Bike/Kayak/luggage rack for EM vert?

Anything Corvair related
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Bike/Kayak/luggage rack for EM vert?

Post by bbodie52 »

freedo wrote:how hard is it to get a trailer hitch for a corvair?
bbodie52 wrote: :think: :idea: [July 18] JT Vairs recently introduced a towing hitch design for 1965-1969 Corvairs, and is currently developing one for Early Model, Lakewood, and FC Vans and Trucks. It may not be a complete solution for all of the issues addressed in this thread, but it may be a partial solution -- especially if a small, lightweight trailer is utilized with your Corvair.

:link: http://jtvairs.com/stuffforsale.html
:camptrailer:
JTVairs wrote:Late model hitches available! $115 includes shipping for this great hitch for your late model Corvair. It barely shows when installed, and works just great for those light loads, small trailers behind your ride. Keep the junk out of the trunk! Some small trailers are available and this hitch is a perfect fit.

COMING SOON: early model, FC and wagon versions.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Augie

Post by Augie »

The problem with that style Hitch is that you cannot mount a bike rack on it... a receiver style would be much better.
1962 Monza 900 4dr Powerglide
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

How cool would it be to install a roll bar with some flat pads and threaded holes on the side or top, so you could mount a rack when the top is down? That would be trick!
Augie

Post by Augie »

The wind noise would be horrid..IMHO!lol
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:whoa:
Augie wrote:The problem with that style Hitch is that you cannot mount a bike rack on it... a receiver style would be much better.
:think: :idea:
Image Swagman 3 Bike Carrier Ball Hole Mounted Bike Rack
Swagman Hitch Bike Racks - S64101
The simple design on this original three-bike rack offers riders basic carrier functionality. Its solid steel construction provides lasting toughness. Kraton vinyl cushioning helps protect frames and offers additional gripping power. The top plate accommodates several different frame sizes. Keep your bikes safe by adding a couple of optional padlocks. This rack attaches to a flat surface with a 3/4" diameter hole, making it great for step bumpers or trailer hitch ball mounts.
Features:
Carries up to 3 bikes
Solid steel construction
Kraton vinyl cushioning helps protect frames and offers additional gripping power
Flexible top plate accommodates several different frame sizes
Turning knobs with top plate secure bikes to the rack
Bikes can be locked to the rack with 2 padlocks (sold separately)

Specs:
Holes for optional padlocks are 5/8" in diameter
Attaches to a flat surface with a 3/4" diameter hole, making it great for step bumpers or trailer hitch ball mounts
If you have a 2" trailer hitch receiver, a bushing and hitch ball with a 3/4" shank are required
Limited lifetime warranty
:link: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Rack ... 64101.html

Bike Carrier installed through a ball hole on the step bumper.

Customer Reviews

Average Customer Rating: ImageImageImageImageImage 4.6 out of 5 stars (5 Customer Reviews)

by: Ron S. 06/16/2012

Worked good, it held all three bikes, but it kept wanting to shift to the right and left when I made turns. Maybe I just need to tighten it a bit more.

by: Greg W 05/22/2012

Great product, very built.

by: Rodney P. 04/19/2012

This is buy far one of the greatest product made

by: Terry L. 02/21/2012

Very heavy-duty steel construction was a must. This one is all that.

by: Brian 12/20/2010

Sweet bike hauler The product is pretty pimp (for a bike hauler); the folks over at etrailor.com were super helpful and I'll be happy to buy products from them again.

:google: I could conceive of a solution, so I did a little searching on the Web and found this after about a one-minute effort. There may be similar products on the market, but I stopped looking after I found this one.
Brad Bodie
Augie

Post by Augie »

I can't put my carbon fiber road or triathlon bike in that style of bike rack. Your not supposed to haul High end Aluminum,carbon fiber, steel or titanium by the top tube. To keep the bikes light be build the top tubes thin in the middle. They are too thin to support from that location and will end up crushing or getting dents in them because of over tightening or hitting potholes/bumps in the road.

I appreciate your enthusiasm to help though, do you ride or have any first hand experience? It is surprising that you would have overlooked this as a reason that it wouldn't work.

Of course you could conceive of a solution, but without having a more complete knowledgeable of the systems involved all you did was to regurgitate pictures and copy txt from another location on the web. As easy way to seem knowledge with out really understanding the problem. Adding truly useful content is a bit more difficult at times I think.
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

+1. I already have a $650 4-bike Thule 2" hitch rack, the kind that the bikes sit on a wheel tray with a racheting stabilizer bar. Love that rack, takes about 10 seconds to secure bikes on it and no rubbing with adjacent bikes guaranteed. It does hang about 4 feet off the back of them car when all 4 are installed (it's a 2 bike+2 bike add on setup). A 2" receiver would be perfect!
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Augie

Post by Augie »

That is what Im working on for ya!
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Augie wrote:The wind noise would be horrid..IMHO!lol
No, actually I was thinking of more of a low-mount side-to-side setup that would occupy a bit of the rear seat space.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Augie wrote:I can't put my carbon fiber road or triathlon bike in that style of bike rack. Your not supposed to haul High end Aluminum,carbon fiber, steel or titanium by the top tube. To keep the bikes light be build the top tubes thin in the middle. They are too thin to support from that location and will end up crushing or getting dents in them because of over tightening or hitting potholes/bumps in the road.

I appreciate your enthusiasm to help though, do you ride or have any first hand experience? It is surprising that you would have overlooked this as a reason that it wouldn't work.

Of course you could conceive of a solution, but without having a more complete knowledgeable of the systems involved all you did was to regurgitate pictures and copy txt from another location on the web. As easy way to seem knowledge with out really understanding the problem. Adding truly useful content is a bit more difficult at times I think.
I simply proposed some possible solutions for Corvair owners that they might have been unaware of. Personally I was pleased to discover that someone had designed a bike rack that offers another option for mounting on a vehicle that lacks a 2" receiver hitch (unlikely to be found on a Corvair passenger car). This hitch and rack combination would work for me and for many families who wish to transport less-exotic bicycles to locations for family outings, mountain biking, etc. Your previously unspecified special needs for a carrier that will work with exotic carbon fiber, titanium frames, etc. is a unique consideration that many bicyclists would not be concerned about. Obviously this type of bike rack works for many bicycle owners who have less-specialized needs.

Perhaps you will offer a solution with some "truly useful content" someday.
Brad Bodie
Augie

Post by Augie »

bbodie52 wrote: I simply proposed some possible solutions for Corvair owners that they might have been unaware of. Personally I was pleased to discover that someone had designed a bike rack that offers another option for mounting on a vehicle that lacks a 2" receiver hitch (unlikely to be found on a Corvair passenger car). This hitch and rack combination would work for me and for many families who wish to transport less-exotic bicycles to locations for family outings, mountain biking, etc. Your previously unspecified special needs for a carrier that will work with exotic carbon fiber, titanium frames, etc. is a unique consideration that many bicyclists would not be concerned about. Obviously this type of bike rack works for many bicycle owners who have less-specialized needs.

Perhaps you will offer a solution with some "truly useful content" someday.

Anyone who spent more than $300.00 on a bike at a Local Bike Shop shouldn't be using one of the top tube style bike carriers. So if $300 is exotic...... The reason that the 1 1/4" or 2" receiver style hitch isn't found on the Corvair is that we are a niche market and it isn't profitable to make one. Most passenger cars today have an option for a receiver style "hidden hitch" The Receiver style also makes it easier to use a small trailer, or any of the other hitch style accessories for your car, like a luggage tray or cargo box.

Brad I think what this really is about is your need to "fill the page". Brevity is wonderful. Maybe one pic a short description and a link, not 8 pics(one is already in the thread a couple of times) a lengthy description and all of the customer reviews. I almost think that you are posting to either, get your post count up, see your self talk, or because you "need to feel useful". Think Mark Tawain "I made this [letter] very long, because I did not have the leisure to make it shorter." Maybe you don't have the time to make it shorter, then just don't post.

Ill also put this here, when I read a intro from a new member I don't want to see your page long, or more, post about how you have been involved, owned, yada yada yada. It is supposed to be about the new guy not you. You don't need to show the new guy how cool you are, just say hi and let him tell his story.

Relax. You don't have to be right, you don't have to have the answers, we will still like you if you post half as much, we might like you more. :tu:

Return to “Corvair Talk”