Daily Driven

Anything Corvair related
Ira

Daily Driven

Post by Ira »

Okay so as most of you know my project suddenly took a drastic change for the better... (at least I think so)... and it's about to navigate through another chicane.

Two weeks ago I decided to keep the car, do a full rebuild and drive it through the summer.

Now, tonight my wife asked me about the feasibility of driving the coupe 10 to 12 months out of the year. This came about once we did a cost comparison between my Suburban and the Corvair. The insurance is wicked cheap (full comp with zero deductible) and the gas is way better as well.

Great! This car now becomes a rebellous answer to the ricer scene!, which is funny as I am a Subie fan and own a WRX.

So, besides the obvious seat belt upgrades... anyone have any suggestions or comments on me turning this car into a daily driver as it was originally meant to be?

In addition... how many other owners out there actually drive these cars on a daily basis?

IRa :chevy:
tboltkc

Re: Daily Driven

Post by tboltkc »

Mine is a daily driver and I enjoy (almost) every minute of it.

I'd recommend a dual master cylinder if you haven't already. Might want to consider a pertronix or other (although I run points). There are lots of things you CAN do probably, but these cars were all daily drivers when they were built, so they do work for that!
Travis
Heart of America Corvair Owners' Association - Kansas City, MO
http://www.hacoa.org
'65 Corsa turbo, '65 4 door 110/4spd, '63 Convertible 102/PG (Judson in its future), '62 Deluxe Wagon.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

tboltkc wrote:Mine is a daily driver and I enjoy (almost) every minute of it.

I'd recommend a dual master cylinder if you haven't already. Might want to consider a pertronix or other (although I run points). There are lots of things you CAN do probably, but these cars were all daily drivers when they were built, so they do work for that!
I'm right with you on this too.....the FIRST thing I did was to add a Pertronix II ignitor unit, a Flamethrower HV coil, and a rebuilt distributor. Next I went completely thru the brake system and rebuilt everything. I didn't go dual master, (yet) but that's quite respectable and smart. Maybe sometime in the near future, maybe not. One other thing that's next is to junk that mechanical fuel pump and add an electric pump near the tank. I'm also going on a war on oil leaks. (pulling the drivetrain). I don't drive my car daily, but I drive it a fair amount.

4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

After losing brakes on two Corvairs. I say go with a dual master. Make sure your E-brake works too.

Lost them on the 61, didn't know they were NOT self adjusting. An adjuster fell off and left the brakes pretty much useless.
On the 66, the lines looked great. Got a hole in the line above the fuel tank.

Thankfully the E-brake worked on both.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

I drive my corvair year round. I always install a dual master cylinder and check the rest of the brakes out. I have on some added shoulder harnesses. I also like bigger tires than stock so they dont wander as much. I never thought they needed better ignition unless you race them.
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Only thing I wish worked better was the heat during the winter months, it gets downright COLD in the midwest. Better seats are always welcome, since I have back pain. I like the new GTO seats, gonna try and score a set of those.
Click it!
Ira

Post by Ira »

So I'm thinking along the same lines as most of you guys.

New dual master cylinder... just to drive around and get the bugs worked out... then 4 wheel discs.

Upgraded seats. If you check my Member's ride post; you'll see two extremely nice Recaro's given to me by my father in law. :ty:

And I was convinced by someone (who shall remain nameless) to leave the ignition completely stock until I begin to heavily modify the engine. Michael has now confirmed that as a viable option (at least in my mind). :think:

So the only thing about this scenario that I found funny was my father in law's response. Initially he said it was my car now and that I could do whatever I wanted. Later he stated that in his opinion he would not drive the car very often as there are very few of the 66 Corsa coupes left and even fewer are as straight as this body. Well, leaving it on jacks and not driving it for 35 years hasn't helped it much, at least in my mind. Hell, you can't take these things with you.

My opinion? Our family already has a 57 Chevy that is too damned valuable to drive (hopefully one day someone will purchase it). It's probably one of the most magnificent 57 hardtops I've ever seen... and I've seen bunches of them over the last twenty some years. But the bottom line is that it isn't any fun to drive or take anywhere. Yeah, it's cool to be seen in but you're always wondering who will run a red light and slam into you or who will scratch the thing. That's what separates us normal people from the rich who can drive those kind of cars and not worry about that kind of stuff.

So the last thing I want is another mantle piece.

I have to say that after doing mass amounts of research on this car over the last five months; the thing that I can walk away with is... "Man there were sure a lot of amazing people over the last 50 years who truly thought these cars were special."

In closing I plan to tip my hat :clap: to all of those people (past and present) who think so highly about these cars; by building and driving this car daily. These cars deserve to be driven and the unfortunate low price tags of these collectible Chevys convince me of that even more.

If it get's dented- we'll fix her. If her engine blows- I've got two others. If she gets totalled :pray: :sad5: - I'll bury her and go buy another.

IRa :chevy:
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Awesome Ira. Very well said. I do plan on driving mine daily also.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Ira wrote:... how many other owners out there actually drive these cars on a daily basis?
I drive my 66 V-8 anytime it's not raining (not often in Phoenix) and when my passenger doesn't mind that it's loud and proud.

In a few more weeks (100+ temps and no A/C) I'll be favoring a "normal" car or stick to driving after the sun has set. ::-):

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
tboltkc

Post by tboltkc »

I am running points and the original style fuel pump. They both work fine and don't HAVE to be changed to have a reliable car.

I do have a dual master with front discs though. Although the discs were mostly because I do run my car occasionally on the track. Even then the brakes on these cars are so good you don't really need the discs either.
Travis
Heart of America Corvair Owners' Association - Kansas City, MO
http://www.hacoa.org
'65 Corsa turbo, '65 4 door 110/4spd, '63 Convertible 102/PG (Judson in its future), '62 Deluxe Wagon.

Return to “Corvair Talk”