140 carb linkage..

Anything Corvair related
vaporloc

140 carb linkage..

Post by vaporloc »

Has anyone ever done away with the progressive linkage on a 140 and made all 4 carbs. work at the same time?? If so, how did it run? How did you do it? I was just thinking of trying it... :think:
Yenko117

Re: 140 carb linkage..

Post by Yenko117 »

I'm thinking you'd want the secondaries to come on a little after the primaries, otherwise you'll dump too much fuel into the motor at a low RPM and it won't be happy. I do a little trick on my '66 and later linkage, by replacing the springs with lengths of metal brake line to make it a little more positive. You can always try to adjust the secondary rods up as much as possible and see how you like it.

Mike
YS-117
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

The rate at which the secondaries kick on due to the linkage, they come on quite quickly. They are designed to start opening at about 3/4 throttle and fully open at full throttle. The best linkage I had on mine was the linkage that a PO had installed. It consisted of threaded rods, and nuts. Double nutted on both sides of the secondary attachement point for positive on, and double nutted on the back side so they come off when the throttle is off, sort of pulls them off. I'm thinking about putting these back on as my stock linkage with springs always needs adjusting as they seem to turn themselves. I can tell when they are opening way too soon, as in at about 1/4 throttle as power is actually down. Engine seems to like it best when they come on at about 3/4 throttle.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
vaporloc

Post by vaporloc »

The car I was talking about is my 65 140 vert. Anyway after thinking about it and reading your posts, I should probably just leave it alone. See when I had my 421 super duty pontiac with three 2's on it, I done away with the progressive carb linkage for awhile and remembered how good it ran.. Probably a little to much for a corvair.
vaporloc

Post by vaporloc »

Yenko117 wrote:I'm thinking you'd want the secondaries to come on a little after the primaries, otherwise you'll dump too much fuel into the motor at a low RPM and it won't be happy. I do a little trick on my '66 and later linkage, by replacing the springs with lengths of metal brake line to make it a little more positive. You can always try to adjust the secondary rods up as much as possible and see how you like it.

Mike
YS-117
Yea I know yesterday I said I wasn't going to mess with it.. Well today I did. I set it up so secondaries start to open at about 1/3rd. throttle.. Talk about a difference. I think I like it that way.. You can pull out like normal. Drive like normal but; with just a little more pedal you can feel it really coming on stronger then it use to. I'm going to drive it that way for awhile. I'll be keeping a close eye on engine temp and pull the plugs out to check them more often then normal.. So far so good. :fingerscrossed:
Yenko117

Post by Yenko117 »

Sounds like fun. We're covered in white s**t and salt here in VA, but as soon as it's clear I've got a 140 car that's itching for a little tuning - I may try that as well.

Mike
YS-117
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

All six of my throttle plates open in unison with no hesitation :burnout:
Attachments
1064.jpg
1064.jpg (156.32 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

I am jealous I only have one carb.
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
vaporloc

Post by vaporloc »

UNSAFE wrote:All six of my throttle plates open in unison with no hesitation :burnout:
Yea and I can tell by looking at the engine, it is bone stock. GGGG :wave:
Yenko117

Post by Yenko117 »

There is a legitimate difference between Kevin's motor and a stock set-up - it's the plenum beneath the carbs. Schardt tried to get it to work with a Weber, but it did not give good results. The stock set up with the shared plenum (manifold) has the ability to make all of that fuel available to just the one chamber (intake valve) that opens up first. That's my basis for a concern of having both carbs dump at the same time.

Mike
YS-117
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Mike wrote >>>>There is a legitimate difference between Kevin's motor and a stock set-up - it's the plenum beneath the carbs.Schardt tried to get it to work with a Weber, but it did not give good results. The stock set up with the shared plenum (manifold) has the ability to make all of that fuel available to just the one chamber (intake valve) that opens up first. That's my basis for a concern of having both carbs dump at the same time.<<<

Yea - a major difference . Michael LeVeque explained that to me some years back.

With my Webers on individual runner (IR) intake manifolds each barrel feeds only one cylinder with no mingling of the mixture .

With a stock 4 carb engine both barrels on one side are available to feed one cylinder at a time thru the plenum. Since only one cylinder sucks at a time it is actually allowing more cfms to be available to each cylinder than my six barrels of Weber carbs. --

---- But there is way more to it than just available cfm. :burnout:

All carbs are not the same just like all EFI systems aren't the same but I'll save that for another day :rafman:
Attachments
ROCKERS2.JPG
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Corvair Talk”