Civil Defense Radio....

Anything Corvair related
vaporloc

Civil Defense Radio....

Post by vaporloc »

I'am not sure but I was talking to an elderly friend today and he was looking at my Corvairs.. He noticed a EM Corvair radio on my bench.. He picked it up and said just as I remember, It has the Civil Defense markers... I said, do what.. He pointed to these little triangles and said back when these radios were made, they had dedicated civil defense channels.. In a time of war or emergency, you would tune into the triangles to get information.. Is this a fact or is this old mans clutch slipping a little? I never heard anything like that..
radio EM.JPG
radio EM.JPG (43.48 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Civil Defense Radio....

Post by Scott H »

wow, I have never heard that before. He's probably right.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

Fact. There was a lot of concern in the '50s and early '60s about a nuclear attack from Russia. Elaborate plans for evacuating cities were put in place, people built fallout shelters, and school kids practiced "duck-and-cover" (basically hiding under their desks). The Civil Defense channels were part of the "preparations". Of course none of it would have worked -- a fact the "experts" admitted years later. It was all a ruse to placate a worried populous. Btw, I graduated from high school in '57 and lived through those years.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Yup, very true. As Dave pointed out. :)
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
Wabbitkiller

Post by Wabbitkiller »

Not to be harsh or cynical, but I can't help but laugh at some of the idiot sheep that actually bought into all that civil defense BS that the Gov't was selling. Anyone with half a brain would have, in light of Hiroshima (which was a SMALL bomb when compared to the ones built during the cold war), realized that if a bomb was going to hit them that the ONLY manuver was to place their heads between their legs to kiss their asses goodbye.

To be fair people were, and still are, gullable so some things never change!
Chris

1965 Monza Convertible 95/4

Olathe, KS
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

Wabbitkiller wrote:Not to be harsh or cynical, but I can't help but laugh at some of the idiot sheep that actually bought into all that civil defense BS that the Gov't was selling. Anyone with half a brain would have, in light of Hiroshima (which was a SMALL bomb when compared to the ones built during the cold war), realized that if a bomb was going to hit them that the ONLY manuver was to place their heads between their legs to kiss their asses goodbye.

To be fair people were, and still are, gullable so some things never change!
Oh, yeah, and they had posted evacuation routes. Even as a grade school kid, I knew it was all bogus and felt the best place to be was at ground zero -- instant vaporization being better than a slow death from radiation poisoning. In the early to mid 60s, IBM subsidized the building of underground fallout shelters in employee's homes. You can still see some of them in older parts of Rochester.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
Leon Renaud

Post by Leon Renaud »

I remember these as" Connelrad"(SP?)Stations and you need to remember that these were put in place before most of us ever saw a real Atomic Bomb blast!Back in a time when a German sub could sink a ship right in sight of Coney Island Amusment Park and we could be made to believe it was "an accident caused the sinking "even though people from the park could clearly see the sub finish the ship with it's deck gun! These stations still exist but are now almost redundent with modern communications every channel almost instantly carries disaster news today and power back up etc. is common place back then not every station could operate in an emergency situation.The government could cover up a great deal back then convincing people it was best for "National security"today there'd be 100 Utube videos of that sinking in 5 minutes!
TonyL
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TonyL »

Pro-touring 66 Corvair Monza
Got an FQuick account yet? Get one! it's like Facebook for your car!

Return to “Corvair Talk”