em 4 lug to 5 lug swap

Anything Corvair related
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

em 4 lug to 5 lug swap

Post by freedo »

i want to go to 5 lug on my em corvair, any tips on how to do this exactly?
notched

Re: em 4 lug to 5 lug swap

Post by notched »

The easiest thing to do in the front would be to swap in an entire late model front cross member as you would get the added benefit of sway bar mounting (if your car doesnt already have it) and camber adjustment on the lower control arms. Plus you would have the option of running a late model speedometer cable off the left front wheel if you wanted.
If you dont want to go to that extent you could swap the late model spindles, hubs and brakes over at minimum.
If you are interested in the first route I have a complete set up I would sell cheap. I also have several sets of late spindles, hubs and drums. I am located in South Jersey near Philly.

The rear gets tricky. You will either need FC axles that you will have to shorten or you can have your existing axle flanges modified by plug welding the existing stud holes shut and have the bolt pattern redrilled.
You would have to redrill the bolt pattern on your brake drums as well unless you want to try retrofitting the FC rear brakes or can find another 5 lug drum that is the same diameter as the early rear drum brake.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

notched wrote:The easiest thing to do in the front would be to swap in an entire late model front cross member as you would get the added benefit of sway bar mounting (if your car doesnt already have it) and camber adjustment on the lower control arms. Plus you would have the option of running a late model speedometer cable off the left front wheel if you wanted.
If you dont want to go to that extent you could swap the late model spindles, hubs and brakes over at minimum.
If you are interested in the first route I have a complete set up I would sell cheap. I also have several sets of late spindles, hubs and drums. I am located in South Jersey near Philly.

The rear gets tricky. You will either need FC axles that you will have to shorten or you can have your existing axle flanges modified by plug welding the existing stud holes shut and have the bolt pattern redrilled.
You would have to redrill the bolt pattern on your brake drums as well unless you want to try retrofitting the FC rear brakes or can find another 5 lug drum that is the same diameter as the early rear drum brake.
how difficult is it to drill out the rears? and what you looking for on the spindles?
MBlaster1

Post by MBlaster1 »

Where are you located I have a 65 parts car, that I am going to Scrap it has a complete front end if interested send me a PM.
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

im located near philly so your to far from me, thanks though.
Blue hen

Post by Blue hen »

T:

Did those 4 lug mags rub at all? You need to roll fenders or anything?
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

Blue hen wrote:T:

Did those 4 lug mags rub at all? You need to roll fenders or anything?
if you leave yours at stock height they should rub with my tire size, as low as i am the front rubbed at full lock, i actually took a hammer to the inside of the fender to roll them since there so thick, rear there is no rubbing. my tie rod arms hit the lower control arms so i dont get full lock anymore
Blue hen

Post by Blue hen »

let me know if you switch to 5 lug wheels.
notched

Post by notched »

freedo wrote:
notched wrote:The easiest thing to do in the front would be to swap in an entire late model front cross member as you would get the added benefit of sway bar mounting (if your car doesnt already have it) and camber adjustment on the lower control arms. Plus you would have the option of running a late model speedometer cable off the left front wheel if you wanted.

how difficult is it to drill out the rears? and what you looking for on the spindles?
Drilling out the rear flanges is really a job for a machine shop as those flanges are heat treated and would require a tough drill bit. Plus you would have to set them up so the holes are all concentric to the center hub.
I have that who front cross member which has everything you need for the front. You can have it for $100
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
72BBNova
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 72BBNova »

I just did a 5 lug and disc conversion on my Spyder. Fronts were easy, I changed to a 66 spindle and used the drum brake hubs that were on my 72 Nova, (same as a late model hub). On the rears I knocked out the 4 studs and used the rotor from the front as a pattern to drill the axle flange, it fit the flange like a glove. Welded up one hole and marked and redrilled the others took about an hour to do each axle. Here's some pictures. Jeff

Before and after pictures here
http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... =80&t=6764

66 Spindle
Jeff
1964 Spyder coupe
1966 Corsa convertible (project, some assembly required)
1972 Nova 496/6spd
1975 Chevy Cheyenne 454 C20 camper special
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

Here is an option for the rear.

Spacers to install F/C 5 lug axles.

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... msg-668753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
spacers.jpg
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
guthrie1068
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by guthrie1068 »

Jeff, what brackets and calipers did you use on the rear disc brake swap? can you post some pics of that?
Chad Guthrie
Rives Junction, MI
'63 Convertible
Connrod

Post by Connrod »

Thanks for the link. It opens up more wheel choices now

Return to “Corvair Talk”