EM's are best.
44%
My Dad can beat up your Dad.
14%

Total votes: 638

harleyrider

Re: LM vs. EM Debate.

Post by harleyrider »

I have owned 23 Corvairs in the past 20+ years - 20 Earlies and 3 Lates. I think that pretty much tells you my preference :tu:

Bob
Bob

1963 Monza Coupe, 140HP, 4 speed
1965 Monza Coupe, 110HP, PG

wbabst

Post by wbabst »

When I was a kid we had a 65 Corsa, red with mag rims and an oil leak that had us kids complaining all the time. We lived in northern Maine so the heater was always on, and the car stunk from the oil. My dad eventually sold it and have been told many times that he only sold it because of us kids. I am on my third early model and would concur that the LM's are sexy to look at and would really enjoy a nice coupe or convertible. Still though I really like the EM's They are just so much fun and well I think great looking little cars.
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
Aaronb1958

Post by Aaronb1958 »

Judging strictly on the overall look of the cars, I'm literally deadlocked! In my opinion both the EM and LM cars are equally as gorgeous, they each have their unique flares and design quirks. Being as I've never driven either of them, I cant say much to the performance or driving feel of the two types though. :chevy:
squidlong

Post by squidlong »

Late models take the cake on technical advancements but earlies are soooo much more fun to drive and have that "classic" Chevy look that everybody seems to like. Late models had Don Yenko but earlies had John Fitch, Sterling Moss AND Steve McQueen so the comparison is something like asking whether you would like a free hundred dollar bill or two fifties :guitar:
"Caddy" Mike :chevy:
Marion, IN
'66 Monza Coupe 140
'64 Corvair "700" Coupe (owner conversion)
'57 Cadillac Coupe
'64 Cadillac Coupe "500 cid"
'61 Chevy Biscayne "327"
toytron

Post by toytron »

Aaron, I agree. I like both EM and LM models because of their differing styles. I currently own LM's but I am looking forward to the day I get my hands on an Early besides the other models. Lol

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
MyLonewolf25

Post by MyLonewolf25 »

Noob question

What's the style difference between em and lm? I know lm is more stout drivetrain wise and better suspension wise

But what else are the major differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The EM (Early Model -- 1960-1964) and LM (Late Model -- 1965-1969) designation points to a Corvair redesign year in which a complrtely new body and interior was produced. In addition, the drum brakes were enlarged and the rear suspension was completely redesigned -- copying the basic rear suspension design from the Corvette Stingray of that time period. The engine lineup added a four carburetor, dual exhaust 140 hp version with larger valves in the heads, and a modified turbocharger that increased the turbo horsepower engine rating from 150 to 180 hp. The front suspension design in 1965-69 remained very similar to the design found in the 1964 Corvair.

To read more detail and see photos showing the EM vs LM changes, click on the following :link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=12776&p=87594&hili ... ion#p87594
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Mechanically, LM. Stylistically, EM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
Trip

Post by Trip »

I love how close the poll runs.... LM's are currently up by ONE vote after over 500 votes!

I love both about equally now, though I really dislike how difficult it is to get fat tires/wheels under an EM. Something interesting though, I had LM's long before EM's and I expected the EM's to feel significantly inferior in terms of handling, and when I started driving the EM's found I like the handling just as well if not better when engaging in spirited driving. I'm not saying the LM isn't a better handler objectively, just that I enjoy the handling of the EM equally or better than the LM.

I might almost be willing to say I prefer driving the EM's... almost. EM's definitely have a much more interesting interior, especially in colors like red and blue. Also when it comes to convertibles EM's rule! As evidence I present the fact that EM converibles don't need coffee cans full of oil at all four corners to keep them from shaking like one of John Delorean's "half of an eight" four cylinder Tempest engines! :rolling: Also the fact that a rust bucket EM 'vert doesn't fold in half if you open both doors. :tongue:
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've got almost 100 currently so I do have some opinions. EMs are more solid. LMs have better rear suspension and '66 up have better A/C. I know '65 and prior transmissions aren't as stout but they sure do shift better. EMs shift better also without all the tube junk.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
toytron

Post by toytron »

Joel you're my hero.....are you adopting? Lol

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Ed,
Just saw your post. Funny!
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
toytron

Post by toytron »

joelsplace wrote:Ed,
Just saw your post. Funny!
[emoji12]

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
VairsRule

Post by VairsRule »

atwistedgrip wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:56 am I prefer the look of an EM 4 doors and a LM 2 door... but that's another debate.
Besides, I'm not sure my opinion counts. I've never owned a car yet... I'm a FC guy.
Me too.

As for which is better...

The early is the original Corvair, and has a smoother ride and drives more like a big car than the late model cars. The early Corvair is far superior to the VWs of the same era (all models). One thing about the early sedan that bugs me is that I am 6 feet tall, and tend to hit my head on the door jamb when getting in and out of the car.

The late is the better design style-wise and has many major improvements, including fully-independent rear suspension and better brakes. They are sportier looking and handle and stop better, but have a rather bumpy ride up front. The air dam was also an important and needed improvement GM added to the late model cars in mid-production.
JohnnyBoomBoom

Post by JohnnyBoomBoom »

Image1551024571.996387.jpg
my preference,

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
62droptop

Post by 62droptop »

I just voted and put the EM's ahead

Return to “Corvair Talk”