you could damage the regulator.

:link: http://www.vv.corvair.org/pipermail/vir ... 13475.html

What you want to do is polarize the generator. If in fact it ran with reverse polarity, everything should be fine after this process. You should not have damaged anything yet.

With key off, use a piece of 14 gage or larger wire to jump between the battery and armature terminals of the voltage regulator. I am at work without a shop manual, so I forget the actual writing on the terminals. BUT, it is the top and middle terminal on Corvairs (with the regulator mounted stock position, red wires on top terminal).

It will spark! Hold for 1 or 2 seconds. The wire may also get warm, be prepared.

Start engine again and check for red light going out.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO POLARIZE A NEW GENERATOR BY FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURES IN THE CORVAIR SHOP MANUAL. THIS PROCEDURE IS DESCRIBED ON PAGE 8-18 OF THE ATTACHED SHOP MANUAL SECTION. This polarizing procedure applies ONLY to vehicles equipped with a GENERATOR. It does not apply to vehicles equipped with an alternator.

Corvair Combined Wiring Schematics
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to invite you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, etc. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your geographic location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
RNader

Post by RNader »

My name is Sean, I am 37 yrs old and and have wanted a Corvair since I first saw one in '96. I just rescued a '65 Monza from a retired couple living in a small town on the Kansas/Nebraska border. I have very limited mechanical knowledge but I am very hands on so I do enjoy trying to repair/replace myself. I just replaced the battery, alternator and voltage regulator and am having a similar issue with the battery dying and the generator light comes on. I took it to the local Autozone and the 18 yr old kid ran the diagnostic machine on it and it stopped at the regulator. I did trade that one in for new to rule out a faulty regulator. I see now that I do not need to "polarize" my system so what do you recommend? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
RNader

Post by RNader »

IMG_0059.JPG

toytron

Post by toytron »

Welcome Sean. Could you provide pictures of your alternator wiring, battery connections, and voltage regulator connections? This will be helpful for people to reply to. Also your ground connections if you can find them.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
RNader

Post by RNader »

Sorry for the late update, been busy getting this figured out. My neighbor is an electrician and after several hours of troubleshooting he found that my magnetic field wires needed to be switch to support my new Alternator. No more generator light and everything is working as it should... electrical anyhow. Thanks everyone!ImageImage

RNader

Post by RNader »

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Man ENGINE FIRE waiting to happen. Never use rubber hoses and especially plastic fuel filters in the engine bay. This is quite dangerous. If a belt should break it could easily shatter that filter and spew gas all over in there resulting in a fire. Re-plumb the intake fuel line with a proper steel line (available from Clark's Corvair Parts or other vendors, or bend your own. The factory fuel line enters the engine bay above the left rear wheel. There is a rubber joiner there near the starter. This is an ideal location to add an external inline fuel filter like the one in your photo, BUT, use an all steel one, not plastic.

Your alternator should be re-clocked 90 degrees CCW and the rear support bracket ( apparently missing) installed. The bracket installs between the rear support bolt (5/16 x 18 hole in the rear of the alternator) and the rear most left side 3/8 x16 top shroud bolt.(the battery negative cable is normally mounted here as well). I am sure someone on here or the Corvair Ranch or other used parts supplier can supply the bracket if it is not with the car.

Your Oil filter looks very close to the rear crossmember. Closely inspect your rear engine mount and transmission crossmember mounts for dry rot and sagging which can cause the powertrain to shift back slightly making this clearance close
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

RN, Ted is spot on ! Your 65 really looks nice and you do not want to risk your life or your Corvair on something so simple to change! The up side is no longer a fire danger with the rubber hose and plastic filter and the engine compartment will look better with them gone and the correct fuel line in its place!
A good and easy Saturday morning project. Good luck. [emoji1303]

Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
RNader

Post by RNader »

Thank you, thank you, both! I knew I went to the right place. Learning as I go. I love this car and I love driving it around town. Im amazed at how many people give me a wave or a thumps up when out. Also it seems there are many who have never heard of nor seen a Corvair in their entire life. I'm never on time to my destination when I drive it for I'm explaining what it is at every stop. [emoji3]

Return to “Corvair Talk”