Ring gear replacement

Anything Corvair related
rudyck

Ring gear replacement

Post by rudyck »

Hi all, I'm sure this topic has been asked and answered somewhere in the last 40+ years, but I need help now. I have a 66 Monza 110 pg and I need to replace the torque converter and ring gear. I have never pulled an engine and my main question is: do you need to remove the transmission/transaxle with the engine, or can the engine be removed separately???? I've watched engine removal video's on the web, but they are 4-speeds. I was told that on LM's engine R&R was fairly easy and that there were only 4 rear bolts that had to be removed. I assume those are the ones on the bell housing. Can someone please give me the straight skinny of LM engine R&R. It would be nice to have this car running again. Thanks for your assistance and am glad to be back on this forum.

Rudyck
66 Monza Vert
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Ring gear replacement

Post by bbodie52 »

:wrench: It is possible to remove the engine only to replace a Corvair torque converter, but it is not really that much easier or simpler than dropping the entire powertrain. Either way involves raising the car high on four jack stands, and then using a hydraulic floor jack or transmission jack in something of a balancing act while you detach the connections and lower the engine or complete powertrain to the floor. The first time I did this was in 1969, when I was sixteen year old. I removed the engine in a 1963 Corvair by detaching it from the Powerglide transaxle and lowered the engine alone to the floor — and managed to do so without dropping it! There was a lot of nervous perspiration, but no damage or injuries. :tongue: The next time I did such a job I lowered the entire powertrain and then separated the engine from the transaxle. I personally prefer the latter procedure. I feel that pulling the entire powertrain is really not extra work, and it is safer to separate the engine from the differential when it is safely sitting on some wood blocks near the ground. It is also a good idea to have one or two assistants present to assist you, since you are juggling heavy, bulky objects. Slow and safe is a good idea.

The starter ring gear is welded to the torque converter, and requires a special process to properly align and weld on a replacement. You should plan on buying a rebuilt/reconditioned torque converter.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=134

If you need a shop manual or other references to guide you, they can be downloaded in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost. Follow the link below to access the necessary websites. Shop manuals can also be purchased in hard copy on eBay, Amazon.com, Clark's Corvair Parts, etc.

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites
Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

You did not mention your location. There are many CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters throughout the USA and some in Canada. The above link also includes a link to the CORSA website list of CORSA chapters. If there is a CORSA club chapter near you, you might find it enjoyable and beneficial to join a local CORSA chapter. Club members can provide helpful advice, and often you will find volunteers to help you with a large project like pulling a Corvair powertrain and replacing a broken torque converter.

The two attachments below should be informative. The first is an extract from the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual that covers removal of the powertrain and separation of the transaxle from the engine. The second attachment is a Chevrolet brochure that depicts powertrain removal. It was written for an Early Model Corvair, but the procedure for a LM Corvair is very similar. The differences are covered in the 1965 shop manual.
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE POWERTRAIN REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE POWERTRAIN REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(3.76 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation.pdf
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
rudyck

Post by rudyck »

Brad, thanks for your reply. I am not personally doing this job, I'm 83 and find it too hard to work under the car. I am a newbee to this forum, but not corvairs. I was a member of the virtual vairs when I had a 67 monza vert, but when I sold that several years ago, I lost interest in corvairs until I purchased my current 66 monza vert in early 2013.
I live in Arkansas and used to belong to the Green County Corvair Club and also the Arkansas Corvair Club. I have rejoined CORSA but not any local club, yet. Over the years I have owned about a dozen corvairs, both EM and LM models. I prefer the looks and engineering of the LM's.
The mechanic that is going to do my job has a transmission business locally and has removed both corvair and VW engines in the past, so I feel confident that he can to the job. I purchased a rebuilt TC & ring grear thru him since he had the resources. Saved a lot of money over Clarks price. I did buy the gasket set from Clarks and also a set of valve cover gaskets.
I have a lot of work to do on this driver corvair, so I hope to be a regular on this forum.
Thanks again for your help and I'll let you and the forum know how things turned out. The job will be done during the Thanksgiving-Christmas period. Happy Thanksgiving.

Rudyck
66 Monza Vert
Rogers, Arkansas
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Good to hear that you are making progress. I hope your starter is OK. Sometimes the starter nose housing will crack or break under the uneven stress when the clutch or torque converter ring gear fails.

If you can, post some pictures of your Corvair. I would love to see it. I know something of what you mean about climbing under cars. I will turn 61 next month (my wife of 41 years turned 61 yesterday). It is getting harder and harder to move around under my cars, and invariably I discover that the tool I need is not under the car with me and I have to struggle back to a standing position again! :sad5: But I'm happy to hear you are still active with Corvairs. My current 1966 Corsa convertible was purchased in June 2012 after going without a Corvair in the family since 1995. It is our tenth family Corvair, with about half of them 1961-1963 models and the remainder 1965-1966 model years. (I still would love to buy another EM Corvair. Maybe some day...)

Good luck with getting your Corvair back on the road!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
rudyck

Post by rudyck »

Brad, you mentioned the starter---------that's where it all started. Several months ago I had to replace the started because the nose broke. I think trying to start the car with the bad starter was the beginning of my problems. I was able to purchase a rebuilt starter, installed it, and all seemed ok. A month or so later, it started acting up again and I pulled the starter, it was fine, but the ring gear was toast. So that's where I am today, and being in Northwest Arkansas, it's hard to find someone that can work on a corvair. I just hope that this new ring gear will last 47 years like the old one. Thanks again for your assistance. Here's my dependent..
Attachments
66 Corvair Monza 110
66 Corvair Monza 110
66 Corvair Monza 110
66 Corvair Monza 110

Return to “Corvair Talk”