cable shifter

Anything Corvair related
mrg

cable shifter

Post by mrg »

I’m restoring 1962 Spyder. I will or I’m planning to build a center counsel. In order to do that I need to raise and replace my stick shifter to a shorter one. Has anyone out there done that and has anyone replaced rod with a cable shifter? Would cable work?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: cable shifter

Post by bbodie52 »

:think:
This Corvair-focused Autocross website page discusses the Corvair shift linkage extensively, and describes its operation. I don't see how any form of cable shifter could be adapted, but fine-tuning the existing linkage may also allow you to modify it a bit to work within the confines of a center console.

:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/shifter.html

This web page discusses a Corvair V8 conversion using a Porsche 930 transaxle. Some pictures are available, and may be of some interest to you.

:link: http://corvairsnorthwest.org/V8Vair/home.html

Here are some of Clark's Corvair Parts offerings for improving the shift mechanism...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=115
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
mrg

Post by mrg »

Thank you. There has to be a way...Porsche had cable. I believe that the Corvair was designed around Porsche and or VW.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I realize that there may be a way to adapt a cable shifter, and that is why I included a reference that describes such an adaptation with a Porsche transmission. But I really don't have any experience with cable shifters, so I don't know if such a unit can be adapted to the Corvair transmission. The autocross reference describes the function of the standard Corvair shift mechanism fairly extensively. If a cable shifter can duplicate those functions, it might be possible to adapt it for use in a Corvair with a Corvair transmission.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

A shorter shifter is easy - just cut your old one down and then rethread for a new handle.

I'm sure a cable could be adapted but the time and money may not justify the result

Corvair was not designed around the Porsche or VW

A quick shift kit will decrease the travel of the shifter .
Attachments
1277.JPG
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
mrg

Post by mrg »

Thanks guys, by the way, expense is not an issue. When I'm done with this thing everyone will be drooling over it. I'll post a picture, hopefully before Christmas.

mrg

Return to “Corvair Talk”