Turbo turbine seal gap

Anything Corvair related
KenHenry

Turbo turbine seal gap

Post by KenHenry »

I just installed a new turbine seal from Clark’s and could see a small gap where the seal comes together under the plastic installation retainer. The groove in the turbine shaft is totally clear of carbon and I oriented the gap “up” as I’ve seen recommended. I did not measure the gap but am wondering if this is normal/could cause oil loss into the exhaust? The seal I removed had stepped ends that would leave no gap when installed… This is a stock 180 turbo… Thanks!! Ken
1965 Corvair Corsa coupe
Rochester, NY USA
KenHenry

Re: Turbo turbine seal gap

Post by KenHenry »

The photo in Clarks webpage clearly shows the steps on the seal ends. Maybe they were there but I couldn’t see them clearly under the plastic retainer…
1965 Corvair Corsa coupe
Rochester, NY USA
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

The early seal piston ring on the turbine shaft were cut straight without the overlapping ends.

Keep in mind that ring is more to keep exhaust gasses out of the oil system more than to stop a leak. In any case I do put the overlap or the gap at the top as the turbo sits in the car. The ring does not spin, rather the shaft spins on the ring.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
KenHenry

Post by KenHenry »

Thanks Ken, seems like it should be ok then. I pulled it apart to be sure and the ends are definitely straight across. Ken
Attachments
IMG_4725.jpeg
1965 Corvair Corsa coupe
Rochester, NY USA

Return to “Corvair Talk”