What does this forum think? (Corvair content!)

Anything Corvair related
RAV_AIR

What does this forum think? (Corvair content!)

Post by RAV_AIR »

I know some of you are also CCer's. some ex CCer's...

For some time now, I've been thinking of selling my corvair to get something more "normal". My plan was to take a HUGE (like 3000-3500 dollar) loss and sell the Corvair and my truck, and buy myself something that i could get into and drive for like 5k.

I've been really happy with that thought until i started thinking about what my Corvair really needs. Basically, new Lower Control arm bushings, new tires, and a full paint job.

The paint job sounds like a big job, right? Well, yes.. I thought the same thing until i decided to price out ALL of the parts, tools, and materials (including paint) to finish my car doing the work myself. And that's where it got interesting.

To get a new car, I'd be selling mine for 1800, taking easily a 32-3500 dollar loss. then using 3k of my own money plus that to buy another car. that's 4.8-5k.

OR... Keep the Corvair, and for under 3 k of that same money I would have spent for something else, I could finish my Corvair just the way I want, but in reality, compared to buying another car, that's a 32-3500 dollar savings.

is this making sense?

So I'm at a crossroads here and here's my biggest dilemma.

We live in an apartment complex. To do this work I need garage space. I really don't want to ask Keith (many of you know him from CC as wkleslie), partially because I don't want to put him out, and partially because I'm afraid he'll say no.

So the big question is, basically if I do it...WHERE am I going to do it....

What do you all think?

Ryan
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: What does this forum think? (Corvair content!)

Post by Scott H »

Even if you just look at your situation from the most basic financial angle...
You've got a classic car almost all the way restored and if you take care of it, it will only go up in value. The other more "normal" car will only depreciate, even if kept up properly.

You do have a big dilemma for space. I'm sure another Vair enthusiast (if you have one close enough to you with space) will let you, and even help you do it at their place. All you can do is ask, that will eliminate the limbo you're in now.

(disclaimer: I know very little about doing body work) Can you sand and do the body work at the apartment then drive the car somewhere where there aren't any other cars around and rattle can primer it so it doesn't rust until you get it basically ready for the shop to paint?
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

First of all, its not all about paint. I used to be that way, till I realized I cant afford to paint my cars. Said F it and just enjoy them. If you have a ok daily driver, then keep the Vair in a running condition. And do small projects on it that you can do in a weekend and be done with that project so you can keep it mobile. If you have somewhere to work on it.

Now if you dont have anywhere to work on it thats something you need to decide whats more practicle. But if you have dependable car to drive, then whats the rush to loose money? Now is not the time to sell anything unless you have patience, the market is flooded with vehicles, its a buyers market, or if you have to sell.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
RAV_AIR

Post by RAV_AIR »

Scott- not really, good body work requires that the car be stationary until it is complete. even if you use Epoxy primer, which generally seals out moisture, it will still get contaminated, chipped, etc.

I can drive the truck for a while while I work on it. The truck is running fine...needs a 70 dollar blinker switch, and the mufflers I already have to put on it.

VanMan, I plan on keeping this car for a long time unless situations like this happen again. I don't need to sell it. the paint on it is horrible and flaking, and the windows need to be removed and resealed ANYWAY, so...I might as well go all the way.
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

I know this is more money... Is there a storage unit type place with a car size storage that you could rent for a month or two? You could always do a panel or two at a time, get the work done and spray some primer on it. I've done this, had one car in primer for darn close to a year before I could spray it. It held up great with the epoxy primer and no issues after it was painted.

Personally, I would get all of the mechanical done first. Get it dependable, warm, and handling good. Than worry about the paint. :)
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
mamavair

Post by mamavair »

I agree with 4carbcorvair. It would be cheaper (and a more happy situation for you cause you'd be able to keep your corvair) to rent a storage unit...cover the inside with a bunch of cheap plastic and let her rip.
Ira

Post by Ira »

I hear you!

I'm in the same boat. I own a nice townhome but it has no garage and only one parking space. If my dad didn't own a street rod shop (located 235 miles away unfortunately), I wouldn't be able to build any of the cars I/we have. All of the work I do here in Denver, I do at my mother and father in laws... so I agree... it's tough to have a nice car but no where to put it or work on it. Check out my posting today in Garage Talk and see what I ended up giving up due to lack of space... though what you could ask is why did I purchase it at all.

Unfortunately though, selling any car in this economy is going to be rough... in our (my dad and I) case-real rough.

So I guess what you have to ask yourself is- "What do I really want?" And the second question after that would be how deep do you want to dig financially? :think:

I think you're on the right track; weighing your options and doing the math... the starting point for any project. I know this is trite but... only you know the answer.

Good luck!

IRa :chevy:

Return to “Corvair Talk”