Parts!!

Anything Corvair related
RAV_AIR

Parts!!

Post by RAV_AIR »

Ordered a buttload of rear end parts tonight... new gabriel Red Ryders, Heavy duty coil springs (front and back ones), new lower control arm bushings, and a couple other goodies....

can't wait to get it all in!!!

Ryan
Vanman

Re: Parts!!

Post by Vanman »

Cool. Do it to it.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
RAV_AIR

Post by RAV_AIR »

yeah it's been getting downright scary to drive. the camber on the back is really bad so it feels like I'm driving n ball bearings in the back. Snow is the scariest part... I went with the HD springs not just for the lowering, but because I keep a LOT of crap in my trunk most of the time and need the extra "help"
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Stock springs are wayyy too soft anyway, especially with radials. Even with HD on mine, at times I wish it was just a bit stiffer.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

RAV_AIR wrote:yeah it's been getting downright scary to drive. the camber on the back is really bad so it feels like I'm driving n ball bearings in the back.

Thats probably not camber doing that, camber wont do much in regaurds to handling, maybe reduce the contact area in extreme cases, causing loss of traction. But Toe in, or out that is to far off will do things to you that will make your heart stop. My buddies '57 bug has way to much toe in, when he hits a bump the car will shoot one way or another. We've almost hit oncoming cars. :eek:
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Yeah - the toe in is what you need to check out Ryan. It's those 4 bolts on each side that hold the front of the trailing arm to the chassis. The holes are slotted so the arm can slide. My Vette uses a similar set-up except it uses shims instead of slotted holes. Often poor toe setting will show as cupping on the tire on the innner or outer side depending on which way the toe is off.
Attachments
lemon1.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
vaporloc

Post by vaporloc »

I put 4 new HD springs on my 65 Corsa vert. I didn't read the small print. I was thinking the car sat to low compared to my 66 turbo vert. Well the HD springs made it sit even lower. On my soon to do list is to take them off and put the old springs back on. If I would have read Clarks add a little better, it states clearly it will lower the car, not raise it.. A stupid on my part.. :doh:

Return to “Corvair Talk”