fuel injection questions

Anything Corvair related
Trip

fuel injection questions

Post by Trip »

Hey guys. I know a few people here are experienced with fuel injecting Corvair engines.

The odds are I will decide this isn't the way to go but...

I'm looking to make a Corvair as easy and efficient to drive as possible for Missy. I don't think she'll mind me telling you that she has absolutely no feel or ear for mechanical things and the carburetor cars drive her nuts at times.

The proper solution is to get a car running really perfect for her, but a fuel injection setup would probably make her very happy.

Keep in mind:
1) This is not a performance build, it's a reliability and economy build.
2) The cost needs to be kept to a minimum.

Any advice welcome! I have the tech guide with some instructions for FI setups, but those articles are old (use parts no longer readily available in salvage yards) and are performance oriented generally.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
Scott V

Re: fuel injection questions

Post by Scott V »

Grymm wrote:Hey guys. I know a few people here are experienced with fuel injecting Corvair engines.
-cut-
1) This is not a performance build, it's a reliability and economy build.
2) The cost needs to be kept to a minimum.
-cut-
1. whats your idea of minimum costs?
2. are you looking for a system ready to go or are you ok w/doing some work - makeing parts, soldering wires, etc?
3. do you want a complete kit or would it be ok if you got some parts yourself - like @ a junk yard/swap meet, etc?

-Scott V.
Trip

Post by Trip »

cost <$500

Willing to do work but have limited skills in that area. I could have my brother do soldering (he does that kind of thing professionally). Not sure what kind of parts I'd have to make.. I have basic mechanical skills and decent tools. Cheap wire feed welder but no torches... etc.

I can chase down parts myself, that is part of the fun =)
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

it can be done for <$500 but id think only if you have good skills in that area or have someone working w/you that has the skills. the efi computer can be had for $100 - $300 but theres a bunch of other stuff you need to make it work & that stuff is going to be over your $500 ttl cost - if you do it right.

suggestion - a set of vair carbs rebuilt right & working right are pretty trouble free & would be just fine. id say your $500 is better spent getting a nice set of rebuilt carbs & makeing sure the rest of the stuff like the ignition system is on the mark - maybe add a ignition amp like msd/crane/mallory/second strike/etc..

if the car sits for days @ a time w/o running maybe add a electric fuel pump so you dont have to crank the engine to fill the carbs & get it started.

-Scott V.
Trip

Post by Trip »

That's more or less what I expected Scott. Plan "A" is actually to get one running really really well, the FI setup was an alternative I wanted to at least take a quick look at.

I'm starting to suspect that part of the problem might be with the PG more than the engine. I don't know much about automatic transmissions but I feel like the stall speed on the converter is too low. The main problem we have is a hesitation when leaving a stop sign or red light that just keeps coming back no matter what I do.

It's a hundred times better than it was when I started but it still happens a bit here and there. When I'm driving my foot modulates the pedal a little without my even realizing it (subconscious), but when Missy is driving it will occasionally stall under these conditions. At this point I think it's only when the engine isn't fully up to operating temp.

The ignition system is an Ignitor I with new stock coil. Carbs could still have something to do with it, I've gone through them myself but they haven't been done by a pro.

I've tracked down every possible vacuum leak, set the float level, changed the jets once, then back to what they were (both sizes tried were stock sizes, 31 and 33 I think).

The problem might actually be gone at this point. She did have it do this a couple days ago but I remembered I had retarded the timing a bit last week when working on it (found a vacuum leak on the balance tube hose) and today I put it back where it should be. More test driving is in order at this point.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Scott V wrote: if the car sits for days @ a time w/o running maybe add a electric fuel pump so you dont have to crank the engine to fill the carbs & get it started.
One little side note...I actually don't mind waiting for the carb bowls to refill after a long period of storage. It allows the oil pump to build pressure in the system bfore the cylinders begin firing. A little extra cranking time on the starter is a good trade off for having oil circulating before the engine fires up.

For me, going to fuel injection would be done more for the challenge of it and not so much for the drivability and other benefits. My carbs and points ignition have served me well for many years. I have Pertronics ignition in a few cars yes but fuel injection is a huge step, especially when attempted on a tight budget.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

the dual tbi kit is $1000 over his budjet - nice kit but way over his price range.

-Scott V.
zappaz

Post by zappaz »

any thoughts to propane convershion ? ive heard about the remote carb set up in diferant locals good and bad
ive heard and seen awsum things about propane has any one seen or heard of the convershion in a corvair ?
any thoughts ?
USAF_vair

Post by USAF_vair »

hello,

done work with a-number of corvairs with fuel injection. as mentioned above, you can simply control fuel injection to simply add gas like a carb would for a few hundred dollars or you can investe a little more and make a corvair engine into a Digital conversion where power and fuel economy are gained. but the issue is price tag and customization. here at our shop we are just about to come out with a kit that would try to aim for the middle conversion of making a stock corvair engine and carb set up into a fuel injection conversion and be installed at your home with a few hours of work.
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

USAF_vair pm sent.

-Scott V.
Trip

Post by Trip »

I look forward to seeing what you guys make available USAF_vair!
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible

Return to “Corvair Talk”