More Wheel Chatter

Anything Corvair related
2LZ

More Wheel Chatter

Post by 2LZ »

Thanks to the plethora of threads about Corvair rims, etc, much like the muffler info, there's a LOT of technical info out there from years (decades) past. Lots of long write-ups, stating life lessons and sound advice about choosing the correct wheel.

Just to let you know what's in me in on my mindset, I want a rim that will be "basically" period correct. Late 60's early 70's, so my (and Mrs. 2LZ) choice is the 15X7 Torque Thrust II in polished. See attached pic.

I've read in multiple places that a 4" backspace is MINIMUM for LM Corvairs on the front. 4.5" is ideal, etc...
Keep in mind, I'm not concerned about racing or commuting in this car. It's a toy.

The ones I'm seeing that are available "off the shelf" (Ebay) are -6 offset, which makes them about 3.76" backspacing. This tells me they won't work with 205/60-15 BFG T/A's without rubbing in the front????

Anyone running this setup?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
66vairguy

Re: More Wheel Chatter

Post by 66vairguy »

Yes a lot of information. Do pick a wheel YOU like.

I run period Camaro Rally wheels since a buddy gave me two sets decades back. They are 14" with a 4.5" backspace (that is mounting side to edge of rim) and 7" wide (that is bead to bead, NOT rim to rim edge)

On the front I run a 205/70x14 and they are spec'd to fit a 6 to 7" wide rim (bead to bead) and they JUST fit the 7" wide rim and keep in mind a 70 profile is a taller sidewall. On the back I run a 235/60x14 and the 7" wide rim works well.

Both front and rear tires fit with little to spare. No fender rubbing. Keep in mind you have to make sure front tires clear the fender in a turn and the rear camber change is O.K. as the rear goes up and down.

I would go online to the tire places and find out what rim width is optimal for a low 60 profile 205/60x15. I took a quick look and a 6" to 7" wide (bead to bead) will work, but 6.5" would be ideal.

Now for some MATH: The stock Corvair LM rim was 5.5" wide (bead to bead) and had a 4:25" backspace. Any increase in width over 5.5" is divided by half to increase backspace to KEEP THE FACTORY GEOMETRY intact. At 6" wide would be a 4.5" backspace, 6.5" wide would be a 4.75" backspace, 7" wide would be 5" backspace. HOWEVER over the years my experience is that a rim 4.5" backspace is the MAXIMUM that prevents the inside of the tire/rim from rubbing body and suspension parts.

My 14x7" rims have a 4.5" backspace and while not ideal the main impact is on scrub radius in tight turns that isn't an issue at minor turn angles at speed.

Keep in mind if the caster, camber, toe-in are off this will affect tire to fender clearance.

Just my :my02:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

bbodie52 wrote:
:goodpost:

I routinely run about 27 psi front and 36 psi rear on my 1966 Monza 4-Door Sedan, fitted with Goodyear EAGLE EXHILARATE - SIZE: 215/45ZR17 Ultra High Performance All-Season tires on all four corners.

On my 1966 Corvair Monza four-door sedan I fitted Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate Ultra High Performance All-Season tires in size 215/45ZR17 on all four corners with no body modifications!

Foose Knuckle Series Gunmetal
Knuckle Size: 17x7, Wheel Lug Pattern: 5x4.75, 4" Backspacing
Scott Howey Advice:
Front= 17x7, 4" backspace, 215/45ZR17 tires.
Rear = 17x8, 4.5" backspace, 225/50ZR17 tires.

On my 1966 Corvair Corsa convertible, I run:

Front: BF Goodrich Radial T/A P205/70 R14 (7” Rim)
Overall Diameter: 25.4" Revs per Mile: 821 Sect. Width: 8.2” Tread Width: 6.2"
Rear: BF Goodrich Radial T/A P235/60 R14 (7” Rim)
Overall Diameter: 25.1" Revs per Mile: 829 Sect. Width 9.5" Tread Width 7.9"
The ideal tire diameter produces 825 revolutions per mile but can go to 850 revolutions per mile and the speedometer will only be 3% fast, or 2 MPH at 60.

NOTE: These pictures show the original Goodyear Eagle RWL tires the car was purchased with. The Goodyear Eagles are no longer available (unfortunately). :sad5:

I also installed a very good Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on the center-top padded dashboard, just under my windshield-mounted TomTom GPS system. It is very easy to mount and uses no adhesives to bond to the padded dash. No wires either, as it contains rechargeable batteries and is solar powered. It automatically turns on when the wheels turn and each sensor begins sending tire pressure data, and automatically turns off when you park the car. The illumination system also automatically comes on at dusk.

Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System-Solar Charge, 5 Alarm Modes, Auto Backlight & Sleep & Awake Mode, Tire Position Exchange, with 4 External TPMS Sensors (0-87 psi)

$79.99

:link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S7 ... UTF8&psc=1

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

I like the TPMS idea. Thanks Brad.

I think I've found what I'm looking for that "should work". Again, it's a toy, not a commuter or race car. I'm far more interested in clearance than performance.

In 2017, to quote SyntheticBlinkerFluid:
"Wherever you are looking at wheels at, you have to find what the backspace is. For a 15x7 wheel, you need at least 4" of backspace, 4.5" is probably ideal. Depending on the manufacturer, this may be listed as offset, instead of backspace. If that's the case, this is read in Millimeters. The minimum you want is a Zero offset (4" backspace on a 7" wide wheel). +13 is ideal (4.5" backspace). "

These seem to fit the criteria.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RWG- ... YsQAvD_BwE

Input? Ideas?
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."

Return to “Corvair Talk”